PDA

View Full Version : FS2Phidget Starting Minimised

Holclo
08-01-2010, 10:18 AM
FS2Phidget Starting Minimised.
Now that I have got my Landing Gear LED’s and others working I have run into another little problem. For neatness sake I chose “Start Minimised” from the FS2Phidget Options menu. So after I start FS9, and then FS2Phidget, all works perfectly well. My problem arises when shutting down.
FS9 closes but FS2Phidget remains minimised on the task bar and I cannot get the programme to stop running other than going to “Task Manager” and stopping it running from there.
I have tried clicking on the shortcut but the window flashes momentarily and then minimises again.
I also tried running FS2Phidget though Jose Oliveira’s “Run Options” programme but still couldn’t get FS2Phidget to shut down automatically. Any ideas how I can solve this?
Bill

CocnutAir
08-02-2010, 01:56 AM
Bill,
When I tried running 5.0.20 I could not get it start in minimized state. The Minimized setting is never saved. Is a bug. Therefore, how were you able to get program to go into a minimized state automatically at start-up?
Regards,
Alan

CocnutAir
08-04-2010, 01:13 AM
Bill,

FS2Phidget5 remembers the location and size of its window. However, the program should not store those values when it closes from a minimized state. That is a bug. A workaround for now is to right-click the minimized icon and select Close from the menu, or press Alt-F4 after right-clicking.
The Minimized option on the menu bar Settings is not being saved. Another bug.
I will correct and send you an updated version to test.

Regards,
Alan

Holclo
08-04-2010, 03:08 AM
Many thanks Alan.
Bill

KenK
08-14-2010, 06:00 PM
Hi to all:

I have a similiar problem to Bill. I need to use the Task Manager to turn off Phidgets V20 after Fs9 quits.

I start FS9 with a batch file which starts Phidgets prog 20 sec later. This makes sure Fs9 is going before Phidgets starts.

Otherwise Phidgets v20 works great for me. !!!!!
Sounds like you have fixed this.
Looking forward to next version

System is Win XP media edition. P4-3.4 ghz . 2g Ram Phidgets V20

Regards
Ken K

CocnutAir
08-15-2010, 02:03 PM
Ken,

Stopped supporting V2 ages ago. Over 5 years ago. That problem was fixed in a subsequent V2 release,
Problem resurfaced in V5.
I am curious why you waited so long to report this?
I don't minimize when I run. This bug surfaced in V5 when I added ability for fs2phidgets to remember the window size and position when it exits, so I don't have to res-size next time I fire it up. I often re-size fs2phidgets so that I view fs9 at the sam time. I run the two side-by-side on the screen. I did not test the minimized function in V5 as well as I should have.
I am only supporting latest V4 and V5.

Regards,
Alan

KenK
08-15-2010, 06:00 PM
Hi Alan:

I'm sorry I meant to say Phidgets 5.0.20

Works great though except for shutting it down.
Regards Ken K

CocnutAir
08-15-2010, 06:41 PM
Ken,
ah, that makes more sense. Had me baffled for a sec.
While 5.0.21 is being approved, here is a work-around.
Right-click on the minimized fs2phidget icon and select Maximize.
When fs2phidget maximizes, uncheck the Run Minimized option on the menu, if you have it checked.
Close fs2phidget in its maximized state.
Regards,
Alan

spitfire9
09-07-2010, 11:36 AM
Had the same problem with 5.0.18 and 5.0.21.
works now and I don't know what fixed it .

I am also trying to start everything with a batch file . Fs2phidgets opens but it seems like it won't connect to fs9,, until I shut it down and start it up again,, then it connects.
Any idea what I'm doing wrong??

Thanks

spitfire9
09-07-2010, 11:51 AM
Just a thought,, maybe because I'm using a usb extension??
Would a powered hub work better ??

KenK
09-07-2010, 01:06 PM
Hi Spitfire:

The batch file I use to start my Sim is called Batchrun . It is available free and allows you to set up different batch files
and time delays between programs.

