PDA

View Full Version : Saving State of pmSystems on exit

Hans Krohn
08-05-2010, 03:18 AM
Hi all,

I am wondering how I can get pmSystems to save the position of all switches and knobs on Exit, so that there is a reasonable chance my cockpit and pmSystems will be in sync when I restart everything the next day...

I have programmed a routine into my EPIC control program that does the sync upon pressing a button, but pmSystem remembering its previous state would be better.

Any ideas or comments?
Thanks in advance,

Hans
www.hanskrohn.com

PaulEMB
08-06-2010, 01:58 PM
Hi Hans,

I remember a thread on this, I think in pmsupport forum.
It has to do with the order the pm programs are loaded, I think, PMsystems first, to allow it to poll the switch positions.

I am not able to search today, but try the hint

Hans Krohn
08-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Thanks, Paul!
I am quite sure that pmSystems will not poll an EPIC card. Maybe it does poll phidgets, but not EPIC.

Maybe I should pass it by PM support and they can include it in an update. Should not be a big thing to program that, imo.

In the meantime, I will have to stick to my solution of syncing manually.

Regards,
Hans

oal331
08-11-2010, 02:43 AM
You can write your own default state of switches when PmSystems starts and so you will always have a "default" startup.
A default startup is always a safe way to begin a new flight !!

Regards

Eddie

Sean Nixon
08-11-2010, 05:21 AM
Hi Eddie

Could you briefly explain how to do that.

Thanks.
Sean

Hans Krohn
08-11-2010, 02:49 PM
Hi Eddie,

I am using the cold & dark cockpit option in pmSystems - that also gives me a default state each time I start up -and no need to program anything.

In the meantime I have polished up my EPIC sync-all routine and it works just beautifully. It even gives me visual feedback on the progress of the sync (for that I use the OM, MM and IM LEDs. They light up one after the other and go off once the sync finished).

If there is anyone interested in my EPIC code, just let me know and I'll upload it.

Best regards,
Hans

oal331
08-15-2010, 03:54 AM
Could you briefly explain how to do that.
Thanks.
Sean

Sorry but I am away from base, just having a mobile Internet. But you can search in 737 pm files provided with pmsystems for a section named Init
There you can specifiy the initial state of overhead's switches.

Hans thanks for sharing your Epic config, but I use Phidgets for ovh leds and Opencockpit for switches.

Regards from sunny and hot Greece

Eddie

mmakela
10-31-2010, 03:16 AM
Hello Hans, I use opencockpits and Airbus so I cannot help You with this issue.
But I would like to ask why on earth do You start with Cold&dark. This is highly
unrealistic. Even smallest airports have ground power, at least jetliner capable ones. When pilots arrive the other pilot will perform a walk around and the other
will perform preliminary cockpit preparation, like checking switch positions, airbus pilots have a special program to load weights etc.
checking weather,flight data etc. But not powering aircraft, because normally they are always powered when on duty. Do You have a laptop in Your cockpit. I strongly advice You to have one with Navigraph program with all necessary maps. You should also have those as paper.

oal331
10-31-2010, 03:59 AM
Cold & Dark does not mean that there is no Ground Power available.
With Cold & Dark maybe there is a ground power available, maybe not. Ground power depends on airport's facilities and company's situations (like how many hours/days the aircraft will remain on ground, how much money airport ask to provide ground power etc.)

BUT.....
all the aircrafts are normally on Cold & Dark situation, when a new crew arrives and do all the preflight check. When the same crew have a second or third leg to fly, of course they don't live the aircraft cold & dark, but continue from previous flight situation.

Regards from sunny Athens,
celebrating today 2500 years from the 1st Marathon and the battle of Marathon
(http://http://www.athensclassicmarathon.gr/marathon/fmain.aspx/marathon/fmain.aspx)

mmakela
10-31-2010, 03:57 PM
Well, this is quite new to me:-) My point was not if ground power is available or not. Usually ground power is plugged when aircraft is at gate and usually when parked. Very seldom AC has a "small power" on, and that mean bare cockpit lights are on, but systems are down. Referring to real life Finnair pilot aircraft is cold&dark 0-2 times/month when pilots arrive in cockpit.
I wonder if there are major differences with 737 and Airbus of major airline company or low-cost airline company. I read an article years ago that was written by U.S pilot and he stated that sim pilots want to start with cold&dark but this is quite unexpeced in real life. This can happen in some airports with days first flight.
In this case flight engineer will startup the ac and quite far prepare ac ready for pilots.

Hans Krohn
11-01-2010, 12:54 PM
Hi guys,

what's all this fuss about starting cold and dark (or not)...?

I for my part did not put all that work into my OHP if I did not plan to use them! Starting up my cockpit is part of the fun. And it does not take that long in the end.

I love to see how all the annunciators come on with power-up and how they go out one after the other as I flick the appropriate switches :-)

Best regards,
Hans

PS: anyways - I will ask the pilots on my next flight how cold or dark their cockpit really is when they enter it...

mmakela
11-01-2010, 01:12 PM
Hi hans, fo not bother Yourself with this C&D issue:-)
Just start as You feel like. But, consider this laptop in
Your cockpit. No hassle with papers and maybe You find
a nice maintenance program that suits Your needs. I use
FliteStar.

Hans Krohn
11-01-2010, 04:33 PM
Hi m,

I have Navigraph, so I'll give this a thought. Maybe a tablet PC with a touch screen? I really have no space in my pit for a full sized notebook...

Best, Hans

Thunder175
04-04-2011, 07:50 PM
Not to dig this thread back up but was there any solution to this thread?

I'm using pmSystems with InterfaceIT from FDS and am wondering the same thing.