PDA

View Full Version : How to make the edge beveled on a panel?

twisted8
08-23-2010, 12:01 PM
How can I make the edge beveled on a panel using a CNC machine? Is it a special bit?
I'm referring to top part of the panels, it doesn't look like a straight cut, it looks like a curved beveled.
Thanks!

Hessel Oosten
08-23-2010, 03:50 PM
Hi Fabian,

In theory it can be done with a 90 degrees countersink mill/bore so the edges become 45 degrees beveled.
You can mill around the panel with a relative wide hole, but not to the total depth ...:-) at this moment.

Than the countersink mill/bore and after that milling the panel completely out of the material with the first used mill.

I tried it, but was not very enthousiast. It's more or less cumbersome.

Much faster is simply filing ! And it's better because the edge is now rounded in stead of 45 degrees straight surfaces.
Round is more realistic AND better for fixing the paint !

Hessel Oosten, The Netherlands

twisted8
08-23-2010, 04:23 PM
thank you for the tips Hessel!
by filing you mean manually sanding down the edge? with a dremel?

would a bit like this work?
http://www.amazon.com/85587M-16-Inch-Diameter-Carbide-Roundover/dp/B000IZARB4

thanks!

Hessel Oosten
08-23-2010, 04:41 PM
Fabian,

I mean filing with a filing tool, e.g: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_(tool)
Thereafter indeed sanding paper. 10 minutes for a panel.

The round tool you showed in the link has a radius of 1/16 inch = 1,58 mm, that is a little bit wide i.m.o.
This means that you cannot use the tool to maximun depth because the fillet becomes to great.

Another problem is that you have to mill a very wide hole around the panel to get this tool into it.
Look at distance F.

Furthermore the tool goes very deep (distance B and some more) so in fact the panel must already be separated from the mother material.
So in that case the tool must be in a fixed position and you have to move the panel by hand around it.
Just thoughts....
Filing: 10 miniutes ....:-).

If you try it, please let us know your results.

Hessel

twisted8
08-23-2010, 04:54 PM
ahh hehehe ok I see what you mean. thanks for the info, looks like the file is a lot more simple!
thank you

Westozy
08-23-2010, 08:05 PM
I use a 90 degree V bit and create an "on the line" toolpath. Experiment with depth of cut until the desired bevel is achieved. I use this regularly when making B737 MIP bezels, they have a 5mm deep bevelled edge around 3 sides of the monitor bezel.

Cheers, Gwyn

twisted8
08-24-2010, 08:22 AM
Ah ok I see, thanks for the tip!
would it make a flat bevel tho? I thought the panels had more of a round bevel.
thanks

spitfire9
11-15-2010, 02:18 PM
I have a router kit for my Dremel. Works good for things like that.