View Full Version : phidgets i/o

spiro
12-20-2009, 04:11 PM
hi all
i was looking at i/o boards and am a bite mixed up with phidget
lets say i whant to interface light switches and all of most on a cockpit exept
7 segment because i have plug and play moduels i whant mainly
switched (lights,gear,flaps,spoilers.)and out put led like warning and so on
if i were to buy phidget boards do i need softwere like PM or can i do it with FSUIPC? do i need programming skills or is it strait forward with its own softwere
can some one explain

i mean if i get the phidget i/o boards and have all my switches power supply and a registed copy of FSUIPC can it be done??
kind regards

ANDYSMITH
12-21-2009, 12:26 PM
Good day, here is my take on this, I have no PM or any other expensive software, just FSX and some cheap add ons, FSUIPC (registered) is a must have for your setup. Then you should get "FS2Phidgets" by Alan Dyer, also a "must have" in my opinion. FS2P will talk to FSX via the "wideserver and wideclient" that come with FSUIPC so you can have your phidgets cards on another PC if you want. then you have choices in the I/O cards. if you want switches and rotary encoders you do not need to use phidgets, you can use any joystick interface to assign switches. I use Leo's 832X card(s) because they are cheap and give you 32 inputs, windows will see the card with no drivers needed, there is a utility that you need for encoders but it is free and simple as well. Then I use a phidget "LED64" card for all indicator lights. this works real good for a basic setup. The next step would be to use a phidget 0/16/16 card that gives you 16 inputs and 16 outputs. the advantage there is that you can assign a button for a light test.(the test button and the lights need to both be on a phidgets card for this) It's pretty cool to push a test button and see your whole overhead light up (made my day). the test feature will work with all attached phidgets cards meaning that your test botton on the 0/16/16 card will also light up the led64 card as well. the phidgets software is real easy to set up, just pull down a menu and pick what you want. And when your ready, the phidget servo card will drive most guages.
I feel like i am rambling on so ask away, I will help any way I can....Andy

spiro
12-21-2009, 01:49 PM
thanks Andy
i have a registed copy of FSUIPC using win7 64 bit and fsx
i decided to go with phidget cards as i can find them here in greece
easy and i get a discount on them;)

As for leos card with all the inputs i looks nice but i have tryed to contact
him a coupel of times but no answer he must be bussiey

any way i have started to build a full sim and whant it one day to work 100%
so i decided to go with somthing that has technical support and can allways find
it

for startes i whant to make a light panel,apu start,gear up/down and work som leds like warnnings and stuff experiment with the 0/16/16
at the moment i am using saiteks switch panel it works ok but i would like to be able to control it more what i really whant to do is asighn swiutches and out leds and if i whant to expand just get more of the same

i dont realy whant to use all diffrent types of i/o bords and mix it all up !!!!
so can you tell me am i thinking right of using phidget for inputs and out puts
i read some were that they are the most relyable is that true??
regards

ptrebian
12-21-2009, 11:39 PM
Spiro and Andy:

I am new to the setup of phidgets. After reading this thread I am wondering if it is possible to setup phidgets on a single PC with FSX on it. I have FS2Phidgets 4.3.21, FSVariable4.3.15 in the right location, FSUIPC 4.53 in place running, FSX running, and the phidgets 2.16 library installed and the Phidgets servcie running. I can see the phigets, but FS2Phidgets does not see FSX. I have another thread in the user forum "Help - I can't get the red out". I am wondering from this thread, Andy mentions FSP talks to FSUIPC/FSX via wideserve/wideclient. Will I need to setup a client server setup with wideserver/wideclient locally? Can I get FSP to talk to FSX/FSUIPC without the wideserver/wideclient setup? I know wideserver and wideclient is to be used to connect remote PCs to a master FSX setup.

The reason I went with phidgets are the small footprint the inputs will give me for switches and controls. My goal is a portable basic flight control setup for my laptop. I have started with the mini joystick to see if that works, and if so, I will expand to other cockpit phidget mini controls for a single engine airplane setup.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Paul

CocnutAir
12-22-2009, 12:02 PM
Only need wideserver-client for remote setups. If running an FSUIPC application on same machine FSUIPC needs to be set up as per FSUIPC documentation for running an application on the same machine. Its all in the FSUIPC documenation.

ptrebian
12-22-2009, 11:30 PM
Alan,

Thanks for the reply. I will check out the FSUIPC documentation for your direction for me. I knew it was something simple. All I needed was a push int he right direction.

