PDA

View Full Version : More power for gauges!

No Longer Active
08-19-2010, 07:40 AM
Hi,

Just bought this pc pretty cheap on ebay to run Peix/pm, hopefully this will do the trick!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330462178760&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_500wt_1074

Only has 512mb ram, but is it worth upgrading the ram just for the gauges?

Also, I am assuming it is a network cross over cable that I need to link them?

Cheers,

Alex

Jordan Farmer
08-19-2010, 08:19 AM
Not bad at all, that will easily run your gauges, as for the connection, do you use a router? And if so, is it placed near your main PC?

What i have done is used the router i got given by my broadband provider as the internet connection, bought a 50m ethernet cable, and routed that to my room. i then configured a netgear router to act as a secondary wireless switch, and now have full wired and wireless networking in my room. The configuration is easy enough when you have a hand from the internet and google!, and you can add as many PC's as you want.

Another option is to use a purpose built network switch to link your PC's, these can be more pricey, or at least i think, im not 100% sure in this sector but look on ebay, you may be surprised either way! :p

As for the crossover cable, im not completely sure, never tried it myself so i dont know the results, but the network switch/router is probably your best option!

Cheers,

Jordan

No Longer Active
08-19-2010, 08:33 AM
Hi,

I do have wireless in my home, but I would prefer a direct wired system (seperate), the switch idea is very cheap, I think I will go this way, also I can have up to 5 pc's with this switch and its very cheap!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LAN-Kit-Network-Cable-5-Port-Switch-PCI-Card-Adapter-UK-/280537357909?pt=UK_Computing_NetworkingTools_Accessories_SM#ht_2667wt_1089

The ebay pc will be just for gauges and radio stack, and my dual core pc will be for fs and scenery add-ons, with my simple GA pit I think that this is more or less done!

Next step is DualHead2GO for forward view (2 screens left half and right half...the 2 screens will be exact same width as my pit)...

Cheers,

Alex

Jordan Farmer
08-19-2010, 09:44 AM
Cor blimey, i wish i had gone down this route now! That really is cheap! And about the DualHead2Go, i wouldnt if i were you, as the bezels between the screen make you loose the runway centreline, or so ive heard, i would invest a bit more and go triple ;)

Sean Nixon
08-19-2010, 01:26 PM
I found older spec PC's didn't have the power to give satisfactory results, particularly with PM's OpenGL gauges, the 737 ones anyway. It's the VGA that's the problem. I don't think extra RAM will make much difference at all. I'd be interested to hear how your's turnn out.

No Longer Active
08-19-2010, 07:22 PM
Hi Sean,

When I get my second pc delivered I will hook it up on the network and try out both PM-IFR and Peix, I will give my honest opinion whether good or bad!

Cheers, Alex