PDA

View Full Version : Plunge Clearance.

riche543
03-26-2010, 09:51 PM
Hey all
I have a question regarding plunge clerance on multiple passes . Im using mach3 & lazycam to generate Gcode. For example i want to cut 6mm with passes of 2mm I start my cut at Z 0.000 First cut goes down Z -2.0000 now before it goes down to -4.0000 or -6.0000 it raises back up to Z 0.0000 every time this is wasting so much time , is plunge clearance the right setting i should be looking at in lazycam posting options. At the moment it is set at 0.1000
Thanks guys

Riche.

autocadplease
03-27-2010, 12:52 AM
This is common. To get around this use Mach3's Z-inhibit. Post your GCode using one pass to your final depth BUT use the Z-Inhibit feature. The Z-Inhibit will allow you to set the depth of each pass regardless of what the posted GCode is asking for. Then it will not return to the rapid height/start depth after each pass.

riche543
03-27-2010, 01:08 AM
Thanks Grant will try that Cheers.

Riche..

riche543
03-27-2010, 06:09 PM
Hi Grant.

I have tried using the method you mentioned, but maybe Im missing somthing as I can get mach3 z inhibit to cut certain depths, but it still rises upto plunge clerance, which in lazycams posting options is now set to 0.0001. This is an improvement for me as it's not going up to rapid height ie: +1.0000 every pass. But is it possible to totally remove plunge clearance while cutting down to say -9.0 with -1.8 passes.
Cheers
Riche..

autocadplease
03-28-2010, 04:30 PM
"is it possible to totally remove plunge clearance"

It is more of a function of the GCode / posting. I have played with LazyCAM a little bit, but I use ArtCAM so I am not totally familar with the posting options with LazyCAM. What type of tool path are you using? Some plunge drill/hole tool paths are intended to return to the rapid height to allow for material to exit the hole - so the waste material doesn't impede the drilling.
So, I don't think it is a Mach3 issue as it is a matter of tweaking the GCode. Having said that, I am not an expert. If you ask the question at cnczone.com you will have experts help you. That is where I learned about 99% of everything I know.