I will let you know how it goes.

BTW, you program is very nice, graphic and easy to follow. I knew that the problem was mostl likely something I had missed.

Now to the fix.

Paul

spiro
12-25-2009, 05:19 PM
Hello merry xmas to all
it all sounds like a nother languege to me:(:(:(
i got my first o/16/16 but need alitel step buy step help how to
get it running ,what to download,and how to ajust FSUIPC
the connection part with switches is easy i under stand that but
my qestion is how do i get it working with fsx?
regards

CocnutAir
12-26-2009, 03:09 AM
Have you:
(a) Dowloaded FSUIPC
(b) Installed FSUIPC
(c) Obtained FSUIPC registration key

spiro
12-26-2009, 03:24 AM
hello
yes i have FSUIPC registed 4.53
regards

CocnutAir
12-26-2009, 12:57 PM
Have a look at your WideServer.log
See if server is being detected.

CocnutAir
12-26-2009, 01:06 PM
Paul and Spiro,

Just to reiterate regarding FSUIC. If you are running apps on same machine, FSUIPC and Wideserver will need to be installed and configured.
Would also recommend taking a stroll over to Peter Dowson's forum.

The rest of you,
Do we have anybody running FSX with FS2Ph out there?

Regards,
Alan

Cyberklutz
12-28-2009, 08:46 AM
Coiuld someone please explain to me "in baby steps" where this illusive file is for download. (and what version is the "new" version)

ANDYSMITH
12-28-2009, 01:32 PM
Hi Alan, I use FS2Ph with FSX. I use the 8-servo card to run my throttles and an 0/16/16 card to turn on and off the power to the servos and to run a 12 volt light for the park brake. I also have servoes set up for elevator trim, flaps and spioler handle, not yet mounted. And a led64 card for all annunciators on the main panel. I have also made my own flap transit and flap extended lights by using 2 servoes and FS2Ph. the servoes are mounted facing each other with a cam wheel on one and a micro switch on the other. with the servoes set for the flap handle on one and the flap position on the other. So if the flap servoes agree then the "EXTENDED" light is on, if the handle and the flaps are not in agreement then the micro switch is depressed and the "TRANSIT" light is on. And FS2PH turns the light(s) off when both are in the full retract position.

Love your software...Andy

spiro
12-28-2009, 03:18 PM
hello guys
i instaled the softwere for windows 64bit from the site (i am using win7)
i connected my 0/16/16
i rthen run the softwere and on the test page when i klick an output
the board dose light up so i belive up to know everything is ok:D

know i see that it says to use a 9v power supplyto trigger the board with the NEGATIVE i under stand that but what i whant to ask is

1. do i have to use 9v or can i use 5v or 12v ????i have these power supplys
from an old pc

2. i looked on peters site but i did not understsnd much:-( how do i get it to work with fsuipc?????????????

if some one can explane step by step just how i can get 1 on/off switch
working and lighting up 1 out put with pidgets softwere/fsuipc/fsx
lets say parking brake or gear up i really need it an will apreshiate it
regards

CocnutAir
12-28-2009, 04:02 PM
Die meneer van Joburg,

I think you meant elusive - "hard to find or catch" e.g Naas Botha was elusive when he had posession of the ball.
Illusive means illusionary e.g DirecTV's free offers are usually illusive.

Which elusive application are you looking for: Phidgets, FSUIPC or FS2Phidget?

Regards,
Alan.

spiro
12-29-2009, 06:44 AM
hello
i did not understand the above reply???
i have
1 phidgets 2.1 softwere 64bit
2 FSUIPC
3 FSX
i get the phidgets board working with the softwere but how do i get to work in fsx with FSUIPC
regards

capetonian
12-29-2009, 06:52 AM
I think you meant elusive - "hard to find or catch" e.g Naas Botha was elusive when he had posession of the ball.

Jisslike , .. that's a kick down memory lane.

CocnutAir
12-29-2009, 03:04 PM
Spiro,

Reply was not directed to you.
There are now 3 people intertwined on this thread.

Regards,
Alan

CocnutAir
12-29-2009, 03:13 PM
Spiro,

Did you look at the Wideserver log as I recommeded?
What did it list?

I have not run Phidgets with FSX.
Will have to defer to expertise of someone like Andy.

