PDA

View Full Version : CNC made Flapgauge

Wendy
01-21-2010, 03:54 PM
Just wanted to show you my progress on a flapgauge that I'm working on. It is fully made with my CNC. I have made a picture without the transparent plexi cover because the light reflected to much.

Regards, Wendy

http://www.querit.eu/FS/FlapGauge_Wijzerplaat.jpg

Steve A
01-21-2010, 04:37 PM
Outstanding attention to detail Wendy, as with all your work So far.

Matt Olieman
01-21-2010, 05:08 PM
Amazing work Wendy... you're fantastic!!!! :) :) :)

David Withers
01-22-2010, 07:51 AM
Wendy, what kind of cnc do you have? did you buy the rails and motors etc and build yourself..or did you get an off the shelf one?

Wendy
01-22-2010, 10:36 AM
Hi David,

I have purchased a Colinbus selfbuild package. So it is a factory build machine but you have to assemble it yourself. Because the router was a Ferm I have changed it in a Kress 1050 and changed the mounting of the router to. Kress and mounting plate are available via www.damencnc.be

Regards, Wendy

mondo50m
01-27-2010, 09:26 AM
Nice job. How about putting the DXF file into the file library for the rest of us?

Milt

BABA767
02-23-2010, 08:46 AM
Excellent work Wendy!!
Do you have mount stepper motor for gauge?...it's possible see a pic from rear?

regards, Valerio

Wendy
02-23-2010, 09:31 AM
Hey Valerio,

It is not finished yet but I'll show you a picture like it is now. I also include a picture from the gears that I have made. The gauge will be driven by 2 servo's that I'm going to connect to a phidget servo board.

Regards, Wendy

http://www.querit.eu/FS/Engraving/Flapgauge_back.jpg

http://www.querit.eu/FS/Engraving/Gears_FlapGauge.jpg

BABA767
02-23-2010, 12:28 PM
Well done!
Very clever..I'll follow your progress on this gauge..;-)

wannabeaflyer
02-24-2010, 05:42 PM
Hey Valerio,

It is not finished yet but I'll show you a picture like it is now. I also include a picture from the gears that I have made. The gauge will be driven by 2 servo's that I'm going to connect to a phidget servo board.

Regards, Wendy

http://www.querit.eu/FS/Engraving/Flapgauge_back.jpg

http://www.querit.eu/FS/Engraving/Gears_FlapGauge.jpg

Dont You just love these machines i see your know making your own gears :-) how awesome is that , you know im gonna ask which bit you used to make such small gears and have you tried a Free program called i belive geardxf , nice work lady

Wendy
02-25-2010, 03:21 AM
The gears are made with a 1 mm. endmil and with Involute software.

Regards, Wendy

maliga00
02-25-2010, 06:02 AM
Nice works Wendy!!!, could you tell us the process of engraving, per example:

1- Soft used in art design
2- Soft and operation toolpaths for the diferent jobs.
3- Tools used.
4--Soft used in G-code (example, mach3, kcam, etc)

I belive that all you could tell us , will be a great advice for our futures development and contribute to build a "database" to consult.
Thanks in advance
Regards
Alberto

Wendy
02-25-2010, 11:00 AM
Hey Alberto,

I do all my drawing in cad software, also the text for engraving. If you put text in autocad then you have to explode the text so that it is not text anymore but simple lines.

The dxf drawing is loaded into Rams where I make the toolpaths. Holes and everything that have to be cut away are done first with "Profile" and "Internal" or "External". For acryl I only use a Z-axis increment of 0.2 mm for each round and the router at almost the highest speed possible. For 2 mm. it has to do 10 rounds. If some parts of the panel have to be flattened then this is done with "Spiral". I use "Spiral" also for all engaving together with "Slot" for simple lines.
For engraving the depth is set to 0.03 mm only and the Z-axes position is tested by engraving (if possible) on some part of the panel that will be cut away afterwards or close to a rotary hole or something like that. So I can visually see that the engraving is good or adjust the Z-axes. After that I engrave with the test position of the Z-axis minus 0.03 mm. If it is not good from the first round then I lower the Z-axis for the next round with + 0.01mm. All engraving is done letter per letter. So the engraving is never deep and you can just feel it.

The toolpaths created in Rams are imported in my CNC and I'm ready for milling or engraving.

Hope this short explanation helps you,

Best regards, Wendy

wannabeaflyer
02-25-2010, 03:10 PM
Hey Alberto,

I do all my drawing in cad software, also the text for engraving. If you put text in autocad then you have to explode the text so that it is not text anymore but simple lines.

The dxf drawing is loaded into Rams where I make the toolpaths. Holes and everything that have to be cut away are done first with "Profile" and "Internal" or "External". For acryl I only use a Z-axis increment of 0.2 mm for each round and the router at almost the highest speed possible. For 2 mm. it has to do 10 rounds. If some parts of the panel have to be flattened then this is done with "Spiral". I use "Spiral" also for all engaving together with "Slot" for simple lines.
For engraving the depth is set to 0.03 mm only and the Z-axes position is tested by engraving (if possible) on some part of the panel that will be cut away afterwards or close to a rotary hole or something like that. So I can visually see that the engraving is good or adjust the Z-axes. After that I engrave with the test position of the Z-axis minus 0.03 mm. If it is not good from the first round then I lower the Z-axis for the next round with + 0.01mm. All engraving is done letter per letter. So the engraving is never deep and you can just feel it.

The toolpaths created in Rams are imported in my CNC and I'm ready for milling or engraving.

Hope this short explanation helps you,

Best regards, Wendy

Hi Guys n Gals Not to divert from wendys post but i use Vectric CUT2D, and even though im nowhere near getting the full use of it (still learning about the whole cnc Lark ) i can honestly say ( im a customer not sales rep ;-) ) that other than free software the CUT2D software has turned out to be execllent bang for bucks value , very easy to use and for my current projects seems it will do all i need , i also use a Free'ish program called DIPTRACE for my PCB work ( isolation routing ) and again its another package that allows relative Noobs to jump in and see their efforts really quick. have autocad inventor as my main cad program and am trying out numerous utilities like GearDXF for to allow me to follow the stuff you guys are doing here, so pretty much have a nice suite of programs which should given time, allow me to contribute something back .. have a look at my posting later for my Rotary table attachment for my CNC router ( will start under a new Heading ) Now back to wendys thread :-)

maliga00
02-25-2010, 08:02 PM
Thank you very much. your suggestions are very valuable for my future works.!!!
Regards
Alberto

maliga00
10-04-2011, 05:35 PM
Hi Wendy, wich model of Cnc did you buy?, what working area do you have in the cnc?
Best regards
Alberto

Wendy
10-05-2011, 02:10 AM
Hey Alberto,

My machine is a Colinbus Profiler, you can see it here. Working area is about 32 mm x 35 mm.
http://www.colinbus.com/en/toebeh_profiler_en.htm

You have to assemble it yourself, not that difficult. After completing and testing I have made a few changes. Mounted a new Z-as support for a Kress and made an engraving nose. The new support for the Kress and the Kress was giving much better results. You can see the changes on my website http://www.flightsimparts.eu/Simulator_CNC.html

Regards, Wendy

maliga00
10-05-2011, 08:39 AM
Thanks Wendy! Nice works. Did you mean 320mm x 350 mm, right ?
Regards
Alberto

Wendy
10-05-2011, 04:14 PM
:) Oh, small mistake. Yes of course 320 mm. x 350 mm. otherwise it would be a very very small cnc.

Regards, Wendy

maliga00
10-06-2011, 11:30 AM
Thanks Wendy!
Regards:D