PDA

View Full Version : Opencockpits CDU backlight

markusr
03-03-2010, 03:03 PM
Hi,

i don't own the OC CDU right now, but if I buy it I have the intention to make it backlit.
I read in the manual that its ready for backlight, but don't understand what OC means with this.
Has someone done already a backlighting for the CDU? If yes, how? Can you send some pics please?
Thanks for the help in advance.

Markus

Anderson/SBSP
03-03-2010, 08:49 PM
Read to backlight means: the acrilic plates are read to pass light. I´m sorry my english is bad!! hehehe

Kennair
03-17-2010, 11:02 AM
Hi Markus,

All of the OC panels are ready to be backlit. What this means is that you can place a suitable globe or LED at the rear of the panel and have the letters light up when viewed from the front. The process to achieve this is pretty much the same no matter whether its a CDU, MCP or ComNav radio etc. In fact I've just retrofitted backlighting to my OC MCP and written a tutorial to help other builders such as yourself. You can find it in the "Tutorial" section of Mycockpit. Although it takes you through backlighting the MCP, you can apply the same priniciple to the CDU. Experiment with different LED's to find which one gives enough light and work out how many you will need. The less the better as it requires less wiring.

Good luck,

Ken.

markusr
03-17-2010, 11:13 AM
Hi Ken,

thanks for the tip, i will look at it.
Do you know if the 5 LEDS (OFST, MSG, DSPY, FAIL and to the EXEC key - described in the manual of the CDU) are already built in? If yes, how can i connect them to my USB Output board? in the manual they were only talking from the Master Card with connection to the 40 pin cable.

Thanks,
Markus

fordgt40
03-17-2010, 11:28 AM
Markus

Not sure about the ready built FMC, however, in the FMC kit the leds for the lit functions are included. You need to run wires from your USB Output card to the appropriate pins on the 40 pin connector, as described in the manual. I soldered onto the back of the pcb 40 pin connector as per the attached link.

http://www.737ng.co.uk/djb/opencockpits_fmc.pdf

David

markusr
03-21-2010, 04:17 PM
Hello David,

what Grahpic Card are you using.
I thought the LCD is only 800*600 capable?
Thanks,

Markus

fordgt40
03-21-2010, 04:49 PM
Markus

I thought the same as well. I have the FMC running off my laptop through the s-video connector and then a composite converter. The graphics chip is NVIDEA GeForce 8400M GS. I have the laptop screen and FMC screen set up as a combined worktop and the resolution for the psone screen is set at 1024 by 768! Not certain what is going on but it works!

Regards

David

Hello David,

what Grahpic Card are you using.
I thought the LCD is only 800*600 capable?
Thanks,

Markus

capttlm
03-31-2010, 12:02 PM
Hello David,
Maybe you can help me understand the FMC's connection to FS4? I have everything working with my flight sim, SIOC EFIS, GAUGES, KINGAIR GAUGES and so forth. But the FMC from "opencockpit" is connected to a another computer than the one from the FS4. It works, but the FS4 aircraft doesn't follow the programed path set forth during the flight. Numbers are moving within the FMC, it follows the path of the flight, it just doesn't control the plane.

Q: Should I change files in FS4? Should have the FMC on the same MAIN COMPUTER? IS there a set of fles in the FMC I should program?

Please help me to make this connection for the theFMC/ CDU.

Thanks,

Tommy

twisted8
03-31-2010, 01:43 PM
What FMC software are you using and how are the 2 PC connected together?

capttlm
03-31-2010, 10:56 PM
To be truthful, I am not sure which software I am using because someone else put the software in. I believe it is Project Megenta. Connected with Widefs.
Do I need to have installed PM software for the FMC from opencockpit to work with
the FS4 planes?
Again, it works, It just doesn't control the 737 in FS4.

Thanks,

Tommy

capttlm
03-31-2010, 10:57 PM
Also, I have four (4) pc connected through the Widefs using SIOC.

Tommy

twisted8
04-01-2010, 08:22 AM
sounds to me more like you might not be programming the FMC correctly or not using the MCP right. Are you trying to use use LNAV/VNAV?

nax228
04-02-2010, 05:25 AM
I can't seem to find this tutorial for installing backlight. Can anyone post a link?
I want to backlight my OC CDU as well.

BishBash
04-03-2010, 05:19 AM
http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=385

nax228
04-03-2010, 11:50 AM
Great. Thanks

EDIT: actually, this doesn't apply to the FMC...