PDA

View Full Version : Nutty Proffesor strikes again

wannabeaflyer
02-25-2010, 04:05 PM
Hi Guy , am going to start adding my mad ideas and projects that i am working on here for my cnc machine , so here is the
1st installment it my attempt at a 4th axis for my current and future machine , as I'm a bit of hoarder over the years and numerous projects started ( not Finished But the thought was there ) i have accumulated a fair ol selection of bits and bobs , so when the latest fad hit me , i had a brainstorm ( more like brain fade but we wont go there ) and thought of connecting one of my stepper motors to a 90 Degree reduction drive gearbox that i bought off ebay for my morion cockpit ( Shoulda gotten 2 LOL:-) ) anyways by mounting this gearbox onto an 18mm MDF base plate and using my CNC router to make the motor mount i came up with This ( Voilą ) not original not new or groundbreaking but just done with bits gathering dust . i have attached the Drawing as a jpeg file for the time being but will add pictures and full PDF file very soon for anyone interested. not bad if i may say so , for a few hours ( i know it shows LOL:-) Work .

wannabeaflyer
02-25-2010, 04:44 PM
Hi Guy , am going to start adding my mad ideas and projects that i am working on here for my cnc machine , so here is the
1st installment it my attempt at a 4th axis for my current and future machine , as I'm a bit of hoarder over the years and numerous projects started ( not Finished But the thought was there ) i have accumulated a fair ol selection of bits and bobs , so when the latest fad hit me , i had a brainstorm ( more like brain fade but we wont go there ) and thought of connecting one of my stepper motors to a 90 Degree reduction drive gearbox that i bought off ebay for my morion cockpit ( Shoulda gotten 2 LOL:-) ) anyways by mounting this gearbox onto an 18mm MDF base plate and using my CNC router to make the motor mount i came up with This ( Voilą ) not original not new or groundbreaking but just done with bits gathering dust . i have attached the Drawing as a jpeg file for the time being but will add pictures and full PDF file very soon for anyone interested. not bad if i may say so , for a few hours ( i know it shows LOL:-) Work .

OK he's back already just took a pic of my new single axis controller card ( courtesy of Ebay via hong Kong ya gotta luv it.. was there life before ebay ? ) pcb comes built but not yet powered up by moi cost's £12.00 so again not bad value for money and if it proves OK could be a good backup source if my Xylotex card packs up (i forbid that he says tempting fate ) , anyways as you can just about make out the Reduction unit cost at the time £10 ( bargain or what ) and is a 10:1 ratio the base and motor mount are 18mm MDF and a flexi coupler ( which Could be have been a piece of reinforced air line hose and 2 jubilee clips ) along with 2 interchangeable 3 jaw chucks i had .. will post electrical connection and setup info in my next post along with the finally assembled and tested unit ( still have to work out the steps per degree etc and a home switch ) Cheers guys