PDA

View Full Version : Eyefinity and FSX

litebkt
01-22-2010, 03:17 PM
I have eyefinity working with X-plane but I'd like to get it working with FSX. I've seen pictures in other forums where I'm not a member of people using this technology with FSX but I sure can't get it to work.

FSX only allows a screen display (at least in my set up) of a maximum of 1920X1200. And since I have three of these monitors running on an ATI 5850, my screen resolution is triple that.

Does anyone know how to configure FSX to utilize a wide display? This is driving me nuts! I love FSX for all the tutorials and extras and I really want to use it for a long time before I start playing with X-Plane.

Michelle

RhodeNet
02-24-2010, 09:22 AM
Hi Michelle,
I had the same problem, but then went into FSX settings and took a closer look at the resolution, and there is was, staring me in the face - 5760 X 1080 x32. Make sure you make a group for the three monitors, which I suspect you have probably already done. The only thing I would like to be able to do, is zoom out a bit more. I don't know how to adjust camera settings in FSX, perhaps someone can help here?
Thanks

litebkt
02-24-2010, 01:14 PM
Hi Michelle,
I had the same problem, but then went into FSX settings and took a closer look at the resolution, and there is was, staring me in the face - 5760 X 1080 x32. Make sure you make a group for the three monitors, which I suspect you have probably already done. The only thing I would like to be able to do, is zoom out a bit more. I don't know how to adjust camera settings in FSX, perhaps someone can help here?
Thanks

I'm getting this thing nailed down. Check out this thread where we are discussing this very topic:

http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/showthread.php?17262-new-hardware-alternative-to-Matrox-TH2GO&p=99986#post99986

twisted8 helped me out. The thing you need to do is set the the "wideview" option in the fsx.cfg file. The details are in the thread.

That resolution thing was really getting me upset. Why should a single guage fill the entire screen? Well, it's really too bad that the program doesn't use the standard Microsoft help engine so we could more easily find out these little details without having to go to the net and bug other people. But... on the other hand, it is fun to share with other enthusiasts.

Michelle

litebkt
02-24-2010, 01:18 PM
Oh, and one other thing.... I haven't been able to display a 2D cockpit in the Eyefinity setup. I'm not sure why... but I'll be using external glass cockpits and some GoFlight modules, so all I'll be looking at in the 2D mode is looking outside the windows. And that does work. I still haven't figured out the exact key sequence to get there but it is some combination of hitting the red button of my controller, the A, S, and F10 keys. Isn't learning fun?

This is just so darned cool! I'm loving a new project. I just hope my astronomy doesn't suffer for it.

Oh and on that subject... Microsoft's WorldWideTelescope (free FWIW) is awesome in an Eyefinity setup..... just a little slow.

Michelle

ECMO1
02-28-2010, 03:48 PM
Greatings everyone. I just started this Win-7 (64bit), Eyefinity, FSX workup and found this forum while searching for the same answers you are. Like everyone else, I could use some help, too. Here's where I am so far: I`m running (3)ViewSonic VA2323WM monitors in a 1X3 Eyefinity configuration with my XFX Radeon 5870 and (1) ViewSonic N2750W on my XFX Radeon 5770. In windows and according to Catayist (v10.2) this configuration works fine. However, when I attempt to run FSX (with Acceleration installed) I can get the 1x3 (on 5870) to run and display fine. When I try to place a view/window onto the N2750W (via 5770) the image will not display and more often than not, locks the program. I don`t believe it`s an ATI/Eyefinity issue. More likely a FSX/DirectX issue. But, just in case: is there any known issue with running a set-up like this in conjunction with eyefinity? Do I need to use a second 5870 instead of the 5770? I have 3 wide accross my desk and the 4th monitor on top for spot views, overhead panel views, etc. Meanwhile, I've gotten frustrated with FSX and switched to X-Plane to see if that will do what I want. Thanks in advance.

RhodeNet
02-28-2010, 07:46 PM
Hi ECM01

There is another thread going on that is newer thatn this one. I want to do exactly what you are doing, with a 4970 as the for the guages. Have not had chance to do it yet, but there is another member in this thread that is doing is succesfully. Most of the discussion has moved to this thread:
http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/showthread.php?17262-new-hardware-alternative-to-Matrox-TH2GO&goto=newpost

ECMO1
02-28-2010, 07:54 PM
Hi ECM01

There is another thread going on that is newer thatn this one. I want to do exactly what you are doing, with a 4970 as the for the guages. Have not had chance to do it yet, but there is another member in this thread that is doing is succesfully. Most of the discussion has moved to this thread:
http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/showthread.php?17262-new-hardware-alternative-to-Matrox-TH2GO&goto=newpost

Thanks for the redirect. Good luck with your setup. I'll catch up with you on the other thread.

litebkt
03-01-2010, 04:32 PM
More likely a FSX/DirectX issue. But, just in case: is there any known issue with running a set-up like this in conjunction with eyefinity?

You can turn off DirectX in the settings panel (the same place where you set resolution). I installed an ATI 5670 card with my 4850 card in the same machine and I can display on all of my 5 monitors. The three big 25.5" displays on the 4850 and the other two monitors are on the 5670. However, FSX does not run correctly in this setup even though all the standard windows programs run fine.

Now this is interesting. With two large monitors plugged in to the ATI 4850 DVI ports only (none connected to the 5670), FSX's 2D panels will not display and the mouse pointer is going nuts. If I plug any two monitors into the 5760 (none connected to the 4850) with an eyefinity setup, everything works. I thought it might be something wrong with my motherboard PCIE slots, so I switched the cards and repeated the same test with the same results. Note that I did not use the DisplayPort in this test.

I am returning the 4850 card today... I hope. It's my last day of the 30 day return policy with Newegg. I don't know that I'll get a replacement that works, but it will give me some more time to try and figure out what the unerlying problem truly is.

Michelle