PDA

View Full Version : Need some info/thoughts on this PVC sheet like Westozy uses

IanHay
04-02-2010, 03:51 PM
Hi all,

I just had that most horrible experience; my Microsoft Sidewinder just decided to take it's retirement.:cry:

I looked around, did not like or could not afford what is currently available, so it's time to get brave (or stupid) and try to make my own. I'm looking to make a regular joystick, most probably floor mounted, and for GA use.

Biggest problem I see so far is that of getting a sensible transfer of movement measured properly, and that measurement passed on to the computer.

So, thinking a bit sideways I was wondering, does sheet PVC bear very well against more PVC, maybe in the form of a thickish rod. Adding to that thought, if I were to try and drill the ubiquitous 6mm PVC sheet with say a 16mm titanium coated forstner bit would I regret trying that? As in - is it likely to be terribly hazardous in some way or other?

I'm trying to find a way to get a larger diameter rod to act as an axle for rotation, hoping for smooth movement but with some resistance due to greater drag of the increased contact surface area. I can buy 16mm PVC rod for example, and given a 16mm hole I'm guessing it might work. I want it non metallic as I'd like to try hall effect for a change from pots as good solid metal gears are not always easy to come by in the UK. Well not in realistically small quantities.

My most sophisticated tool is a rickety bench press drill that can sometimes be coaxed into drilling true after several refits of the bit in the chuck! Max bit shank is 11 or 13 mm I think, hence having to think "forstner bits" :roll:

Any useful thoughts, experience or warnings in this enterprise would be much appreciated.:wink:

mondo50m
04-03-2010, 07:32 PM
I have had very good luck in machining PVC sheet. Of course, the thickest I have worked with to date has been 1/2" or about 12.7mm. I have not used a forstner bit for drilling in the PVC, but have used common spade bits with no problem. PVC is very nice material to work with.

Milt

IanHay
04-04-2010, 05:40 AM
OK, thanks very much indeed, 6mm sheet should not be problem then. I only have spade bits at present but would be happy enough to invest in the forstners for the odd sizes that the spades don't cater to.

I had to drill some 3mm ABS sheet with a 16mm spade a few days ago, I made sure I was in a well ventilated area, and went for it. Found out that ABS is not too bad to drill but likes to heat soften a bit quickly, and can make a mess if you don't take it easy and let it cool from time to time. Did not have the luxury of some scrap to try it on first, so that was a bit nervous making for sure! Got through it OK in the end and I'm 99.5% happy with the result. Had some small melt/flash to clean after, but nothing too serious.

I'm hoping to get my hands on some PVC sheet shortly for a trial or two.

Knowing spade bits have been OK for you so far is very welcome news indeed. If by chance someone gave me a CNC machine I'd have no where to keep it, so being able to get by with old fashioned domestic tools is a big bonus.

Thanks very much for sharing the info with me.

mondo50m
04-04-2010, 08:34 AM
Just to let you know, I have never had a problem with PVC melting either from drilling or from using on the CNC machine. Again, very nice material to work with and is workable with any common tools.

Milt