PDA

View Full Version : Huey UH-1 Details

Rockeyes
04-13-2010, 05:16 PM
Can anyone help me locate some drawings, dimensions on the above? Really need some cockpit details. Spent hours surfing around the web but I’ve drawn a blank.
Thank you

Mike.Powell
04-13-2010, 08:21 PM
various operator's and training manuals have been scanned for the UH-1 and can be down loaded from the Vietnam Historical Archive :http://www.vietnam.ttu.edu/virtualarchive/ Use "TM-55-1520" and UH-1 Aviator Handbook" as search terms.

Also see http://aavnc-school.com/army%20aviation/TM_UH1.htm

Rockeyes
04-14-2010, 07:06 AM
Thanks Mike for those excellent links (and books which I have both) I’m going to be busy.

Still can’t find some dimensions for the instrument panel and center console/pedestal. Just need one or two and could hopefully work out the rest.

Bill

Rockeyes
04-14-2010, 10:05 AM
Well still no internal dimensions but learning a lot from Mikes links. I have emailed IWM Duxford to see if they will grant me access to take some internal measurements and photographs. Here a picture of the beauty.
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i264/gransden/Huey/DuxfordsUH-1.jpg

Mike.Powell
04-14-2010, 09:01 PM
I went looking for information on the modules in the UH-1 center pedestal and ran across a copy of the maintenance manual for the VHF radio. It has this dimensioned image:

http://www.mycockpit.org/photopost/data/618/vhfradio.JPG

And here's a link to the current version of the AN/APX-100 transponder. The control panel is different from the drawing in the manuals, but the overall dimensions should be the same. http://www.raytheon.com/capabilities/rtnwcm/groups/ncs/documents/content/rtn_ncs_products_apx100v.pdf

Raptor6Actual
07-31-2011, 12:29 PM
Hey Rockeyes,

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I too am starting to work on a Bell 205/ UH-1D Huey cockpit sim. I am in desperate need of some internal dimensions for just about everything on the bird. I live in Temple, TX, and apparently...if I'm told right....the local Texas Army National Guard has a fleet of old Hueys that they dismantal or "demilitarize" and then sell for salvage or something of the sort. Anyhow, this coming week (Aug 1, 2011-Aug 5, 2011) I hope to go out and see if they have any sitting out in the scorching sun. If they do, I plan to spend a couple of hours taking what I think will be very detailed dimensions of some of the major items in the cockpit.

If you have already gotten the information you desire and I can contribute to the overall info, I'd be glad to help. Otherwise, just let me know what you're still needing and I'll see what I can do. Thanks

Mike.Powell
07-31-2011, 01:03 PM
Here's another source of military tech manuals: http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/

Although you probably won't find the dimensions you're currently looking for, the manuals may provide answers for future questions.

We don't have many helicopter sim builders here which is a shame. Please post status updates (with pix!). Sounds like an interesting project.

Raptor6Actual
07-31-2011, 01:17 PM
Thx Mike. BTW, I'm new to the forums, are you the same Mike Powell that wrote the "Building Recreational Flight Simulators" *****?

What are the policies on "sharing" info or CD's full of technical manuals that we may have pertaining to helicopters? Can we pass them or post them for others if we're not asking for money? Or since I had to pay for the information, would that cheat the company that provided the information? I guess after writing this, I just answered my own question, seeing as it would probably upset the website who sells the info for a profit to keep their own doors open.

Anyways, I will definitely start another thread with pix as I go along, I don't want to steal Rockeyes area. Thanks for all the help

Mike.Powell
07-31-2011, 01:57 PM
Yup, that would be me.

IANAL, nonetheless, my un-informed opinion is that US military manuals are public domain, and selling CDs of those manuals does not convey a copywrite to the issuing company. That certainly seems to be the opinion of the person who created the free library of manuals at Liberated Manuals. If the manuals are enhanced or modified in some way they may be considered derivative works which might change the situation, but once again, IANAL. Perhaps someone with a better understanding of copywrite can comment.

Raptor6Actual
08-20-2011, 05:55 PM
Just an update. I took a trip last week over to West Texas and spent about three hours in the heat of the hangar trying to get as much detail and pics as I could. I found out there is another Huey about thirty miles away from where I live, so I will be able to go back and forth a lot more.

In the meantime, I'll try to edit the pics so as to not overload the thread, but I did get some measurements on the center control panel, the overhead, and some of the main instrument panel. I also dropped about $2k this last few days ordering an actual Huey main panel and about six instruments and radio parts so as to get a real sense of the inner working of the cockpit.

Mike, I also bought your "Building Simulated Aircraft Instrumentation" book a few days ago (Thanks for the fast shipping!) and this will definitely come in handy in the way of converting the real instruments into PC compatible items.

I picked up a cyclic grip, the Co-Pilot's collective, and the Pilot's door from an actual Huey. Hopefully, this will all start coming together. I'll take some pics for others, and try to put up some dimensions.

Mike.Powell
08-20-2011, 07:14 PM
Huey detail pictures will be a good addition. They've been in short supply. Thanks.

I've been working on some updated single pointer instruments which might be of use in your project. They're based on DIY air-core movements and on Switech stepping motor automotive gauge movements. The air-core movements are good for very small diameter gauges, down to a 1". The Switech movements will fit into 2" and up gauges, are limited to about 300 degrees of rotation, but you don't have to make them. They're available through Ebay for $4~7 each depending on quantity. I've designed a prototype circuit board for driving them.

