PDA

View Full Version : Projected gauges AND rotary

padus71
01-04-2010, 06:12 PM
Hi to all people,

i've a little question: it is possible to build a mix simpit using a software to project gauges on a lcd monitor AND also have the rotary knob to adjust some gauges like altimeter, heading, vor...
It would be and interesting mix between economic way to realize panel (i.e. lcd projected ones) and "manual" feeling adjusting the knobs.

I think we have to consider the way to hide the knob (is it an encoder..?).

These considerations after seeing a VRInsight product, I think to attach a pic.

Thanking in advance,

Marco, Italy

Steve1970
01-04-2010, 06:31 PM
Hi

Yes this is possible.

You need-

rotary encoders, google CTS288 2-bit binary, these work well (16 detent)
Leo Bodnar has an interface card BU0836X, very easy to install and wire (he also sells encoders).

Some MDF with holes cut in or eve better a laser cut sheet metal panel from a local fabrication company, you can sketch your design out on a free cad program

FSUIPC from Peter Dowson for interfacing.
WIDE FS if you wish to run gauges on another computer to MSFS.

for the gauges-

Google Project Magenta GAIFR gauges - the best, but quite expensive, however they do give you a registered copy of WideFS / FSUIPC
or
PEIX Software
or
FSXpand

I am using Project magenta, with a 19" LCD monitor from EBAY for £30

Good Luck.

Steve

padus71
01-04-2010, 06:41 PM
Hi Steve,

thank you for your answer...
Before choosing the software, my doubt is:
how can i put the encoders on the mdf or alluminum panel if there is a monitor behind...? what's about the measures..?:shock:

Steve1970
01-04-2010, 07:02 PM
Hi,

The encoders are about 14mm deep and screw to your panel, so the body of the encoders sit between the main panel and the screen.

This means that there will be a gap between the screen and the front panel the same as the VR Insight Pro pit picture you posted.

I dont think this is a big problem because you will be sitting directly in front of the panel.

you need to then make some gauge rings, to fit in the holes to finish between the gap. To do this Alex suggested using plastic party cups with a slight rim on top, and some black paint. This what I intend to do.

Regards
Steve.

No Longer Active
01-04-2010, 07:03 PM
You can sit your encoders into the panel if the wood is thick enough, just dig out a 4mm square hole into a 6mm instrument panel and sit the encoder in the hole, now just drill a small hole through the remaining 2mm to pass the encoder shaft through. Now your LCD monitor will sit 'NEARLY' flush against the panel with the encoder in place, just rememer to bend pins on encoder flat when your wire it.

There will be a small gap!

This is the only way unless your build a separate encoder panel specifically for OBS encoders only (ie ALT, AH)

padus71
01-04-2010, 07:14 PM
Wowww! 2 answers in 2 minutes!:lol::lol::lol:

Thankyou to Alex Jay, also....

Now I can go to sleep very happy, because I know it's possibile to make this way!!

But, as an italian proverb says..." between saying and doing, there's is the whole sea...!"
Nearest english version may be "
tra il dire e il fare c'è di mezzo il mare (Proverbio) it's easier said than done "

I'll keep all of you informed about my cockpit news..

bye
Marco

No Longer Active
01-04-2010, 07:16 PM
The best way in my view is to make an encoder panel in your radio stack as pictured, it looks neat and tidy and does the job nicely. You can assign what the heck you want to these encoders whether it be OBS knobs or just for free-assigning!

http://alexpilot.50g.com/encopanel.jpg

http://simkits.com/pictures/6%20Rotary%20250.jpg

http://simkits.com/product.php?prodid=554

This is the simkits panel, but just make your own, (was for illustration purposes only!)

Good luck and keep us posted!

Thanks.

Alex

Steve1970
01-04-2010, 07:43 PM
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=CT3001-ND

These encoders are just 10mm deep and available without mechanical detents.

They should also be compatible with open cockpits card to support acceleration. As far as I know Leo Bodnars card does not have acceleration functionality.

Acceleration means that when you turn the knob fast, the hdg bug for example, accelerates. Without acceleration you have to turn the encoders quite slowly and to displace the bug 180 degrees would take a long time, well quite long anyway.

Doon1
01-04-2010, 09:54 PM
Another option is to use micro switches over the monitor and momentary bi-directional dials to the side of the monitor. Wire everything to a keyboard ic card and you have a panel for under $75 bucks. It may even look something like this.
I'm still working on the full page stickers that will be the radio faceplate and such but everything works.
John

colt45
01-05-2010, 01:01 PM
This is the type of set up I am working towards and have a couple of questions for the experts

Steve1970 - are there knobs available for the rotary encoders you reference from Digikey?

Doon - how do you get your gauges in the MIP to fill the entire lower monitor in your set up? Are you using stock gauges/panel from FS or an add on such as Project Magenta or FSXpand?

Thanks guys, Dave

Steve1970
01-05-2010, 04:42 PM
The shaft size is 1/4" or 6.35mm, this is pretty standard and you should get some knobs from Newark, I think they are the US branch of Farnells where I got mine. They have a search filter on the website so you can browse through the knobs according to your parameters

Hope this helps.
Steve

Doon1
01-05-2010, 09:02 PM
Hiya Colt,
I started with a mix of the standard minipanel gauges and the freeware Panelmania gauges. Then I resized and positioned them by modifying the panel.cfg file. It's very simple. yet after I made them bigger I found that gauges became very "fuzzy". So I started redrawing the gauges at a higher resolution (246x246 pixels) using a freeware paint program. This required more effort as I had to open the gauge .XML file and reposition all of the components of the gauges. So far I"ve finished the Heading, Directional gyro, Altimeter, and Vertical Speed gauges. The learning curve was pretty steep but the results are proving the effort is worth it.
Hope this helps.
John

Doon1
01-06-2010, 10:17 PM
Darn, I ment to add a couple of pics for ya Colt. The last one is a Directional Gyro/VOR1 combo. Not really practical but a fun programming exercise.
John

colt45
01-08-2010, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the pictures John. I am debating my next step with my set up. I can't seem to maintain a stable system utilizing dual pci-e garaphics cards in one computer (crossed fingers as it is working at this moment). This allows me to connect one monitor and one PSOne scren acting as my GPS to card #1 and a second monitor to card #2. I have just purchased a Triplehead2Go and about to bite the bullet for the 3 monitors. These would replace the single monitor on card #1 and be used for outside view with monitor on card #2 being set up for my panel. Hence my question on how you set up your panel to show the instruments.

If I can't get this set up stabilized then I think I will add a currently unused old desktop in via a network. In that case I will need to explore Project Magenta and FSXpand to set up the panle on the second computer.

Cheers, Dave