PDA

View Full Version : How to interface warning lights.

No Longer Active
02-04-2010, 05:47 AM
Hi.

I have just made my'marker beacon' warning light panel in my GA aircraft that consists of 3 different coloured LED's, and is wondering what is the easiest and cheapest way of lighting these 3 x LED's up.

I only need 3 outputs and that's it, so spending £50-70 on OC or Phidgets cards is a little harsh for 3 x LED's and was wondering if there is a much simpler or easier way of doing so, even a simple little circuit available?

Kind Regards,

Alex

caKus
02-04-2010, 08:12 AM
Hi Alex,

Did you consider using an USB to parallel adaptater ? It cost around 20 € but you will have to do some programming and soldering ....

Regards.

Patrick.

ian@737ng.co.uk
02-04-2010, 10:40 AM
hello alex........
these OMI 'markers' are triggered by radio beacons on the ground. the data is available in FS, but you need some kind of 'interface' that can read the data and then switch the led's for you. inputting to the sim is easy, but as soon as you want to lift data out, you come to 'the first fence' which sadly is going to cost you.
i was thinking about this and i just cannot see anyway to 'simulate' the operation of the markers because you would need distance information from inside the sim just to make a workaround. that of course puts you back at the first fence.
understand totally what you say about not wanting to spend the dosh just to get 3 led's working, but think ahead. for example with a phidgets card and alan's fs2phidgets there could be more you could do like generator lights and low fuel warning etc. maybe worth a look..... sorry mate, not much help on this one....
regards from wales ... ian

manhattan
02-04-2010, 11:37 AM
hello alex........
these OMI 'markers' are triggered by radio beacons on the ground. the data is available in FS, but you need some kind of 'interface' that can read the data and then switch the led's for you. inputting to the sim is easy, but as soon as you want to lift data out, you come to 'the first fence' which sadly is going to cost you.
i was thinking about this and i just cannot see anyway to 'simulate' the operation of the markers because you would need distance information from inside the sim just to make a workaround. that of course puts you back at the first fence.
understand totally what you say about not wanting to spend the dosh just to get 3 led's working, but think ahead. for example with a phidgets card and alan's fs2phidgets there could be more you could do like generator lights and low fuel warning etc. maybe worth a look..... sorry mate, not much help on this one....
regards from wales ... ian

Does FSUIPC have a setting for OMI markers?
Tony

steveeverson
02-04-2010, 02:07 PM
Hi Alex,
I used an LDR circuit for my PMDG master caution/ Fire warning- theyre about £5 to buy
I wonder if that would work if you have a spare space on the screen to hide the LDR's

Bit of an old video from the early days of my sim but might help

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH0EmK42xQY

Cheers
Steve

No Longer Active
02-04-2010, 03:53 PM
Thanks to all....

I could easily display marker lights on my screen, but just one problem....how the heck do Import the OMI marker panel into project magenta 'Black' IFR Panel.....

I would love to import gauges into PM but just dont know how to...

Ian.....if I save a few pennies then maybe phidgets will be a solution long term.....

Kind Regards.

Alex

No Longer Active
02-04-2010, 03:55 PM
Hi steve, where can I purchase this circuit prebuilt?, light sensors seem to be a very innotive way here, very cool...thanks

Hi Alex,
I used an LDR circuit for my PMDG master caution/ Fire warning- theyre about £5 to buy
I wonder if that would work if you have a spare space on the screen to hide the LDR's

Bit of an old video from the early days of my sim but might help

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH0EmK42xQY

Cheers
Steve

steveeverson
02-04-2010, 07:10 PM
Hi steve, where can I purchase this circuit prebuilt?, light sensors seem to be a very innotive way here, very cool...thanks

Hi Alex,
Im not sure where makes them but i might be able to knock up a couple and post them to you when I get a chance(im quite busy with work at the moment so could be a while). Otherwise if you have a soldering iron they dont take long to assemble- i can certainly send you some photos of mine so you can make sure the resistors etc go in the right places.
Steve

No Longer Active
02-05-2010, 05:14 AM
Hi Steve.

It appears that the circuit is pretty simple, would you have a pic or diagram of the circuit, maybe i could build one myself.....what do you think....

Many thanks.......

Alex

Bjarne Horsbøl
02-05-2010, 12:44 PM
Hello Alex
I follow this post with big interest.
Because I also stand in the middle of between..
Should I go for Phidgets with future possibilities or should I seek a simple solution for OMI lights ???

Google is your friend !!
I found this link:
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.scienceforschool.net/images/fullcircuits_clip_image002LDR.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.scienceforschool.net/fullcircuits.html&usg=__S199mO2SZuuLY8hjFAjUucxsS-Q=&h=500&w=700&sz=41&hl=da&start=21&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=DQtcKp-IeLW3HM:&tbnh=100&tbnw=140&prev=/images%3Fq%3DLDR%2Bcircuit%26hl%3Dda%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:da:IE-SearchBox%26rlz%3D1I7ADBR_da%26sa%3DX%26um%3D1

Scroll to Light Dependant Resistor : http://www.scienceforschool.net/fullcircuits.html#_Toc159050828

Regards Bjarne

No Longer Active
02-05-2010, 01:05 PM
Hi thanks for the very interesting links to diagrams etc.

As for which way to go Bjarn regarding marker lights, phidgets is the way to go if you wish to pay the price tag, but for just 3 LED's it a little expensive but would provide the right result.

The LED sensor idea is cool, and very cheap for just 3 LED's this is THE way to do it I am thinking, but again only if you are using an LCD to display gauges.

Phidgets does however provide plenty of extra room for expansion, but the Cessna sadly really does not getter bigger and advanced that what it is already, and I can only think of a limited amount of uses for LEDs in the Cessna, however if you are building the 172 and 182 and wants a warning panel then this would be perfect.

But for just markers, go for the sensors I recon....

Cheers.

Alex

steveeverson
02-05-2010, 05:11 PM
http://www.quasarelectronics.com/3079a-basic-light-dark-activated-switch.htm

Found their website(uk based)
the Kit is £8.95 unassembled and £13.95 assembled - price goes down quite a bit if you buy 5+

I also found one of the empty boards in a box at home and scanned it in case you wanted to make your own:

Hope that helps
Steve

ps I found that it was worth buying the boards as they have NO/NC relays and a trim adjustment for the LDR- ie to set the sensitivity which I found useful to get the Caution and warnings right