The way mine runs is:

1. start FS9
2. wait 30 secs
3. start Phidgets

The delay insures FS9 is up and running completly

This works for me but I need to use task mgr to shut off Phidgets .
I am now using latest Phidgets 5.0.21

Regards Ken K

CocnutAir
09-08-2010, 12:11 AM
sfire,
When you say "batch file", I take it you mean the old DOS .BAT?
There is a possibility that the batch file launches fs9 and then immediately launches 5.0.21.
fs9 might still be firing up when 5.0.21 looks for it, and doesn't see it, as per Ken's reply above.

Ken,
You are using 5.0.21? Does program not close when you click 'X' in top-right of the window?

Regards,
Alan

spitfire9
09-08-2010, 01:11 AM
Yes ,,it is a dos .bat file I am using.

But I do have a 35 sec. delay before Fsphidget starts. I have also tried to open fsphidgets without the bat file well after Fs9 starts. It seems like just about all the time, fsphidgets starts but only about half the lights on the Led64 card are lit and the ciruits aren't working with the sim. After I shut down Fsphidgets and start it up again ,,it works properly.
Thats why i was thinking it may be due to the long usb extension I have hooked up to the card.
Also I have every light on a different circuit,, ie left gear on one circuit, right gear on another circuit etc. Could this be a problem ? Should I have all or some of the annunciator lights on one cicuit??

Thanks very much for your help !

KenK
09-08-2010, 09:31 PM
Hi Alan:

I have updated to 5.0.21 and all works fine except for shutting it down. This is not really a problem for me since I'm done flying anyway. I just use the task mgr. System is Win XP ,2G RAM, P4-3.4ghz, Ati-X800-XL
I have not delved into it too deeply yet.

This is what happens :

Scenario 1:

Start Phidgets
Set Phidgets to "start maximized"
Save Phidgets
Start batch prog
Fs9 starts
30 sec delay
Phidgets starts
LED-64 Lights all Whistles and bells correctly
Done flying
Exit FS9
All closes except Phidgets icon is still running in taskbar
Right click Phidgets icon
Select maximize---no response
Phidgets remains un-responsive
use task mgr to kill it.

Scenario 2:
Same except set Phidgets to "Start minimized"
save Phidgets
Run batch program
Exit FS9
All closes except Phidgets icon is still running in taskbar
Right click Phidgets icon
Select maximize---no response
After 5-6 attempts Phidgets finally maximizes then X will close it
Phidgets seems to be busy with something else and ignores attempt to close.

Spitfire: I use 2 usb extender cables to connect my LED-64 to usb port. Total length from usb port to led-64 is 2 meters.
I dont advocate this but it works fine for me. Maybe my USB ports are extra robust.
You could try turning the lights on individually and possibly uncover something that way.
Also remember all Even numbered leds share 1 plus common. All ODD numbered leds share a second common.

Regards
Ken K

CocnutAir
09-09-2010, 12:54 AM
Ken,

In scenario 1, fs2ph starts maximized.
At which point, in scenario 1, do you minimize fs2ph to get it onto task bar?

You state:
Exit FS9.
<<<<< How is fs2ph exited?
All closes except Phidgets icon (I take it you mean fs2ph).

Regards,
Alan.

CocnutAir
09-09-2010, 01:43 AM
s'fire,
A circuit for each light is fine. Doesn't make any difference.

Ronson2k9
09-09-2010, 03:21 AM
If you are using a shortcut to start the program or if your other software is pointing to the exe file but can be redirected to the shortcut? You might be able to start phidgets minimized from the shortcut properties.

Right click on the programs shortcut.
Select Properties

- If you are using Win7 you have a bunch of tabs at the top

Select Shortcut.
- Where it says 'Run [Normal Window]' you can select (from drop down menu) 'Minimized'
Click Apply or OK to save that setting.

