PDA

View Full Version : Glass Cockpit Software

davemckee
08-01-2010, 11:03 AM
OK fellas.....I currently have FSxpand, but it is too unreliable (quits in middle of flight) about 20% of the time, if I go up to the FX menu to open GPS, or change views too fast. I am seeking an alternative that is MORE stable, but NOT price prohibitive. I am running on my main computer windows 7, my Capt and FO computers (2 seperate computers) Windows Vista, and for my center panel and CDU screen Windows XP. My main computer has an I7 processor with 12 gb of ram, my video card is a Ge-Force GTX-250 with 1 Gig of ram. What is an alternative to FSxpand that will NOT put me in the poorhouse. I have a limited income (retired) so I want to spend my money wisely. Thanks for the input. Dave

drum4no1
08-01-2010, 11:24 AM
Thats a shame on the FSXPAND, im considering it for my EICAS and Standby instruments. I havent too many issues in trial mode.

My software right now is a mixture. My PFD is Ellie Systems http://www.ellieavionics.com/store/default.aspx. My ND and EICAS are currently beta versions of Aerosofts software coming out soon http://www.aerosoft.com.au/home/index.html. The Aerosoft is the only one that contains any system logic and I personally believe it to be very promising.

I find the price points fit my needs just fine. As of right now I dont want to spend the $$ associated with PM or Sim Avionics..

Scott

castle
08-01-2010, 11:38 AM
OK fellas.....I currently have FSxpand, but it is too unreliable (quits in middle of flight) about 20% of the time, if I go up to the FX menu to open GPS, or change views too fast. I am seeking an alternative that is MORE stable, but NOT price prohibitive. I am running on my main computer windows 7, my Capt and FO computers (2 seperate computers) Windows Vista, and for my center panel and CDU screen Windows XP. My main computer has an I7 processor with 12 gb of ram, my video card is a Ge-Force GTX-250 with 1 Gig of ram. What is an alternative to FSxpand that will NOT put me in the poorhouse. I have a limited income (retired) so I want to spend my money wisely. Thanks for the input. Dave

Hi Dave,

Have you considered free open source software? I've don't used MS based products and run full scale 737/747 cockpits with FlightGear, OSG, and OpenGC packages under Linux. The entire sim runs on a SINGLE dual core computer so I avoid all the hassles with networking and connecting multiple machines and the frame rate is over 100fps -- more than fast enough

BTW, also located in California. If you're reasonably close (or not) more than welcome to come by and view my setup.

John

Nick1150
08-01-2010, 02:54 PM
That's an interesting thread ;)

I too had issues with the demo setup of the FSXpand. Fortunately I didn't buy it first. Eventhough I have already invested thousand of euros to my project, I find PM too expensive and I will not invest till NGX comes out. After NGX release I will decide. I am looking too for alternatives, so I am all ears :)

castle
08-01-2010, 03:34 PM
Well, if you're interested and "all ears", go to "www.lfstech.com". Primary users are professional organizations that purchase licenses for libraries and source code.

You may contact me via PM for more details if you wish.

There is a free demo/starter package. Downside is you have to wean yourself away from the MS gorilla and willing to learn Linux ( which is not all that hard for the average competent user ;-) ).

John

BishBash
08-01-2010, 05:13 PM
I run fsxpand on a second pc for my standby and eicas, i never used the demo just straight in and bought it, I have never experienced any freezes,or crashes at all.
I do remember having probs when i first bought fsxpand but this was resolved by updating gpu drivers, its an old pc running xp which hadnt been used for a year or so.
How about;-
http://www.flightdecksoftware.com/content/home
regards
steve

davemckee
08-01-2010, 06:11 PM
I run fsxpand on a second pc for my standby and eicas, i never used the demo just straight in and bought it, I have never experienced any freezes,or crashes at all.
I do remember having probs when i first bought fsxpand but this was resolved by updating gpu drivers, its an old pc running xp which hadnt been used for a year or so.
How about;-
http://www.flightdecksoftware.com/content/home
regards
steve

