PDA

View Full Version : (BenQ) Short throw projectors.

capetonian
03-20-2010, 10:38 AM
I have been looking at reviews and reading different sites that have information on short throw projectors. From what I have read I have concluded that I would be able to use a shot throw projector mounted (when I reach that stage) on the top of my overhead.
Now the distance to the wall will be about 1 meter, maybe slightly more. but the projector will be at quite an angle. What is the Keystone correction like on a short throw projector? I would much rather use a projector than a screen but I am not sure about the keystone correction.

fsaviator
03-21-2010, 10:47 AM
Andrew (Did I get the name right?),

I just bought three BenQ MP772ST projectors. I'm looking to do the same thing. I also plan to use Nthusim.

I haven't broken them out of the box yet, but I plan to start preliminary trials this week to see how I'll be setting them up. Based on room, I may only be able to use two projectors. I'm having the same concerns with throw and such.

I'll be posting my efforts if you can hold on a week.

capetonian
03-21-2010, 10:56 AM
No problem whatsoever waiting, ... you know what it's like in this game, .. you spend weeks and weeks,( .. er make that months and months) reading and researching stuff before you actually buy or build things. I am nowhere near buying the projectors yet... but I want to know if they will work, . otherwise Ill settle for two 32" LCD's on a dual head to go and I'll be set for a while.

No hurries :)

Sean Nixon
03-21-2010, 11:18 AM
I'm not sure you would need to angle the projector that much anyhow. If you turn the projector upside down, the top of the image will be level with the bottom of the lens (which is now at the top as you've flipped it over). The short throw lens will throw the image quite far down over. That's pretty much where you want it to be in front of you. What height do you envisage the projector being off the ground? I've got a short throw Acer I can provide some experimentation with. May give you some food for thought?

choffmann
03-21-2010, 01:13 PM
Great idea, Sean, but I believe not every short throw projector has a feature to project the image "upside down"? (is there a go-around for it?) I guess, many of us here have the problem of restricted space, so short throw projectors are generally a good solution. I have been looking out for some as well, and itīs interesting that I stumbled upon the BenQ projectors, too. They seem to be good value for a fair price.

Chris

Sean Nixon
03-21-2010, 01:48 PM
Hi Chris

I think most projectors have the facility to flip the image vertically depending on table or ceiling mounting (also the facility to flip horizontally for forward/rear projection). Certainly all the ones I've come across have, including some older models.

Re: BenQ, when I was looking to buy my projectors, I'd pretty much settled on the BenQ MP525ST. It's an entry level XGA short throw projector. The guy where I eventually bought them also suggested an Acer model which was slightly cheaper with slightly better specs (but very similar to the BenQ). I went with the Acers.

The BenQ MP772ST here in the UK is quite expensive. It currently costs twice what my Acers cost in December. I notice it's marketed as a business projector. Not sure what the differences are?

choffmann
09-02-2010, 12:29 PM
Would like to revive this thread.
Can you tell me your experiences with your projectors over the last half a year, Warren and Sean? Did you get a projector solution, Andrew?
I am very close to buy me three projectors. I feel from the different data sheets, that ACER S5200, which is an ultra short throw and 3D-ready, might be a good one at this time.
Appreciate your comments.

Chris

fsaviator
09-02-2010, 07:42 PM
Chris, as you may know, I'm very limited on space and determined to have a projector solution.

The three 772STs I have are nice, but they do not allow you to adjust for distance. That means once you mount them, you get what you get. That means that it takes a lot to get them right.

I have them installed and Nthusim set up, but I am not using them right now. I found that it was too hard to work on getting my MIP setup and testing the various interfaces with the projectors. The immersion factor had me getting neck-aches swiveling my head. I'm currently using three monitors until I have the MIP finished.

I will say that the 772s show a lot of pixelation at the distance my projectors are at: just under a meter.

Here's an example:

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj267/wsoeldner/B737NG-SIM/222d5afe.jpg

This is projecting from a meter, onto both the wall and a piece of what I'm using for a screen.

If you look at the image you can see little square throughout. I'm convinced that will go away subconsciously though.

I'm hoping over the next month to get to a point where I'm back to projectors... I need to finish yokes and rudders first though. That's this weekend I hope.

blueskydriver
09-03-2010, 01:44 AM
Hey Chris and Andrew,

It seems that projectors are the most talked about items in the last week or so. I assume it's because fall is upon us and we're moving back indoors to our sims...

Here is the latest news that I discovered about projectors like the BenQ MP782-ST that Ivar is using and alternatives that are available:

1. The BenQ MP782-ST is no longer available from BenQ USA per email reply from Eric Hass,
Director ProAV/SMB Sales, BenQ America Corp.

2. The replacement model that BenQ is going to offer is the all new MW811ST, which will be available at the end of September (it's so new, it's not even in (any) stores yet). This model's specs are really nice, no pricing yet.

3. The Mitsubishi EW230u-ST and the Dell S300W are in the running for best alternatives for the same price range of $1,000 each. Of course, you could always spend more and get better projectors, but why do that when Ivar, as well as Scott and Joe (plus others) have done the "proof of concept" work for us. They've shown that these models of projectors are excellant for our needs.

4. I have a good thread going on the Flightdeck Solutions Website here:
http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4302&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

You can read a lot of good comparsion information there.

I will start including all information I get about this topic to this MYC thread; thus, it will hopefully help as many pilots as possible. Chris check out www.projectorcentral.com for a good way to compare the Acer model to other units. In fact, I suggest that everyone use the www.projectorcentral.com website (or another projector calculator website) because it has an awesome projector calculator, as well a great way to compare models.

John

blueskydriver
09-03-2010, 01:54 AM
Hey Warren,

That looks like "jaggy edges" within Flight Simulator and not your projectors. By looking at your screen images close-up all the pixels look uniform (looks like a screen door pattern). If I look at the menu line and title line of Flight Simulator, the text appears straight and not jaggy. It's just inside the cockpit (your virtual cockpit view), around the windscreen and outside on the runways (lines) and taxiways (lines). Do you get this much jaggy edges when using the projectors with other programs? If not, then you're problems are within Flight Simulator for sure.

Please let me know if you get this fixed or have done so already? One less problem to worry about, is one more day to spend flying the sim...

John