Raptor6Actual
08-20-2011, 07:23 PM
Not to rush you, and this is an issue to address way in the future for me, but do you have an expected release date for your other book about projection screens? I guess many sim builders would love to have a fully enclosed sim with out taking up too much room. This of course would be expensive for most of us.

As I've read, many people make use of multiple LCD projectors, but they need distance to provide a sufficient screen/environment look.

With the Huey, I would love to see what other options you might have in mind for different screen scenarios so as to keep the cockpit enclosure to a more compact look.

I'm not stuck to a fully enclosed cockpit idea, but knowing some of your thoughts would be great.

Mike.Powell
08-20-2011, 07:57 PM
Sorry, no release date as yet.

Raptor6Actual
08-29-2011, 02:35 AM
I'm still gathering parts for the Huey cockpit. The main part I'm awaiting is the Instrument panel to come in from Thailand. Once it's in, I'm going to trace it, and get some dimensions posted for anyone else interested in a helicopter setup. I'm also awaiting the Map holder that goes to the aft section of the lower center console area. All of the items I have thus far, and the ones in transit, will hopefully come together to get better dimensions on the items I only have pictures of from the technical manual I paid for. There are a few other items on eBay, but I've run out of funding for the time being and will just have to let them slip.

I'm just going to put this out there, but if anyone's got any cockpit items they'd like to get measurements or pictures of and post them in here, I'd really appreciate it. Or, if anyone knows of a person or salvage yard in their area that has a UH-1 cockpit for sale, please tell me and I'll pawn the spousal unit to buy it....just kidding, but the kids are always an option :P

allenj
04-01-2012, 03:02 PM
Hi,

Any updates on your project? I've been trying to find a UH-1 to measure but no success so far. I have a set of pedals but will have to build the cyclic and collective the best I can. Appreciate any updates, thanks.

Knight3
05-10-2012, 10:54 PM
I have a UH-1 instrument panel. Can I help you with dimensions?

allenj
05-11-2012, 08:53 PM
I have a UH-1 instrument panel. Can I help you with dimensions?

If you could post the height and width along with a nice photo taken perpendicular to the panel it would be a great help. Thanks.

Knight3
05-11-2012, 09:01 PM
If you could post the height and width along with a nice photo taken perpendicular to the panel it would be a great help. Thanks.

Sure...I'll take a few photos tomorrow and post them. Would you rather I send them to your email account?

allenj
05-11-2012, 09:18 PM
Sure...I'll take a few photos tomorrow and post them. Would you rather I send them to your email account?

Sure, you could send them to dhc82001 at yahoo.com Thanks very much.

Knight3
05-12-2012, 11:34 AM
I sent a number of pictures to your Yahoo address but email was kicked back???

the
Sure, you could send them to dhc82001 at yahoo.com Thanks very much.

allenj
05-12-2012, 07:15 PM
I sent a number of pictures to your Yahoo address but email was kicked back???

the

Sorry, please try dhc82001 at yahoo.se

Going to get my collective and cyclic designed in Solidworks 3D tomorrow with help from my brother. I'll try to post some photos later.

Thanks again.

Knight3
05-14-2012, 02:33 PM

Here's a shot taken perpendicular to the instrument panel. Dimensions are:

39 3/4" Wide
15 5/8" High (at center)
11 1/4" High (Rt side)
13" High (Lft side)

I can provide more details. Pls contact me: o6ret@aol.com

Knight3
05-14-2012, 06:04 PM
Sorry, there's an error in the address: my contact info is: o6ret@aol.com

allenj
05-15-2012, 09:24 AM
Wow, you've got the instruments and everything. Very impressive. Thanks for the great info.

Crewstationworx
05-15-2012, 01:10 PM
Hi Raptor6actual,
I am new to this fourm, but an old hand cockpit collector and restoration type, as well as a simpit builder. I have some Huey stuff I can measure,mbut more importantly I did a restoration of the Collings Foundation's fly able UH-1E cockpit and interior back in 04. I took a million detailed pictures of the process and those pics would be very helpful for you as they show it from every angle and direction as each part came out and when it all went back in. The pictures of the instrument panels, pedals, and other parts all removed males it much easier to see how the interior is actually shaped and constructed. I have some real parts from a twin Huey that I am happy to let you borrow to replicate since you are in Texas too, although it sounds like you have access to some Huey's all on your own. If you need more hands on time on a Huey I can help there too. I live in Keller, Texas, a suburb of Ft. Worth.
Happy to help if I can.
I do military fast jet cockpits, but I love helicopters too and they are much rarer. Good luck on your project!
Chris
Lowlevelroute@gmail.com

PS. I emailed Rockeyes in the UK and told him the same thing, although he isn't quite as close as Temple! : )

Menessis
09-29-2013, 01:11 PM
Hello. I too am interested in the Huey pit pics. I would gladly take anything you guys have available.

BTW the more pics posted here the better too.

Pedals
Cyclic
Collective
Seat

Thanks
M

jrsteensen
03-31-2015, 11:02 PM
Been working at scaling the very few Pedestal drawings I've found. Using the standard 5.75" width of the panels, I came up with the following chart.

Can anyone confirm or deny the panel (i.e. backplate) heights?

Starting to build the center pedestal models based on the DCS module configuration. Made myself a parametric panel model (SolidWorks) that will do anything 3U-24U in height - just punch holes for switches, and go.

jrsteensen
04-13-2015, 02:16 PM
Starting work. Going to swing by my local Air and Space museum - they have a UH-1H they have offered to open up and let me spend the day measuring, documenting, and modelling in.