PDA

View Full Version : Nvdia GTX480 problem ?

oal331
06-30-2010, 11:05 AM
Hello everyone,

i'm very disappointed with my brand new FSX pc and i'm looking for your help :cry:
I bought last week a new PC and Nvidia's display driver crashes FSX.

In detail:
Twice with PMDG's 747-400 during cockpit preparation on the ground and many others with default 737-800 cruizing i got from Win7 64bit the error :
Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered
but FSX either stopped working or entire the PC, needing restart from power button only.
The details below are from event viewer :

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14
Faulting module name: nvd3dum.dll, version: 8.17.12.5721, time stamp: 0x4c0d6bf7
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00346b3c
Faulting process id: 0xb0c
Faulting application start time: 0x01cb16fdd6ae906d
Faulting application path: D:\Fsx\fsx.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\nvd3dum.dll
Report Id: f9a197b0-82fd-11df-a5b6-005056c00008

I changed drivers from Gigabyte's 197.03 to Nvidia's 197.75 & latest 257.21 with the same problem still there, (maybe with latest drivers the only difference is that the Windows are running ok after FSX crashes).

I load from Bios, Safe settings, i tested default 737, no other add-ons, no weather, no Vatsim, with no luck.
When i am from outside view, cycling view around the airplane or top view zoom in zoom out and loads heavy textures or many data, the FSX crashes.

My system in detail:
Motherboard Gigabyte X58A-UD7
PSU Enermax 1050W
Ram Corsair DDR3 Triple 1600Mhz 7-7-7-20 6gb ram
VGA Gigabyte GTX-480
CPU Intel i7 930 2.8Ghz
Megahalem AirCooler
Coolermaster case with perfect air flow.
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Intel SSD HDD 80GB for Windows
Baracuda 2TB for FSX

Does anyone from you have an idea about the problem, what else i have to try?
Please reply !!!

regards

Eddie Armaos

spiro
06-30-2010, 01:52 PM
gaisou Eddie

i am no expert with pc but i my self had lots of problemes at the start with win64bit
i was told by the tech that build my fsx pc that the latest nvidia drivers had problrms all of them and he told me not to update them so if you can find the preveous driver for your video card maybe you can try that,
as he was telling me that alot of his customers had problems after there updates
not shore if it that is the problem but you can give that a try

kali epitixia(good luck)

oal331
06-30-2010, 01:57 PM
Kalispera Spiro,

thanks for reply. As GTX480 is a new card, i don't know which previous drivers to download for support them. I also don't know if the problem has to do with drivers, or the VGA's hardware, or the Memories, etc as i have read many posts about it and many different opinios, but not a solution!!
Thanks anyway for your support, i have to try an old driver...... and i will reply the results

Eddie

iwik
06-30-2010, 02:14 PM
Hi Eddie,
Cant relly help you, and i know how frustrating it can be when you have just purchased the greatest pc and it all turns to mud.
Try posting a message on tweaktown.com gigabyte section. Ive found the moderator there to be extremely clued up on EX58
motherboard. Everything being new, it maybe some hardware incompatability.
Hope this helps.
Regards
Les

AchillesP
06-30-2010, 02:20 PM
Geia sou Eddie,

Three drivers you can try

Make sure to make use of driver sweeper to clean the previous driver correctly;)

Achilles

oal331
06-30-2010, 04:07 PM
There is an image fro GPU-Z, right after the Windows error message and FSX's crash

http://www.737.gr/img/3.gif

Eddie

nricky
07-01-2010, 07:29 AM
Hi Eddie

You will solve the problem when going to a 32 Bit OS. Why would you want to use a 64 Bit OS, so you can use more memory. That is all. But if you want to run a server than I would use a 64 bit OS. Hope that helps a bid.

Cheers Norbert

oal331
07-01-2010, 12:14 PM
Why would you want to use a 64 Bit OS, so you can use more memory. That is all.

Yes with Win7 64bit i can use all the 6gb of ram i have, but as i know with 32bit not.

Eddie

nricky
07-01-2010, 02:05 PM
But you don't need that much for FSX, that is why I choose to use the 32 Bit system. I have tried to use 64 Bit, but had nothing more than problems with it. Windows 7 is just perfect for Flight Simming. Did you give it a try to use the FS2004 for testing if you have the same problems?

Cheers Norbert

oal331
07-01-2010, 05:20 PM
Maybe i should, but i have to find enough free time to install it, configure it, add sceneries etc......
Things are very complicated :-(

oal331
09-06-2010, 01:49 PM
I updated latest Nvidia's drivers and i don't have these problems anymore.
Now i can see other problems, like SB4 errors :(
Maybe i have to go back to Fsinn

Thanks all for replies and your help

regards

Eddie

Neil Hewitt
09-06-2010, 02:24 PM
Hi Eddie.

The error you're reporting is not an NVidia driver error, it's a standard Windows error which happened to be generated (and thrown out unhandled) within an NVidia code module loaded within the address space of the process running fsx.exe.

The error itself is a memory Access Violation error, thrown by Windows' Data Execution Protection system. This is designed to stop memory blocks designated as containing data being run as executable code (which is / used to be the most common way malware gets in).

A very common cause of this error is faulty RAM. Try taking out 3GB of your RAM and swapping sticks until you've had every combination, testing FSX as you go. If you find one combination that's stable, then the RAM that's currently out is at fault. Get it replaced and you should be OK. If that doesn't solve it, then here's few ideas which might help:

1. Is the 480 overclocked at all? FSX will make it work harder than just Windows by a huge degree. The temp in your screenshot above looks OK (the GPU has a max temp of 105C) but it can cool down from a spike very quickly. Could be overheating, especially if the heatsink isn't seated 100%.

2. Have you checked for BIOS updates for both your motherboard and the 480? You may not have the absolute latest BIOS on either just because they're new - they might have been sitting on the distributor's shelf for a while. I know there's been at least one update for the 480 since launch.

3. In FSX, do you have DX10 Preview Mode turned on? If so, try turning it off and see if that makes a difference. Fiddle with the graphics settings in general and see if it makes any difference. Your card should certainly be able to work with max sliders, but if a particular parameter makes a difference it'll point you in the right general direction.

4. Have you overridden the 3D settings for FSX at the driver level? I hear tell that sometimes if you force anti-aliasing at the driver level but leave it off in FSX, for example, you can get problems.

5. I don't think 64-bit is your problem. NVidia has had a long time to optimise its WDDM drivers for 64-bit. And as you say, if you run 32-bit then Windows will only see 3.5GB of your RAM. But you could acquire a cheap, small hard disk, put 32-bit Windows and FSX on it, and run some tests, just in case.

6. Try installing a few other demanding games (Crysis, Fallout 3 etc) if you have them, and then play them full-on for a while, see if you get crashes with any of these. If it's just FSX causing the crashes then that would suggest there is a generic incompatibility between FSX and the 480, which would very odd but not impossible. If so, I'd be surprised if you're the only one who's seeing it.

Hope any of that helps... let us know how you get on.

Neil Hewitt
09-06-2010, 02:25 PM
Oops - didn't see your last reply. Still, some of the points above might be worth checking out. Fingers crossed for you :-)

oal331
09-06-2010, 04:03 PM
Neilh

many thanks for spend your time to reply and make a such long and in detail reply.

Enjoy every flight :-)

Eddie