PDA

View Full Version : Displays for PC-12 EADI/EHSI

DruffNix
02-15-2010, 08:57 AM
Hello everybody,

i evaluate the chances to build a Pilatus PC-12 homecockpit and a the moment I don't know how to display the EADI/EHSI.

In gerneral I think there a two approaches.

1) Use a 19' or bigger TFT, show all instruments (EADI/EHSI, altimeter, vertical peed indicator etc) on the display an cut the appropriate instrument dimensions in the wooden main panel.

2) More realistic, buy the analog gauges (eg. from flight illusion) and use one (or two) smaller monitors for the EADI/EHSI.

I like the second approach most (apart from the monetary aspect ;) ) but the monitors really have to be small, otherwise I can't use hardware gauges because I can't get them into the panel because of the panel layout.

So do you guys have any suggestions for small monitors/TFT's which suit the needs?

Thank you and regards, Markus

Steve1970
02-15-2010, 09:19 AM
Hi,

I used a 5.7" LCD kit from earth LCD.
Google for earthlcd

hope this helps
Steve

DruffNix
02-15-2010, 10:02 AM
Hi,

I used a 5.7" LCD kit from earth LCD.
Google for earthlcd

hope this helps
Steve

Hi Steve,

it looks very interesting indeed!
But the price is a bit high for my taste...

Thanks for fast reply, Markus

Ronson2k9
02-15-2010, 02:06 PM
You have kind of boxed yourself in. I was going to say you could re-arrange your monitor so that the EADI/EHSI is one of the primaries carried by your main monitor. It's really a plus minus thing though. You will have to give up something to get something. Not trying to be facetious about it. If you have already bought/installed the instruments around it you pretty much need an LCD or the instrument from Flight Illusions as you had mentioned.

From a small monitor standpoint you could try to find a digital picture frame that accepts composite video but the resolution could be less then you would like (as it's not VGA but composite). You could do a screen cap of the gauge on your PC and then put that on a thumb drive and take it with you to the store to try it.

I would try here.
http://www.aeicomp.com/LCD_Modules.asp?MANUFACTURER=LCD%20Modules&CATEGORY=LCD%20Monitors

I'm interested in putting a HSI in my simpit and I'm looking to do something similar to you so I'd be quite interested in what you find out.

DruffNix
02-16-2010, 07:10 AM
Hi Ronson2k9,

the idea with a digital picture frame is the direction is was thinking about by myself as well.
In several arcticles I have read that the quality is not the best in particular regarding diplaying fast graphic movements.
Ok, what is fast..? Worth giving a try.

The other solution I'm thinking about is to use a usb mini monitor like this:
http://www.nanovisionmimo.com/

It has the charm that the display can be alternated between landscape and portrait angles and can be easily connected via usb.
Using the portrait angle the EADI and EHSI can be diplayed one below the other. So only two monitors are needed (left and right side of the cockpit).

Maybe I will buy one of these mimo monitors. If it doesn't suit my needs I sure can user it otherwise.

The link you posted is very promising as well! I will have to study all the items carefully ;-)

Thanks for your tips, Markus