PDA

View Full Version : XPNDR - Transponder

shearder
01-02-2010, 04:00 AM
Hi all

I am basically redesigning my NAV panels (drill/hole placements) and I was wondering, does anyone actually use the XPNDR panel? Is it worth shelling out for?

It's ok to have a fake but is it actually used and where? Online flying?

Thanks in advance.

john van berkel
01-02-2010, 04:33 AM
hi
the transponder is indeed in use with online flying as a matter of fact you need to have one otherwise you will be disregarded on the network.
but you can use the transponder that comes with the software from vatsim and IVAO
regards john

shearder
01-02-2010, 09:04 AM
Thanks John. Yes I imagined as much but I was wondering if it is really worth building one that works because I don't fly that much online - yet i guess - so i won't put too much effort into one LOL

Thanks again.

sacad
01-03-2010, 10:20 PM
fs in multi player does not use xponder in identifying traffic + in general xponder code is an essential part of clearance while in fs it has no effect at all ....
in my sim ,,i did not build it

PDT 200
01-03-2010, 11:44 PM
You could always look at a GoFlight GF166. It can be your com radio and with the push of a button it can double as a transponder. Set your squawk code and then return to com mode and your done.
Regards,
Brian

shearder
01-04-2010, 01:28 AM
Thanks sacad and PDT200. I am using FSBUS electronics so I will leave the XPNDR out of my build. For "aesthetics" it is nice to have but for cost it is really a waste :)

I will leave it out hehe... if i need it a software solution will be enough.

jainscott
01-08-2010, 04:48 AM
Thanks sacad and PDT200. I am using FSBUS electronics so I will leave the XPNDR out of my build. For "aesthetics" it is nice to have but for cost it is really a waste :)

I will leave it out hehe... if i need it a software solution will be enough.

Hi
Wats the Difference between FSBUS and XPNDR???

shearder
01-08-2010, 04:57 AM
Hi
Wats the Difference between FSBUS and XPNDR???

FSBUS is a hardware based interface that allows inputs to MSFS. It is freely available in terms of designs and you build it yourself and then program how it works with your sim. This is particularly if you are building a cockpit or some hardware controls "i.e. joystick/inputs etc).

SO for example my MCP is FSBUS based - i built the circuit boards and MCP itself - not shop bought.

Ah but to answer your question the XPNDR is the Transponder which puts out a signal which gives your AC'c position