PDA

View Full Version : Cirrus Side Stick - CH Yoke mod

mattevans
07-16-2010, 11:44 AM
Well I finally got up the courage to take a hacksaw to my CH Yoke. A few hours work, couple of $ in parts (m4x40 bolt and a 90 degree 3/4" PVC pipe elbow) and a bit of soldering and I now have a functioning left side

Basically what was the left handle of the yoke is now the Cirrus style side stick, slanted to around 45 degrees. I lost functionality of 1 button due to probably a faulty solder or maybe the wire got cut where I can't see it, but the two red buttons and the toggle style switch all work.

Just have to spray paint the PVC elbow black and I think it will look pretty decent.

Pics to follow

WarpeD
07-17-2010, 01:12 AM
Very clever, Matt. You can always tell a true cockpit builder when he's willing to tear into a retail accessory and modify it to suit the needs of his cockpit. :)

mattevans
07-17-2010, 01:18 AM
Very clever, Matt. You can always tell a true cockpit builder when he's willing to tear into a retail accessory and modify it to suit the needs of his cockpit. :)

Hey Steve, thanks. It's been a while, hope all is well. I've been focussed on sim racing for a while (which caused me to build a decent cockpit) but decided to get back into x-plane and take a break from the fake cars. fake planes instead!

I painted it so will put up pics tonight. V poor spraypaint job but oh well, it will be fine. At least its not white pvc any more.

Hope things are still going well for you with the avionics stuff. I'm still hanging out for a decent glass cockpit for x-plane but Austin's hints about the ipad hold some hope...

WarpeD
07-17-2010, 01:00 PM
It has, hasn't it? It's been an interesting year since trying to gripe enough to get Austin to release a hobbyist priced variant of EFIS-App! Let's just say that the relationships that came of that thread over on X-Plane.org bore enough fruit to cause me to invest a bill on Turbo Tax this year for the first time! ;) Needless to say my own simpit benefited a lot too. As soon as I finish up the physical stuff in the next few weeks, I'll be back into the glass instrumentation and try to finish that up too. The IPad solution for MFD's does sound extremely promising, although it would be almost as pricey of a solution as EFIS-App, no? They don't give those little toys away....although I'd like to have one to play with as a kneeboard in my cockpit. Very Star Trek!! :D