PDA

View Full Version : DC Motors for 737 TQ

Joe Lavery
07-11-2010, 11:22 AM
Hi all,

I'm in the process of designing a new TQ, basically to have it motorised. Never having gone this route I don't know what motor size or revolution I should get. Should it be 12 volt, 30RPM 15RPM or less, these low revs are running through a gearbox?

I intend to use the Open Cockpits 6 DC motor card which hopefully will drive the motors.
Any advice, help or instruction would be very much apprecited. I don't have any knowledge of SIOC so do you think I might be biting off more than I can chew? http://www.cockpitbuilders.com/community/Smileys/default/undecided.gif

Cheers
Joe.

Boeing 747 Flyer
07-11-2010, 11:51 AM
Hiya Joe,

Regarding the SIOC front...

I was a complete amateur of SIOC before I tried making my own ASI gauge with the USBServos Card. It took a week, alot of trial and error and input from the MyCockpit users, but I eventually achieved it. It is difficult but it can be done.

fordgt40
07-11-2010, 03:10 PM
Joe

If you have not already found this, then I suggest you read this thread on Cockpit Builders

http://www.cockpitbuilders.com/community/index.php?topic=780.msg6207#msg6207

With regard to SIOC, yes it is challenging and for your proposed use will require a lot of study to understand the basics. I suggest that you carefully study Nico`s site

http://www.lekseecon.nl/opencockpits.html.

Currently, there are very few SIOC code examples out there, so a lot of coding work will be required. At some time in the near future, I will be going along a similar route and willl gladly share my experiences

Regards

David

Joe Lavery
07-11-2010, 04:38 PM
Thanks guys,

I had a look at the links you recommended David, I think that this is going to be a long haul ;) . But when I started on this adventure, I didn't have a clue about the 737 either, so I look at it as another challenge. Having said that if it wasn't for the likes of Ian Sissons and many others here I would be way back down the road...

I think I'll get a couple of motors and have a play before I get too bogged down, they are not that expensive and I'm sure the Open Cockpits card will come in handy for some project or other; in case it doesn't get off the ground... excuse the pun :)

I'll keep in touch David, regards,

Joe.

fordgt40
07-11-2010, 06:05 PM
Joe

Clearly, you have your head screwed on well :), nothing ventured nothing gained, but take it one stage at a time. Ian Sissons also started me on this quest from a similar knowledge level. He has a lot to answer for :)

Experiment away, and if having really tried with SIOC, you still find it difficult, then PM me.
I will post my progress on motorising my Poldragonet throttle in due course

Regards

David

Joe Lavery
07-11-2010, 07:51 PM
Thanks David, I'll keep you posted.

Incidentally I travelled to Oswestry to see "the man" last weekend, had a great time, very hospitable (and knowledgeable).
It was playing with his TQ that spurred me on to get off my backside and make a motorised one. The one I originally made for the articles in PCP is OK but once you've tasted the best you just gotta have it.

Regards
Joe.

ian@737ng.co.uk
07-12-2010, 07:45 AM
oh! i get it, it's obviously all my fault that there are so many of us on this never ending quest :o
and for those of you who dont know him, here's Joe Lavery after landing at Edinburgh
rgds ... ian

http://www.737ng.co.uk/joelavery1.jpg

Joe Lavery
07-12-2010, 09:18 AM
Of course it's your bloody fault, if you weren't so damn helpful we'd all be sat there with a Microsoft joystick and a keyboard with lots of post-it's stuck to it. :p :D :wink: ;)

Regards
Joe.

capetonian
07-12-2010, 10:19 AM
Joe, I hope you'll keep us informed of your progress, .. the real-deal like Ian has is still out of my reach, .. so even though I will be drooling over it again at Lelystad I really have to go the homegrown route.

my737sim
08-07-2010, 05:52 AM
Www.revolution-simproducts.com

That's what I did.

Joe Lavery
08-07-2010, 09:21 AM
Do you mean you built it yourself or you bought a ready made one? please expand ;)