Regards,
Alan.

spiro
12-29-2009, 03:48 PM
dear Andy
i dont whant to sound stupid but were do i go to see that log????

as for widefs i have got a registed coppy but it will not let me install

regards

ANDYSMITH
12-29-2009, 07:58 PM
Spiro,
I have never looked for the log file.... I will check tonight and see where it is.

Andy

CocnutAir
12-29-2009, 10:24 PM
It is where you installed FSUIPC/Wideserver, as I recall.
The MS-FS Modules folder in pre-FSX versions.

Spiro, which folder did you install FSUIPC-WideFS in?

Alan.

ptrebian
12-30-2009, 01:34 AM
Paul and Spiro,

Just to reiterate regarding FSUIC. If you are running apps on same machine, FSUIPC and Wideserver will need to be installed and configured.
Would also recommend taking a stroll over to Peter Dowson's forum.

The rest of you,
Do we have anybody running FSX with FS2Ph out there?

Regards,
Alan

Alan,

Thanks.... You are right. FSUIPC needs to be configured. :)

I do have other hardware and software running on the same machine using MSFS2004 and FSUIPC 3.930. All the other items work nicely. I am trying to see if I can get help from Peter D on the configuration of FSUIPC to see FS2Phidgets application. So far no luck on getting that help from his forums. I will keep on trying and looking on my own to figure out the settings required for FSUIPC. Once I get it figured out I may make a video and an outline/list of what to look for and what to change. I am faculty for graduate and undergraduate students and make outlines and video lectures. I will try to return the help I get in a form that multiplies the good content I get to aid in gettings things to run.

Paul

CocnutAir
12-30-2009, 03:47 AM
One needs to configure WIDEFS (Wideserver) as well.
I am not certain what specifics are for FSUIPC4 and latest version of WideFS with FSX.
To do research I would need to purchase FSUIPC4, FSX, plus appropriate hardware, read and study the documentation and try it out. Plus give up about a two (full) weekend's worth of my time. I am prepared to help - up to a point.

Andy, what version of FS2ph are you using? This is for another query from another builder.

Spiro, you have not installed WideFS yet? Is that correct? Are you specifically looking for help on installing and configuring WideFS?

spiro
12-30-2009, 05:44 AM
dear Alan

i am not using a network i am running fsx on a singal pc
sorry if i did not mention that i comunicated with Mr Dowson
and he explaind that wide fs is used only for a network

so i am very sorry for not telling you

do i have to have a net work ??
regards spiro

Peter Dowson
12-30-2009, 08:38 AM
Thanks.... You are right. FSUIPC needs to be configured. :)
FSUIPC doesn't know anything about any "Phidgets". Surely it is the Phidgets interface software which needs to be copnfigured to do whatever you want? FSUIPC is only the invisible window for it into FS.

And unless you are using FSX-only additions to FSUIPC's offsets, there will be no difference between FS9 and FSX (or FS98, FS2000, FS2002 and ESP for that matter -- that's always been the whole point of FSUIPC, to maintain onward compatibility for applications).

I am trying to see if I can get help from Peter D on the configuration of FSUIPC to see FS2Phidgets application. So far no luck on getting that help from his forums.It isn't surprising, is it, when I have no Phidgets cards, and know nothing about the interface Mr. Dyer is providing for you. I cannot support other people's programs, especially when I do not have them or use them myself. How can you expect that?

If there is no documentation for FS2Phidgets and no support offered for it, then I am sorry, but I cannot see how you will get any answers.

Regards

Pete

Peter Dowson
12-30-2009, 08:47 AM
One needs to configure WIDEFS (Wideserver) as well.

WideFS should not need any configuring. It is designed to work as is. All the parameters have been optimised over many years.

And it certainly does not need configuring for users who are not using a Network and therefore have no use for WideFs, like Mr. Spiro.

I am not certain what specifics are for FSUIPC4 and latest version of WideFS with FSX.

If you have an application which works with FSUIPC, then it works with FSUIPC. The version of FS should not matter unless you are specifically taking advantage of new features in later versions. If you find an FSUIPC application which works with FSUIPC3, using documented offsets, but not with FSUIPC4 then I would need to know about it, because it could be a bug I'd need to fix!

The whole point of the development of FSUIPC since I first started in FS98 days is to maintain ongoing compatibility for applications. I don't understand why this is still not recognised! :-( And WideFS's interface is unchanged for more than 10 years, so there should be nothing there for you to think about or do.

