PDA

View Full Version : Power for OC products in USA

JamesVic
08-02-2010, 10:38 AM
Hello all,

Just wondering what other folks in USA use to convert our silly 110 to 220 for using OC products or any other overseas products? I have a Radio Shack converter which should work fine but thinking there may be a better solution considering I may end up with more products requiring 220. Does a 'butler bar' converter exist?

Or is it possible just to buy a new 110 plug that produces 7.5 volts / 3.0 amps and bypass the 220 OC plug altogether?

Thanks in advance

fordgt40
08-02-2010, 11:03 AM
James

You should not have a problem with OC products as they do not require an AC mains power supply.

David

JamesVic
08-02-2010, 02:24 PM
Thanks David,

I have not played with it yet, but i just got a FMC which came with a power plug (220). I assume it's for the monitor piece.

James

fordgt40
08-02-2010, 02:45 PM
James

Ok I understand. Yes, you will need to change it for a US power plug that has the same dc output. I have similar problems in reverse when I purchase network switches etc in the US. :)

David

JamesVic
08-02-2010, 03:04 PM
Yeah, it's us 'yanks' that are out of sync with our silly 110 power. Oh lets not forget the metric system pretty confuses the **** out of us;) Anyway, I was thinking I may get other OC products down the road a bit as their quality seems really high. Do you happen to know if the FMC is the only OC product that actually requires power? I'm interested in their auto-pilot and radios for the future.

fordgt40
08-02-2010, 03:45 PM
James

Some other modules will require a separate power supply, other than a USB feed, an example being the MCP. Also, it is more likely that backlit modules will need a separate power supply - their website will tell you. The simplest way of poweing them is to use an old PC supply. I think I would rather have proper units than metric :)

David