PDA

View Full Version : Learning how to do text

spitfire9
03-03-2010, 08:44 PM
Finally seeing some better results with text on my Zenbot CNC.

I was cutting too fast,, I finally realized that I was using 300 in/min not 300 mm/min !!
Also I discovered that the Bosch Colt router/spindle would only go down to 16,000 rpm minimum.

A friend of mine who is great with electricity (Lee,, "ve4anc" on this forum) wired up an electrical box with a fan speed control rotary switch. When the spindle is plugged in ,you can dial down the rpm. That way I can get very slow rpms on the spindle.
Beware though,, if you use a light dimmer,, it will burn up the spindle motor,, you have to use a fan speed control/dimmer.

Attached is a picture of the KX-165 i used as a test. The dxf is in the download section.

Also,, I used a single line font that seems to look pretty good. I had been looking on the internet for a good engravers single line font and came across a small free program called "Stick Font". After installing it I noticed that the font also came up in the Cut2D drop down list.
It is used in the KX-165 DXF I left in the download section. it looks kind of weird on the DXF but looks alright after it is cut.

Buddym
03-04-2010, 12:04 AM
Nice work! I am getting about the same results, maybe a little better, but not much if any. The single line font seems to be the way to go for this stuff, I saw a post from westozy that referenced a font he used, but I can't find it now. His stuff, Phil, Wendy all look great... Keep up the good work!
Buddy

Buddym
03-07-2010, 12:14 AM
I am getting close!!! This panel has 2 problems:

(1) My CNC machine was not making perfect circles..... I found that the drive nut on the X-axis had became a little loose. I spent 20 minutes finding it and fixing it AFTER the panel was cut...

(2) I scratched it! DARN DARN DARN!

BUT....it's a pretty good looking attempt, The paint came out perfect! Its very tuff, and no light pentrates...

BuddyM
A320 Builder
Tampa, Florida, USA

Westozy
03-07-2010, 01:31 AM
Hi guys,
I am told that Boeing panels use "Futura Md BT"...

Gwyn

Buddym
03-07-2010, 02:20 AM
Hey Gwyn,

Hope you're having a great day. Wanted to say thanks again for all of the input, inspiration, and info you've given us.... it does help.

BuddyM

Wendy
03-07-2010, 03:23 AM
Hello,

You can find Futura font at the link below.
http://members.fortunecity.es/todofuentes1/index/descarga/f.htm#fu

How to manipulate fonts so that you can engrave them ?

-If you have autocad you should also install Express Tools.
-After you placed the text, select one letter and choose from the Express menu, Text and Explode Text
-After Explode Text, press Enter
-You can now see different lines that make up the letter.
-Delete all the lines that are not necessary

Hope this helps,

Regards, Wendy

Westozy
03-07-2010, 07:27 AM
Hey Gwyn,

Hope you're having a great day. Wanted to say thanks again for all of the input, inspiration, and info you've given us.... it does help.

BuddyM

Cheers Buddy, happy to help and share what I learn!!!

Gwyn

spitfire9
03-07-2010, 12:38 PM
Thanks Wendy, I,ve already downloaded the Futura text but the freeware program (Allycad) that I'm using doesn't have that explode text option??
That is why I am using that Stick Font.

Thanks Gwyn , Wendy, and everyone else on this forum. I'm afraid I would have sold that cnc machine by now if it weren't for all the help here !
As it is now,, I am just scratching the surface of what the machine will do,, but I'm having lots of fun with it.Someone had said in an earlier thread "the cnc will become a hobby in its own" . They were right.