Is there no documentation for your application to explain to folks how to use it? I don't understand why they are coming to my Support Forum to ask about FSUIPC settings. What have they got to do with it?

Regards
Pete

CocnutAir
12-31-2009, 02:41 AM
Likewise, FS2Phidgets is also designed to run as is. There are no communication settings.

Peter, product is documented and supported. I do this for no charge. Is free. Don't make a bloody bean. Only reward is snide comments about lack of documentation and support. I have nothing to do with Phidgets - I pay the same price as everybody else for the hardware. I just wrote an interface between Phidgets hardware and FS using FSUIPC which I share with flight sim builders. You're now making me sorry I did.
If you suspect product is shoddy and/or has no documentation please extend the courtesy of checking with me first in private. I have some pride.

gordo
12-31-2009, 05:14 PM
Alan and Pete both have developed some great software that offers us the chance to really do some fantastic things.

Both are well documented and offer a fantastic amount of cost effective I/O for our hobby.

From a personal point of view, I came into the Simulator "thing" 12 months ago, where we decided to use FS2Phidgets on the rebuild of the original BA Concorde simulator. From a standing start, we have re-engineered an fantastic amount of the functionality, any downside has not been down to Alan or Pete's software, or its documentation, but due to FS not really being able to simulate a complex mach2 aircraft!

As we move into 2010 we should all be giving Alan and Pete a big pat on the back for the work they do and continue to do.

All the best for 2010 boys!

ptrebian
12-31-2009, 06:15 PM
Likewise, FS2Phidgets is also designed to run as is. There are no communication settings.

Peter, product is documented and supported. I do this for no charge. Is free. Don't make a bloody bean. Only reward is snide comments about lack of documentation and support. I have nothing to do with Phidgets - I pay the same price as everybody else for the hardware. I just wrote an interface between Phidgets hardware and FS using FSUIPC which I share with flight sim builders. You're now making me sorry I did.
If you suspect product is shoddy and/or has no documentation please extend the courtesy of checking with me first in private. I have some pride.

Alan,

Your product and support are great. I am sure I have some configuration to do. Your comments and direction are much appreciated. I would pay for your software.

Please know that I am not upset at all, either with you or Peter D. My comments just state what I am experiencing.

Please keep on developing your software, I am also a programmer and know what you are going through.

Thanks a bunch! :)

Paul

ptrebian
12-31-2009, 06:18 PM
FSUIPC doesn't know anything about any "Phidgets". Surely it is the Phidgets interface software which needs to be copnfigured to do whatever you want? FSUIPC is only the invisible window for it into FS.

And unless you are using FSX-only additions to FSUIPC's offsets, there will be no difference between FS9 and FSX (or FS98, FS2000, FS2002 and ESP for that matter -- that's always been the whole point of FSUIPC, to maintain onward compatibility for applications).

It isn't surprising, is it, when I have no Phidgets cards, and know nothing about the interface Mr. Dyer is providing for you. I cannot support other people's programs, especially when I do not have them or use them myself. How can you expect that?

If there is no documentation for FS2Phidgets and no support offered for it, then I am sorry, but I cannot see how you will get any answers.

Regards

Pete

Peter,

I have used your product for years..... And I might add with great success. I look at your forums regularily and get help from just reading.

I apologize if I have offended you in any way. Forum posts are so cold, when one reports not getting help from forums, it may just mean after reading all the content in the forums no specific help could help the situation at had for the user. It is not a reflection on you.

You also keep u the good work I appreciate your efforts as well.:p

Paul

ptrebian
12-31-2009, 06:49 PM

Alan,

I want to apologize if my questions in your support forum caused you to suffer. I did not realize Peter D. would take offense at my post. I merely stated I was not getting help from his forums. This is true, as I read what was already there, it did not offer any help for my specific situation. In addition, he stated on many occasions that he does not support outside is program.

That all being said, It was in my thread that discouraged you and if I had not posted it originally.... that may have not happened to you. I feel bad that I may have given an opportunity for another to suffer.

I appreciate your efforts, and I know many others fully appreciate your work.

Please take Peter's comments in stride, if anyone needs to be corrected it is me.

I hope you have a great new year. Your work is already making me happy. I can see it working after I work on the setup some more.

Being a programmer myself, I fully appreciate what you are going through. Keep up the great work.

Take care.

Paul

Peter Dowson
01-01-2010, 09:07 PM
Peter, product is documented and supported.