Stev: I never had problems with the demo, but purchased the 5.7 FSxpand. Ran well for awhile then latelymit does have this problem. Today I had a successful flight with NO problems but I try to keep my flights to around 1hr 15 mins. If I go longer and I loose the flight by FSX restarting then I'm really pissed. I haven't installed any new software for the sim so I'm confused as to why it's acting up. Dave

davemckee
08-01-2010, 06:13 PM
Where in California do you live? Dave

metamarty
08-01-2010, 07:32 PM
Maybe I can be of assistance here. My suite is almost ready to go public. We're looking at a public beta in a couple of weeks. I can handout fully functional beta's to anyone who wants it. It's a full 737-800 suite. The main system will be free, addon module's will be 100 euro per piece. This will make the total package about 300 euro's with lifetime updates. Will support all available hardware and includes a complete autopilot with accurate flight director/CDU's/FMS with full Arcin424 LNAV/Display's/Sounds/Instructor station.

castle
08-01-2010, 07:46 PM
Where in California do you live? Dave

Southern part, Whittier specifically..

Jordan Farmer
08-01-2010, 07:51 PM
hmm, well, im on the lookout for a good glass cockpit suite, but im on an extremely tight budget. Ellie looks very good, its a bit of a shame FreeFD has dropped off the radar, it wouldve been perfect! And to the last oster, i would be interested in helping out with your Beta testing, just PM me or somthing!

jordan

davemckee
08-01-2010, 10:26 PM
Your suite and price sounds just like what I'm looking for. How do I get started. Dave

fsaviator
08-02-2010, 01:53 AM
Count me in. I'm almost at the stage of needing it.

Warren

Nick1150
08-02-2010, 02:15 AM
Me too, I will give it a try :cool:

What about compatibility with PMDG and CDU hardware ?

metamarty
08-02-2010, 06:45 AM
The public beta will start when the new website is live. It will contain a forum to discuss the state of things. I can hand out previews, but we have no forum to discuss problems at the moment, so it's a bit awkward :)

There is no compatibility with PMDG, since the suite contains all the systems and simulates everything by itself. PMDG is closed, so I can't access anything in it. Ofcourse, you can run a stripped PMDG aircraft for the flightmodel.

Hardware support as of now:
- CPFlight MCP/EFIS/MIP/Radio's
- Opencockpits cards and MCP/EFIS/CDU
- Engravity CDU
- Flight Illusion gauges
- Cockpit sonic throttle via their new EHID driver
- Phidgets cards
- Bodnar cards and other joystick cards
- FSUIPC input/output for arbitrary hardware

Anyone who wants a preview can contact me by PM or at marty.bochane@prosim737.com with their email address. I can send the beta package via mail at the moment. It is functional, but I'm still tuning and working on VNAV.

BishBash
08-02-2010, 07:25 AM
Stev: I never had problems with the demo, but purchased the 5.7 FSxpand. Ran well for awhile then latelymit does have this problem. Today I had a successful flight with NO problems but I try to keep my flights to around 1hr 15 mins. If I go longer and I loose the flight by FSX restarting then I'm really pissed. I haven't installed any new software for the sim so I'm confused as to why it's acting up. Dave

Dave,
If fsx is restarting would that not be fsx prob? Any error messages?

Also fsxpand current version is 5.8.2 which had lots of fixes in for fsx i beleive, i still use fs9.

@metamarty, email sent, im currently looking at different glass cockpits,logic to move away from pmdg and over to fsx.

