PDA

View Full Version : graphic improvment for FSX

stepbk
03-28-2010, 06:36 AM
Hi Guys

I normally run FS2004 without any issues and happy for its graphics.
Lately i have been flying FSX but the graphic is a bit disappointment,
i went out and bought a new Graphic card, HIS 7560 GT, it hardly made
a difference. Is it my computer or is it just the FSX setup.
I have 4 gig ram, Intelcore2 7300.
Can anyone suggest something.
thanks in advance

ryanf
03-28-2010, 07:02 AM
FSX is a CPU intensive game so adding better graphics cards won't really help. I have an Intel Core 2 E8400 (which is faster than the processor you mention) and while FS9 does really well on it, FSX is slow unless I have many settings (e.g. AI traffic off, autogen medium) turned down.

So if you really want smooth FSX performance, you will probably have to get a faster CPU. You might be able to tune FSX to get acceptable performance on your machine but it will involve compromising on its features.

autocadplease
03-28-2010, 04:40 PM
ryanf is totally correct, FSX's code doesn't really take advatange of the video card's GPU or memory. The fastest CPU is really the only thing that will help. We all feel your pain!

stepbk
04-01-2010, 07:11 PM
Thanks for understanding. My next computer will be focused mainly on FS. haha

Boeing 747 Flyer
04-08-2010, 04:23 PM
Hi there,

Try adding the line:

[BUFFERPOOLS]
PoolSize=0

To the top of your FSX.cfg

it makes much more use of your GFX Card's memroy for outstanding FPS! Sometimes though, it can cause stutters and other problems.

Shawn
04-08-2010, 04:45 PM
By default bufferpool size in FSX = 1000000 I wouldn't think setting this to 0 would have a negative effect. I think increasing the poolsize would be preferred.

Boeing 747 Flyer
04-08-2010, 05:57 PM
By default bufferpool size in FSX = 1000000 I wouldn't think setting this to 0 would have a negative effect. I think increasing the poolsize would be preferred.

That's not how it works.
Setting Poolsize to 0 allows maximum use of the GPU memory. This works best with a 1GB+ Card.
However, for some high values are better, it just depends on your "sweet-spot". But yes, 0 is the usual number. I have had my FPS doubled, almost Tripled in some cases.

Shawn
04-10-2010, 12:06 PM
Thanks Boeing 747 Flyer, I'll give that a try then, looks like I might have been going the wrong way with the numbers, all I got with this tweak was stutters.

Cheers

Boeing 747 Flyer
04-11-2010, 05:28 PM
No problem. If you get stutters, set the in-game FPS Limiter to 40. The human eye can't detect any mroe FPS and 38 anyway, so there's no point in setting higher than 40.

stepbk
04-13-2010, 10:43 PM
hey guys

I cant find the FSX.cfg file
would it be under different name

Rockeyes
04-14-2010, 07:22 AM
hey guys

I cant find the FSX.cfg file
would it be under different name

Try
C:\Documents and Settings\Application Data\(Your Windows User Name)\Microsoft\FSX
In Vista
C:\Users\Your Windows User Name Here\Application Data\Microsoft\fsx\fsx.cfg

It could also be a hidden file so you will need to select ‘show hidden’ Have you just tried a system search? Remember to back up your original before ANY changes.