PDA

View Full Version : Announcing new product! Yoke mounting mechanism

Westozy
04-26-2010, 08:20 PM
Hi all,
First of all thanks to everyone that has been contacting me via my new website, the interest has really surprised me and I am grateful for the growth in business! The announcement of my column base mechanism lead to questions from quite a few members asking me if I can produce an elbow for the top of the column. I thought this was a good idea for another product so I have completed a design and can now offer the units for sale to our members.

The unit consists of a solid Trovidur PVC circular block machined to house a high quality needle roller bearing for the hollow axle. The hollow axle will allow yoke button wiring to be be fed down the inside of the yoke column along with the potentiometer wires which are supplied. The flange has two rows of threaded holes for mounting a replica or generic yoke handle. The flange also has a pin for limiting rotation to 180 degrees. The potentiometer drive for roll motion is geared at 3:2 so the potentiometer rotates 270 degrees. There is a small pulley on the rear of the unit with a locking device to grip 2 mm wire rope, this is for transmitting roll motion across to the second yoke in a two position simulator. The mechanism will slide into a standard 80mm PVC drain elbow which can also be supplied if required. Pitched at an introductory starting price of AUD$280.00 per unit. Combined with the yoke base mechanism the package represents a low cost solution for building a high quality relica Boeing type yoke control column with pitch and roll potentiometers ready to wire to your interface card.

Cheers,
Gwyn Perrett
www.aerosimsolutions.com.au (http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au)

jsfboat
04-26-2010, 10:22 PM
Is this only for replica yokes, or will it work for authentic ones as well?

Westozy
04-26-2010, 11:46 PM
Is this only for replica yokes, or will it work for authentic ones as well?

Hi, I don't have access to a genuine yoke but I am sure it could be made to adapt. I believe the real thing has a protruding shaft with an internal spline. If I had an accurate drawing of the real yoke I could make an adaptor to suit it. My own simulator has replica fibreglass yokes from Roberto at www.throttletek.com and these would easily adapt to my flange mechanism, this is what I based the design around. Could you please post a picture of the rear of your real yoke handle or email it to me at gwyn737 (at) live.com.au, that would be appreciated and I could design an adaptor for it!

Regards,

Gwyn

Kennair
04-27-2010, 12:00 AM
Great work Gwyn. Your day job is going to become a liability at this rate.

Just a question though. In a two yoke setup you wouldn't need the gearing and pot on the other side, just the axle mechanism. Same with your yoke pivot mech. Will these be available as separate products, or will you just purchase two of each of the above units and not utilize the pots on one side?

Ken.

Hi Ken,
Correct! The 'co pilot's' side of both products do not need the additional pot so I would probably leave it out and I would reduce the cost accordingly.
I also completed your TQ baseplate and attached it to the lever mechanism, it's ready to have the box built on it now!

Cheers Gwyn

Kennair
04-27-2010, 08:39 AM
Fantastic Gwyn,

Can I see the handiwork tomorrow?

Ken.

capetonian
04-27-2010, 02:55 PM
Excellent work good fellow, ... I'll be ordering a set of these, ... could you please find out about postage to Europe for me.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Westozy
04-28-2010, 12:27 AM
Fantastic Gwyn,

Can I see the handiwork tomorrow?

Ken.

I'll bring it along....Gwyn

Westozy
04-28-2010, 12:27 AM
Excellent work good fellow, ... I'll be ordering a set of these, ... could you please find out about postage to Europe for me.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Will do......Gwyn

weshollett
04-28-2010, 09:50 AM
Another must have product.

Kennair
04-28-2010, 10:49 AM
I'll bring it along....Gwyn

I just have to steal this thread a little to comment on my 777 throttle quad. Just had a play with it tonight and it is sweeeeeeeeeeeet!!! Wait till you see pictures of the finished product, its just too bad most of you won't get a chance to actually feel it. Quality to say the least. Also had a play with the yoke elbow mechanism and it will certainly revolutionise the sim building community.

Great stuff Gwyn.

Ken.

capetonian
05-02-2010, 04:42 PM
Will do......Gwyn

Cool :) Oh, and I have another nice curveball for you , .... I am still a little stuck on the issue of a base (ie: linked yokes) or no base, .... if one does not have a base then one will need an autocentering feature on the yoke, Is this something that you plan to do in the future, could id be easily added to the current design?

Westozy
05-02-2010, 08:03 PM
Cool :) Oh, and I have another nice curveball for you , .... I am still a little stuck on the issue of a base (ie: linked yokes) or no base, .... if one does not have a base then one will need an autocentering feature on the yoke, Is this something that you plan to do in the future, could id be easily added to the current design?

Hi all,
I have no plans to offer a self centering device for my yoke hinge at the moment but I will provide a tutorial on a few methods of doing this and I wll add it to the tutorials section soon.

The next generic product will be a dual potentiometer, two way yoke base for the helicopter and fighter cockpit crew!
Cheers,
Gwyn