PDA

View Full Version : I want to replace a couple of "slaughtered keyboards"

Per Alm
12-29-2009, 03:12 PM
Hello!
I need a simple interfacing method for two of my client computers and one to the server computer. Today we use slaughtered keyboards for this and it works fine mostly but sometimes one or two connected buttons loose contact and this occur at the "keyboard-cable junction". I don't want to spend more money on simboards and buy simboards for for all three computers.

I need this arrangement to be able to change whats displayed on the PMRJ ND screen - VOR, FIX, NDB, ARPRT etc. In this setup the Capt and FO ND displays are partially separated from each other and it gives a feel of having two separate systems, eg the Capt side might show airports and VORs on the ND display while on the FO side NDBs are shown.

I'd like to remove the slughtered keyboards and I need something else for interfacing. Something more stable!
Is Hagstroem keyboards a solution??
Any other possible solution??

Regards

Per Alm

XOrionFE
12-29-2009, 10:22 PM
Per,

I have the Hagstrom KE-108. It is wonderful and works great. You can do what you want with it. You would assign a free keystoke to each of those functions via FSUIPC. Then in the Hagstrom you assign an input that keystroke combination. Thats it. Pretty simple. I love the Hagstrom cards. They are pretty simple to use.

If you want I could probably test something specific for you as I also own PMRJ. I would just have to fire up a couple computers.

Regards,
Scott

Per Alm
12-30-2009, 04:50 AM
Per,

I have the Hagstrom KE-108. It is wonderful and works great. You can do what you want with it. You would assign a free keystoke to each of those functions via FSUIPC. Then in the Hagstrom you assign an input that keystroke combination. Thats it. Pretty simple. I love the Hagstrom cards. They are pretty simple to use.

If you want I could probably test something specific for you as I also own PMRJ. I would just have to fire up a couple computers.

Regards,
Scott

Thank you Scott for your answer. I will look into it....however I have one question->

But is this possible to do on the client computers. I only have the PMRJ software and WideFS installed on them. No FS or FSUIPC. The keystrokes I need are very basic :mrgreen: just 1, 2, 3 and 4 which are the PM inputs for the VOR, Waypoint, Airport and NDB.

XOrionFE
12-30-2009, 08:41 AM
You could put the Hagstrom board on a client pc and use if for those keystrokes yes. But that would mean a board on each pc running the ND. I think the better way is to put the board on your main fsx installed PC and use the FSUIPC offsets there to control the ND. There are specific offsets included by PM in FSUIPC for those functions. The commands are sent from the Hagstrom board via the main PC and FSUIPC over to the WideFS client and onto the PMRJ ND display. In this way you control all of the PM stuff from the central install of FSUIPC....not from their local keyboards. You could also do the same thing using other cards such as the Bodnar board the only difference being that these make joystick button inputs in fsuipc rather than keystrokes but you can still map them to the appropriate PM offsets in FSUIPC.

Scott

Per Alm
12-30-2009, 12:45 PM
Thank you for your respone.

Now I know a lot more now about the different ways to approach this problem....thanks!!!

Regards