PDA

View Full Version : Learn from my mistake with USBOutputs card

peterkwu
02-11-2010, 10:03 PM
I was starting to wire up a USBOutputs card with a 28v power supply to interface some real Cole starter switches and a real B737 landing gear lever.

I must have read the manual ten times, including the part where it says if you have both jumpers on and use something other than a 5v power source, the board will be damaged.

I can verify this is absolutely true. I forgot to check the jumpers and they connected the 28v power supply. A puff of smoke came up from the one chip on the card. Unfortunately the card was connected to the computer via a USB cable, and the computer shut down and now won't restart.

The only visible damage on the USBOutputs card is on one pin of an IC chip that's in a socket.

I'm wondering:

if the computer needs a new motherboard, new power supply, or both?

and

if I can repair the USBOutputs card by replacing the damaged chip?

This hobby has so many highs and lows. Earlier today I got my LE devices indicator working. Lesson learned, I will always check the jumpers from now on!

Buddym
02-13-2010, 03:46 AM
Hi Peter,

Best bet from experience is just a motherboard.... More than likeley the USB Outputs card can be fixed easily... I looked on the OC site and could not find a schematic for it, but I am sure there is one there someplace.

Perik
02-13-2010, 06:01 PM
Hi Peter and Buddym

OpenCockpits have not released the schematics for USB Output Card yet.
I have asked for it many times, but no success so far.
Kind of a “secret” and very different from the rest of the products.

Peter, I suggest you forget your current board and order a replacement.
When appling 28V to the +5V it’s a high risk you’ve blown all the IC’s, not
just the one physically showing damage. Even some traces may be broken.