Regards

Steve

davemckee
08-03-2010, 11:59 AM
Steve: i am using the 5.7 FSxpand, and FSX. I have given serious consideration to going backwards and using FS9. The only reason I thought it was FSxpand is that when it freezes FSxpand is missing from the tray, where all other programs remain(phidgets,pm sounds, FI gauges,etc.). Thanks Dave

BishBash
08-03-2010, 12:42 PM
Steve: i am using the 5.7 FSxpand, and FSX. Thanks Dave

They now how fsxpand and fsclient 5.8.3 version,
maybe updating will help your problem.
regards
steve

capetonian
08-03-2010, 03:23 PM
Maybe I can be of assistance here. My suite is almost ready to go public. We're looking at a public beta in a couple of weeks. I can handout fully functional beta's to anyone who wants it. It's a full 737-800 suite. The main system will be free, addon module's will be 100 euro per piece. This will make the total package about 300 euro's with lifetime updates. Will support all available hardware and includes a complete autopilot with accurate flight director/CDU's/FMS with full Arcin424 LNAV/Display's/Sounds/Instructor station.

I have just finished setting up the most recent build of Marty's software on my system. I will take a few pics later and post them.

davemckee
08-03-2010, 04:08 PM
Great, looking forward to seeing them. Dave

davemckee
08-03-2010, 04:10 PM
Thanks Steve, but I don't want tospend any more money on FSxpand with a possibility of it NOT working properly. Dave

ANDYSMITH
08-03-2010, 07:11 PM
I also have been testing Marty's software package, I can't say enough good. I will not try to compare with PM, or any other software. It is like Boeing's software.

Andy

BishBash
08-04-2010, 04:49 AM
Thanks Steve, but I don't want tospend any more money on FSxpand with a possibility of it NOT working properly. Dave

I totally understand Dave,
Strange,there is a few free patches in between but 5.7 and 5.8, I suppose you have mentioned your probs to gert on the forums.I would have thought he would try to help you out..
I only use it for standby and eicas and no probs ever,starts and connects first time, perfect.
Something wrong with yours dave which must be able to be resolved.

Regards

steve

epaton
09-14-2010, 01:28 AM
Hi Dave from California. I am also from California. My company, Fly This Sim, produces glass cockpit software for flight simulators. We specialize in General Aviation aircraft for X-Plane. We just released the Garmin G1000 simulator, and also have the Avidyne for Cirrus and Piper. The software is very stable, and can be run on a separate computer if you like. We just produced this nice little video of the G1000 Cessna Caravan in a Precision Flight Controls simulator. The cost should be in your price range for a home user. Your hardware is more than adequate. Good luck.
http://www.flythissim.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHnIkKNx50k

seriah
09-18-2010, 03:45 AM
thanks for this information:-)

epaton
09-18-2010, 12:04 PM
Sure! Are most of the people on this forum Flight Sim users? How about X-Plane? Would the people on this site be more encouraged to buy the Garmin G1000 simulator if there was a version that works with FSX (and previous versions)?

Jordan Farmer
09-18-2010, 12:20 PM
wELL, MANY OF THE USERS HERE DO USE msfs, BOTH x AND 9, I PERSONALLY USE fs9, AS ITS PRETTY STABLE AND STILL HAS MANY ADDONS AND LOTS OF SUPPORT, if the G1000 software was available, and had a demo, i would be interested. First of all, does it have all of the systems modeled in comparison to the real G1000? And is it easily interfaced with hardware like OC cards and Leo Bodnars BU0836X?

Cheers,

Jordan

epaton
09-18-2010, 03:58 PM
I am not sure how Leo Bodnars hardware operates, however if it can be used like a keyboard, then there is no problem currently with our X-Plane plugin.

zolly
09-26-2010, 01:37 AM
Hello,
All of you gave very nice information about glass cockpit software. i have pc with not so high configuration so please tell me that what kind of glass cockpit software i have to use for that.

thanks!!

capetonian
09-26-2010, 03:02 AM
Prosim runs fine on a low end pc! I have it running on several older machines and they work fine.

JWS
09-26-2010, 06:57 AM
Hello,
All of you gave very nice information about glass cockpit software. i have pc with not so high configuration so please tell me that what kind of glass cockpit software i have to use for that.

thanks!!

