PDA

View Full Version : How long are they sticking around?

No Longer Active
08-10-2010, 05:25 PM
Just curious,

Now that glass technology is commonly found in the newer models of modern GA aircraft, can we honestly say that manual gauges are to stay and not going to be phased out? Would be sad to see GA aircraft being over taken by square glass panels in the cockpit replacing the traditional gauges.

How long until gauges are phased out in the Cessna. Will be sad to see gauges go, I hope they never do. Look at it this way, if the screen goes, what do you rely on? Gauges! We need them and just hoping we have at least another ten years or so more with them!

Leo Bodnar
08-10-2010, 06:06 PM
I think the 6 pack set costs two-three times as much to manufacture and service as an equivalent functionality glass panel. What suppliers charge at the moment is another matter.

Her is your biggest reason.

Jordan Farmer
08-10-2010, 06:50 PM
Hmm, well, as nice as steam gauges are, i think glass is coming to take over! technology is developing very fast and moving needles are just old technology, and so limited, would you want to try running FSX on a Pentium III based PC? its a shame as i love seeing an aircraft with old steam gauges in but its too expensive and difficult to maintain. But there will always be steam around, just not to the extent we see today! The other thing is, they arent very affordable for us simmers either (Compare a 19'' monitor to simkits or flight illusion) :P hehe

Jordan

ian@737ng.co.uk
08-11-2010, 01:03 AM
and with all the glass we see in modern cockpits, the old mechanical gauges are
still there for backup. bit like me having a bicycle (no really, i do) in case the
car won't start :o
have a great day chaps....

ian

airdemon
08-20-2010, 01:12 PM
Cessna has already phased out steam gauges they are only building aircraft with glass
of course they have standby gauges for ais, alt, and attitude but thats it

Ronson2k9
08-20-2010, 04:08 PM
The amount of redundancy is what I think may keep steam gauges around. Take a look at automobiles for instance. Displaying the information in a digital dash has been around for a cool 30 years now and yet it's not the norm. There are what maybe 200 to 400 cars for every GA aircraft out there. Surely the cost of mass production of such equipment would make it even cheaper to make but yet people prefer (law enforcement as well) the analog gauges.

We are simply talking about a display of information here nothing new on the gathering of information. That is still being done the old fashioned way. If you think that one good solar flare could wipe out GPS as we know it. What would you do if all your guidance equipment was rooted in that? I also think there is no standardization in the electronic cockpit. At one time you could move from cockpit to cockpit and know what each gauge tells you just by it's location and look. With a glass cockpit it's a hole new ball game. You have know the system that is installed, manual, troubleshooting etc... You could have the best electrical system installed but it's still prone to failure. If that happens you'll be flying blind.

I for one would feel tons better having the gauges I can count on available to me. Augmenting your standard gauges with LCD's is fine. Everyone loves the new and improved and reducing workload can make flying less hazardous and more enjoyable (if that's possible) but I would never abandon the standard gauges.

kermit
08-21-2010, 08:20 AM
The other thing is, they arent very affordable for us simmers either (Compare a 19'' monitor to simkits or flight illusion) :P hehe

But I like the look of my simkits instruments turning :)
And after all there are after nearly 70 years ,still spitfires and others flying around.
I dont like the look of digital instruments on a screen , they look dead to me they have no soul :)
greetz

No Longer Active
08-21-2010, 08:40 AM
Be proud of gauges, its where aviation started!

Staring at 2 x squares doesn't excite me i'm afraid!

I fully agree with moving with modern times, just that I like the vintage gear!

How many training / flying schools still have cessna's with gauges? Pretty much all of them, and are they going to be in a rush to get glass tech in their aircraft...?

Probably not, gauges are going to be around for a LONG time!

Leo Bodnar
08-21-2010, 08:43 AM
You can always go cheap and old style :D
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3118/3123819348_1f18b7cb9a.jpghttp://farm4.static.flickr.com/3404/3521201705_cd0416976b.jpg

No Longer Active
08-21-2010, 09:02 AM
Leo, this your new range of cards then I see....haha! :)

Jordan Farmer
08-21-2010, 09:04 AM
very nice leo! Would be a little tough to interface in SIOC though, may need some thinking, hmmmm!

No Longer Active
08-21-2010, 09:23 AM
Very easy, just connect up a servo with an arm to a servo card and link up to your asi! lol....

Why are we actually thinking about this:shock:lol