NOTE: Afterwards if you want to get into the normal window again you will need to reset the shortcut back to 'Normal Window' or if you want to be clever about it you can have a second shortcut to phidgets call it 'Phidgets Normal View' and save that to your desktop as well then if you need to get to it fast no need to reset the other one.

This will only work from the shortcut however. So you will need to start it from there or direct your other software that runs it to start from there.

Hope that helps.
Ron

KenK
09-09-2010, 02:18 PM
Alan:

In scenario 1
Batchrun starts
FS9 starts up and runs minimized in the task bar.
After 30 seconds Ph2 opens up maximized.
I then must minimize PH2 to show the task bar and access FS9
I then open fs9 and fly
When finished flying I click on FLIGHTS then click EXIT
FS9 closes ----the the only thing left in task bar is PH2
When I right click on ph2 and select maximize nothing happens.

Other things you should know:
1. I am very suspicious of how the "Batchrun" program runs. Because after Fs9 is fully running and PH2 is fully running
the progress bar in Batchrun shows 38% . Looks like it stops right after PH2 loads. I know PH2 is running correctly because all the led64 leds function correctly with FS9 ( eg landing gear,overspeed .etc)

2. This is probably not related at all but I use a Matrox dual head on 1 video output to run the instrument panel. and the other video output goes to an overhead projector.

3. Fs9 starts minimized because of all the saves etc etc you need to do to get FS9 to start up in dual maximized windows.

I am not sure this is really a Phidgets problem.

I will keep you posted when I have time to look deeper.

Regards Ken K

CocnutAir
09-10-2010, 01:02 AM
If you run fs2ph on its own (no Batchrun), I am it guessing it starts maximized.
If you minimize window by pressing "_" on the top-right of the window I am guessing (again) it will minimize.
Does window maximize if you right click and select maximize?

Point 2 won't be a factor ,and same with point 3.

Holclo
09-10-2010, 04:18 AM
Hi Guys
Ken - here is how I do it now. When I finish flying, I minimise FS9, then I maximise FS2PH (from the task bar), then close FS2PH with the "X" in top right corner, then full size FS9 and exit that. Of course if I "forget" my order I just use Alt F4 to close FS2PH. Either way it doesn't bother me .
Hi Alan - hope you are well.
Bill

KenK
09-10-2010, 01:29 PM
Hi guys:

Thanks for responding. i will try both things when I get back home tomorrow.

Regards Ken K

KenK
09-13-2010, 01:52 PM
Hello All:
I played with this a little last nite.

Alan: Ph2 MAXs/MINs with no problem when I start it with batchrun or manually. I can send it to the taskbar and open it again with no problems. Starting it minimized or maximized is never a problem. Sending it to the taskbar by clicking minus does not prevent it from re-opening by right clicking taskbar icon then selecting maximize. I cannot duplicate the shutdown problem at all unless I run FS9

The real trouble begins when you start PH2 maximized then send it to the task bar while FS9 is running.
After that it will not close normally.

I tried the "Holclo Procedure" (Thanks Bill !) But could not get it to work.
Also looked at the "Ronson Procedure" (Thanks Ronson) but I have Win XP so no tabs.

If I run Ph2 in its own window then shut down FS9 I have no problem closing Ph2 with "X" box

I prefer to Minimize PH2 to the task bar to keep as few windows open as possible when running FS9.
Right now I just use ALT-F4 and this it works great for me.

THANKS TO ALL for the suggestions.
Ken K

CocnutAir
09-14-2010, 03:10 AM
Ken,

Thanks for the succint summary. I also minimize fs2ph when I run on my development system because I have fs9 and fs2ph running on same machine. I tried a realtime flight from SFO to LAX. Worked ok for me.
One difference. Although I had fs2ph minimized I did not have any phidgets plugged in. I am on the road at the moment and do not carry phidgets in my luggage to avoid bag searches at the airport.
I also dread running into my buddy Jack on the plane. I might forget where I am and yell out "Hi, Jack".
Regards,
Alan