As long as you have an OS that supports Dot Net 3.5 you're in business.

JWS

jackwall
10-12-2010, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the information epaton ... this is very encouraging.

To answer your question [at least my opinion], MSFSX/FS9 solution would be very positive for the FS community. MS FS platforms are still very common and have an established install base which is likely to remain in place going forward.

I'd be very interested in understanding about the possibility of mapping controls [via FSUPIC for example] to accomodate those of us who are building our own solutions. i.e. mapping the buttons/rotaries on my diy bezel to execute the function.

Also, is it possible to configure the view to remove the software GUI buttons and rotaries?

As the moment the web site only shows XPLane support. Can you comment on FSXFS9 support going forward.

Many thanks.

jack

davemckee
10-12-2010, 11:03 AM
I recently found a software package that is stable, no stuttering or hesitation, and it runs circles around the FSxpand program. To just upgrade my FSxpand version they wanted 40 euro....and this new software is 60 aus which is about 46 us dollars. Aerosoftau is the developer and they sent me a demo. The finalized version will be up for sale in a few weeks. I think someone on a fixed budget would do well to check out this software. http://www.aerosoft.com.au/setup-aeroSystems-BETA9.exe

Dave

lipq2009
10-12-2010, 01:08 PM
This glass cockpit software can be used only with Xplane or it is compatible with MFS too?
Tnks
Andrew

Nick1150
10-19-2010, 01:27 PM
Prosim runs fine on a low end pc! I have it running on several older machines and they work fine. Is it compatible with PMDG 737-800 and Fly Engravity CDU ?

JWS
10-19-2010, 01:45 PM
The system is being developed with PMDG 737 in mind and supports Engravity CDU

See: http://marty.selfip.com/

JWS

Nick1150
10-19-2010, 04:05 PM
The system is being developed with PMDG 737 in mind and supports Engravity CDU

See: http://marty.selfip.com/

JWSThanks JWS !!!

I just read the manual. It seems that there is alot of information in this pdf file, too much I would say, but to be honest, I found difficult to understand and therefore I am not able to go on with the trial :roll:

Is there any tutorial anywhere for the unexperienced like me ?

Thanks

JWS
10-20-2010, 02:01 PM
Nick,

When it comes to computers and stuff, my middle name is "inexperienced" (or as Jimi Hendrix once sang: are you experienced, have you ever been experienced?)

What is exactly the point where you loose contact? I figured it out eventually (with a little help from Marty Bochane, the developer) which means that it is not near idiot proof yet, but it is getting there.

Let me know, maybe I can guide you. Or Marty can.

JWS

Nick1150
10-20-2010, 03:26 PM
Nick,

When it comes to computers and stuff, my middle name is "inexperienced" (or as Jimi Hendrix once sang: are you experienced, have you ever been experienced?)

What is exactly the point where you loose contact? I figured it out eventually (with a little help from Marty Bochane, the developer) which means that it is not near idiot proof yet, but it is getting there.

Let me know, maybe I can guide you. Or Marty can.

JWSHi JWS,

Thanks for the courage my friend.

In fact I lost communication after the first pages. I think that because there are different options depending on the hardware used, I lost contact with the things I have to do, since at a point I didn't know if the installation was about my hardwrae or not. Anyway I wouldn't like to take advantage of this thread. I will pm for more info.

Thanks again,

capetonian
10-20-2010, 03:44 PM
Nick,

If you want to, add me on skype (dakleton) and I'll talk you through it this weekend, MSn is also an option,

Cheers,

Andrew

Nick1150
10-21-2010, 12:54 AM
Nick,

If you want to, add me on skype (dakleton) and I'll talk you through it this weekend, MSn is also an option,

Cheers,

AndrewHi Capetonian,

Thanks for your help !!!

I will contact you during this weekend.

Thanks