Good. I would hope so, of course. I was asking Mr. Spiro this very question after he came on my forum asking for my help in getting Phidgets working.

Only reward is snide comments about lack of documentation and support. I have nothing to do with Phidgets

I think you must be misinterpreting something I said. I never said there was none, I'm sure I said "if" there was none. I'm sorry if I offended you. no such intention was there, I assure you.

But I never suspected any such thing. And I was also trying to help by pointing out that if your program works with FS9/FSUIPC3 it should work with FSX/FSUIPC4 -- if it doesn't I'd like to know because it would no doubt then be my fault.

I'll butt out now. I seem to get thoroughly misunderstood most times I come here and try to help. Maybe I should make it a resolution not to bother at all in 2010.

Happy new year.

Pete

Daveanne
01-02-2010, 03:32 PM
hello guys
i instaled the softwere for windows 64bit from the site (i am using win7)
i connected my 0/16/16
i rthen run the softwere and on the test page when i klick an output
the board dose light up so i belive up to know everything is ok:D

know i see that it says to use a 9v power supplyto trigger the board with the NEGATIVE i under stand that but what i whant to ask is

1. do i have to use 9v or can i use 5v or 12v ????i have these power supplys
from an old pc

2. i looked on peters site but i did not understsnd much:-( how do i get it to work with fsuipc?????????????

if some one can explane step by step just how i can get 1 on/off switch
working and lighting up 1 out put with pidgets softwere/fsuipc/fsx
lets say parking brake or gear up i really need it an will apreshiate it
regards

Spiro, sorry I can't help you with FSX or 64 bit Windows, but to answer one of your questions: No you don't need to attach a battery to the 0/16/16 board all the time, that's just for testing.

When you connect a 9 volt battery at the "G" and "0" on the 'inputs' a "tick" should show on the test programme page, when you place a "tick" in the "0" 'Output' section one of the onboard LED's will light up, if you place a test meter across "G" and "0" on the 'Outputs' then your meter will show that the connection is closed, when the light is on.

I am not sure if this will help you, but I have installed a 0/16/16 interface and I am using FS2Phidgets interface to make a light work on my Overhead panel, this will do the same for a brake light.

Ensure that you have downloaded the Phidgets driver (www.phidgets.com (http://www.phidgets.com/)), install it and then every time you start your PC it will run in the background, you can check if its running by looking at your taskbar it should show an icon with Ph in it?

Load FS, and then load the FS Variable editor from Allen’s site.

In the Variable editor, (in my case I am making an LED illuminate when the aircraft doors are open, so adapt what I have done for your need’s), choose "File, Open and then Logic Variable Tutorial".

The interface will now show: “LogicVariableTutorial.ini” in the FS Variable File Box
And you will also see: “AIRCRAFT_ON_GROUND” in the second box
The offset box will show: 0366
Size Box: 2
In the FS variable box the “digital (2 value)” button is on

In my case the “offset” for the ‘door’s open’ is 3367, the brake on/off will be a different offset number (you will have to find this out try using FSinterrogate, it comes with FSUIPC (Thanks Peter D).

You will now need to "create new variable" by clicking the white page icon in the middle at the top of the interface, in the box type in what ever name you want to use for the brake light, in fact there is already one called "PARK_BRAKE", choose this one and put the offset value into the "Offset Box" (in Fs9 this is 0BC8).

In the 'Valid Variable Values' section may well show what the on/off values are allready (FS9 is off=0 On = 32767).

Now save using the 'save' icon at the top and you can now close the Variable editor.

Ensure that you have FS running and open the FS2Phidgets interface, ensure its in "configuer" mode and you have your 0/16/16 interface showing in the "device Type" box, there should already be a small arrow in the Index list agaist "0" and the 'FS Var. File' list should show 'FS2PhUIPC430.ini' and the next list to it should show 'Unassigned'.

Now click the first item in the FS Var.File drop down arrow and choose "LogicVariableTutorial.ini, then choose (in your case), PARK_BRAKE after a few short seconds the offset you chose in the variable editor will show in the 'Offset' box.

Next click the red box under "enable", it will turn green, when you apply your park brake in the simulator the "outputs" LED next to the "G 0" on your 0/16/16 interface will light up?

If you had an LED connected to these terminals (providing you have connected the "G" to ground) your brake lever annuciator will also light up?

Hope this helps?

