PDA

View Full Version : Rotary encoder missing detents

rafoito
02-03-2010, 05:46 AM
Hey all,

i wired some rotary encoder to my BU0836X. It all works fine (as it seems).

When i rotate the encoder fast, it misses a lot of detents when passing the information to MSFSX.

I searched the forum and seen a work arround by installing a interface app (passing turning to a key).

Are my encoders having any sort of problem. Have you crossed this problem and how did you solve it?

Thanks,

Bye all

rafoito
02-13-2010, 12:24 PM
Anyone can help me?

Matt Olieman
02-13-2010, 12:42 PM
I could be wrong about this, and I'm sure someone will correct me if so :) :) :)

I think there are limitations to how fast you can turn the rotary encoder, depending on your interface. I've even noticed the same experience on Plug and Play units, it varies.

rafoito
02-13-2010, 12:55 PM
Hi there and thanks for your answer.

So the problem may be in the encoder itself? or in the leo bodnars card?

Thanks,

Matt Olieman
02-13-2010, 04:46 PM
Hi there and thanks for your answer.

So the problem may be in the encoder itself? or in the leo bodnars card?

Thanks,

It's not necessarily a problem, just the limitations of the interface. Could be your expectations are higher then what would be considered normal in the flight sim building world :) :) :)

Just like I mentioned before, I notice the same thing with high end modules, but what may be fast for me may be slow for you or vise versa ...... I just don't recall what the acceptable rate is and not sure if it's by number of clicks per seconds or rotations per second or what ever, but there are limitations, ..... I think :)

Steve A
02-13-2010, 05:18 PM
I may be wrong too here but i beleive when eddie( Oal) came to visit me he commented that my mcp (opencockpits) was very different to his high end one, as he had to turn the rotary's much slower than his own. I remember he said it had something to do with "key presses" Having to turn slower doesn't bother me one bit, i just take it as they are.

Bjarne Horsbøl
02-14-2010, 07:35 AM
Hello
I have the same problem with my BU0836X.
It must be limitations of the interface because when i use a Goflight module, slow and fast dialing works very good.
I can live with it !! but it takes a lot of time to turn the heading indicator from 090 to 270.
Would like to hear from builders using other interfaces (like opencockpit ect.ect.) do you have problems dialing fast ?

regards
Bjarne

iwik
02-14-2010, 01:53 PM
Bjarne,
Im not at my FS pc but there is a setting in FSUIPC for FAST incrementing and decrementing the Heading Bug.I tried this a while back and i could chnge headings quickly.
Hope this may help.I also heard that Goflight module work better than the Buo836 modules.Personally i have no trouble with them.Goflight modules are so much more expensive.
Les

Bjarne Horsbøl
02-15-2010, 03:27 PM
Hello Les !
Thank you for your reply !!

I know FSUIPC gives you the choice of Hdg Bug inc or Hdg bug inc. fast !

If you choose Hdg Bug inc.... for your assignment ....you get a 1 degree inc.
If you choose Hdg bug inc. fast ...for your assignment .....you get a 10 degree inc.
You can live with 1 degree inc.
But not with 10 degree inc.

Now !!!

If you check in FSUIPC what happens when you turn af dial on a Goflight module:
If you turn slow.. FSUIPC recognize it as button ( 1) Hdg Bug inc
If you turn fast... FSUIPC recognize it as button ( 2) Hdg Bug inc fast
Thats why a Goflight module works perfect !

With a BU0836X. module you only can assign either .. Hdg Bug inc .. or .. Hdg Bug inc fast.. for a turn.

This is not an issue of what is more expensive.. but only how things works.

Best regards
Bjarne

Steve1970
02-15-2010, 06:55 PM
Hi

Is this problem also the case if using open cockpits card and SIOC. I know that in SIOC one can define an accelerate factor for rotaries but I have not tested it yet?

Thanks
Steve

flatlandpilot
02-15-2010, 07:54 PM
I dont have speed problems when using OC cards with type gray rotary encoders.

rafoito
02-16-2010, 05:53 PM
Thanks all you guys for inputs.

Starting to build me a cockpit and the questions just start jumping... is this normal? am i doing it the right way...

Great having your help.