PDA

View Full Version : Happy to be back!

HondaCop
08-21-2010, 08:56 PM
After almost a year of having my alpha home cockpit sitting in the garage and taking on dust, I am happy to say that I am getting mack in the groove of things! During the past year, I bought a new home, moved and as such, my little B737-800NG project had been put on a holding pattern.

Today, I got tired of seeing it just sit there idling in a corner of the garage, mostly in part due to economics and also to lack of space to build it in, and convinced my wife that the garage was a great place for me to entertain myself with my free time and this project... She concurred! LOL

With this being said, I am EXTREMELY rusty, so please bear with me with my barrage of questions as I get back on track.

Speaking of which... What is still the best OS to use? Last year, I was using XP on all computers but I guess Windows 7 has really matured and I was wondering if it's viable to use Windows 7 now for all our home cockpit computers.

My build is using SimAvionics and so far I have a network comprised of 4 PCs, for the main FS PC and all avionics (Capt, Server, FO). My MIP is a combination of OpenCockpits hardware and SIOC.

Hope this helps in answering my question... I am attaching a picture of how my build stands so far. Remember, this project has been on hold for 1 year! Be gentle on your comments! hahaha

fordgt40
08-22-2010, 02:22 AM
Efrain

Welcome back!

Regards

David

Sean Nixon
08-22-2010, 02:30 AM
Hey, welcome back Efrain. Good luck with the build.

I'd stick with XP as you already have it on your PC's. I'm not sure splashing out on 4 x W7 licences is going to see any performance gains.

Is that your electrical distribution board on the back wall of your garage? I've put smaller ones in factories! LOL.

Sean

Matt Olieman
08-22-2010, 04:48 AM
Efrain, welcome back. Look forward toward seeing your progress :) :) :)

Matt Olieman

PittsburghLever
08-25-2010, 12:58 PM
Speaking of which... What is still the best OS to use? Last year, I was using XP on all computers but I guess Windows 7 has really matured and I was wondering if it's viable to use Windows 7 now for all our home cockpit computers.

I'd go with Win7. It is in all respects superior to XP IMHO. I have never had any problems of any kind with Win7:)