Daveanne

spiro
01-03-2010, 05:37 AM
dear Daveanne
thanks for the steps that was what i needed this is what is happening

i have down loaded ph21.6 veresion(i open the ph control panel and when i tick eveything works ok;))

i then downloaded from Mr Alans site(in the file library on this site)the fs2phidgets 4.3.15 softwere extracted to a file on my descktop and tyhan presset set up

i comfired set up with yes and it installed

i get an icon on my programe page

i start fs, ph21 control panel than fs2phidgets 4.3.15

and i get an error

run-time error'76'
path not found

i try the fs variable editor and i get the same error

this is were i am stuck!!
if you can help out on this:roll:

Daveanne
01-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Spiro, a lot of people have problems with the later version of FS2Phidgets, uninstall your version and install version; 4.3.8

Unfortunately this site won't allow me to attach the file because it's to big, but PM me with your email address and I will send you the file, along with some screen shots showing you what to do.

Also you dont need to start the phidgets 21 file, it will be running in the background allready.

Look forward to receiving your email address soon.

Daveanne

CocnutAir
01-03-2010, 12:37 PM
Where did you get Phidgets 4.3.15? That is an old version.
You do not need to uninstall and re-install
Update .exe with lastest version 4.3.21
Available in download section on this web site.
Add fs2phidget4321.exe to folder you installed fs2phidget.

colt45
01-03-2010, 02:25 PM
Spiro,

I was also getting the Error 76 and I edited the FS2Phidget.ini file as follows

revised 3rd line

FSItemsDir=C:\Program Files\FS2Phidget\FSVariable\

to

FSItemsDir=C:\Program Files\FS2Phidget\FSVariable4315\

That seemed to get rid of that error. However I still have not figured out where the FSVariable.exe file is but DaveAnne's post may help me.

Cheers, Dave

spiro
01-03-2010, 04:07 PM
hello
i tryed the update 4.3.21 but still the sme error comes up once i extracted the
4.3.21 exe to the fs2phidgets folder i noticet that on the programe page the icon did not change from fs2phidgets4.3.15 to fs2phidgets4.3.21
i tryed again and i see that it is in the file:oops::oops::oops:
i dont know what i am doing wrong
Daveanne PM sent
kind regards spiro

colt45
01-03-2010, 05:16 PM
Daveanne,

Thanks for your quick tutorial in your post above to Spiro. I have been trying to get my head around this Phidgets stuff for the last few days without any success. Your post did the trick as I was able to light the "emulator" LED when activating the parking brake in FS9.

One small error in your post is the offset for the Parking Brake is 0BC8. Other than that it worked great.

One other thing that was causing me a problem was the placement of the .ini files. I was not able to open the Logic Variable Tutorial file as per your instructions originally. When I unzipped the 4.3.15 edition it creates a subfolder called FSVariable4315 and places the .ini files there. I moved them to the Program Files/FSVariable folder and things worked fine after that. Also I found the FSVariable4315.exe file in the Program Files folder.

Now that I can get it working I will see what other outputs I can get working with the emulator before I make the call on purchasing the actual phidgets.

Cheers, Dave

Daveanne
01-03-2010, 05:47 PM
Sorry about the fault in my code, but I placed that bit in quotes, but this programe placed a smiling face in it's place....?

Daveanne

CocnutAir
01-03-2010, 06:13 PM
The install program updates your desktop icon and program list.
Copying the file into folder will not do that.

I am trying to establish if the 4.3.21 version works.
Want to make sure we only have workable versions.
Thanks for feedback.

In any event, I have uploaded Fs2Phidget 5.0.13 to this web site.
Waiting for executive staff to approve and make available.

jhaverkamp
01-03-2010, 08:11 PM
Alan,
I'm still a newbie looking for help. You may have seen my earlier posts on a device about a LabJack U3-HV that was a gift to me. It is similar to the phidget 8-8-8 a I'm trying my luck at learning to program it to FSX via FSUIPC and was wondering if the device could be appended to the
FS2Phidget interface you have produced. I'm retired and have time on my hands to learn/do this if I could be given some direction. After looking at phidgets I'm thinking that future expansion they will be my choice. Right now the plan is to build my own yoke and pedals using a salvaged Saitek joystick for a base device and ultimatly going to the LabJack or Phidget as an input card. LabJack info is available for programming in C++ as well as other languages at their website.
Thanks again for your informative postings, I enjoy reading them and they help my learning...
Jim

CocnutAir
01-04-2010, 03:49 PM
Jim,

Had no plans to build in direct support for Lab Jack products.
However, FS2Phidget5 is going have indirect support for other devices.
FS2Phidget5 will act as a server to client applications, that users would develop. I will be providing an SDK to assist with this. Comms will be TCP/IP.

