PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Routers !!!

riche543
04-18-2010, 10:03 PM
Hey guys, I have my CNC setup down the back of the garden in a 3M X3M shed ,Now my Neighbours have started to complain about the nosie of the CNC (Bloody Neighbours !! ) In a nice way they asked if i could not use the machine on a sunday. Ok no problem fair enough.. To minimize the noise a bit i have put the vacuum on a timer, for those of you who have routers on there cnc would know the high pitch noise that comes from them, personally when i close the shed door & stand outside i dont think it is really that loud but just that high pitch sound which i myself can turn off too. ( proberly cuz i want to lol) just thought i would leyt ya all know what us CNC,ers have to put up with... im curious if diffrent brands of routers would be quiter than others , I would say there like most power tools & are noisy , any thoughts guys..

p.s Might make the Neighbours a nice number for there house, Might keep um happy...:roll: LOL..

Cheers

Westozy
04-19-2010, 12:55 AM
Yeah the routers are noisy beasts, I always use ear muffs and I don't think there will be any quiet routers on the market! I always use the Dremel for engraving and that is a heap quieter, you will get good cutting results from a Dremel if you slow down the feed rate a bit. I've made an aluminium collar which allows my Dremel to be mounted in the router mount and this works really well for quick changing. I have asked my neighbours about the noise of my machine and they have said it doesn't bother them fortunately and I have it going until about 9pm most nights. Try switching to a Dremel!!!

Cheers, Gwyn

PropNut
06-15-2010, 02:01 PM
I realize this is a late reply, but have you thought about sound proofing your shop? My building is fully insulated (32'x48') but with the door closed my screaming banshee of a router (my table uses a Bosch 1617) is completely muffled. (although if I am running the big planer nothing can muffle that noise) If you live anywhere near an industrial area you might search for a company that makes extruded foam molds for the building industry (concrete, etc). I buy slab cut-offs for pennies (filled my 16x7 enclosed cargo trailer for 25.00) that are usually 2" thick, 2'-3' wide and 8'-12' long. This makes excellent sound (and temperature) insulation for utility buildings. For a much larger cost you can buy 2" thick (4'x8') sheets at the big box hardware stores (building materials).