Regards,
Alan.

jhaverkamp
01-04-2010, 09:19 PM
Alan,

Thanks for the reply, I'll check out the new release and continue with learning C++ using C++ for Dummies. A side note, LabJack includes a product with their products called DAQFactory. this may ease the pain if I can get my old mind thinking about programming again.

Many thanks for the info and I'll continue following forum posts.
Jim

CocnutAir
01-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Jim,
I would recommend reading C for Dummies (comes in 2 volumes) first. Although C++ for Dummies covers the subject of pointers in a single chapter and the subject of arrays in another , it does not cover subject in as much depth as C for Dummies. Although C++ book covers arrays in relation to pointers it does not cover strings which are also arrays (important to make the connection). Assumption that C++ book makes is that that one has already read C book or is familiar with language. I assisted my son a few years back when he was learning from these books, hence the insight.

Regards,
Alan.

spiro
01-05-2010, 01:34 PM
dear Mr Alan

i got the fs2phidgets5

it looks grate and works at the moment i am going to connect some switches and test it out

what power supply do you use 5v for swithches in put???

regards

CocnutAir
01-05-2010, 01:41 PM
Jim,
To help you on the learning curve, what is your programming background? I prefer to give pointers (no pun intended) that are in context with areas you may already be familiar with. Also saves repeating familiar territory.
It as a good hobby you are pursuing in retirement - keeps you off the streets and out of the bars :) Will be safe to let the women out onto the streets now. LOL.

Regards,
Alan

CocnutAir
01-05-2010, 02:13 PM
Spiro,

Just call me Alan - my wife has other names for me, but none are polite :).
I use the 5V from an old PC power supply.

Regards,
Alan.

spiro
01-05-2010, 02:23 PM
ok then Alan
i really like the softwere fsphidgets5 it is very nice and looks easer to use
for pepole like me that are not so skilled on pc

i was looking through the forums to see how to connect

i notice that when i put 5v to a input, the led on the board lights up
and on the ph test page the input gets ticked but i have not connected the
negative (G) eny were???? for inputs dont we need groung ?

and also to conect a led or light what dose the board give us on its outputs??
i cant get a 5v led to work

kind regards spiro

CocnutAir
01-05-2010, 02:25 PM
In any event, if you are using LEDs you would need resistors to drop voltage, but I am by no means an electronics expert. Most of what I know comes from staying awake during Physics class, two Daves, reading Electronics for Dummies (I really should buy John Wiley & Sons stock) and this forum.

spiro
01-05-2010, 02:34 PM
ok i got it done
ok they work ok i am going to experiment with fs2phidgetd5

once again love your softwere

regards spiro

CocnutAir
01-05-2010, 02:42 PM
Spiro,

If you don't have one lead on led (and it has to be the correct lead) connected to a G terminal on phidget card then led will not work.

I connect my leds exactly as in the Phidget product manual.

Does led work with Phidget Manager - located in your Windows tray - bottom right?

Let's do this one step at a time:

(1) Get led working in a basic circuit (getting voltage correct and terminal identified - led is a diode - have to connect + and - correct way around)
(2) Get led working with Phidgets driver.
(3) Get led working with FS2Phidget.

Regards,
Alan

jhaverkamp
01-05-2010, 03:01 PM
Alan,
I started programming in Applesoft Basic and HP Basic for Data Aqu when I worked for Carrier Corp. That project was for logging data for calculating EER and SEER with an indoor and outdoor combined test facility. My next job was With Lockheed Martin and I was tasked with developing databases with DBase 3 and a program called Nomad. I have built document fortmatting applications with Excel also. I havent't tried anything since except sailing and keeping the XYL happy.
Thanks again for the pointers my "for Dummies" library currently contains
"C++ 7 Books In 1" and "C++ FD 2009" which includes streaming I/O.
Once again I thank you and what you have brought to the hobby.
Jim.

spiro
01-05-2010, 04:03 PM
Ok Alan
i am going good for a beginer i have got the switches and led working with
ph test panel and fs2phidgets5

i had a funny probleme when i was un pluging my phidgets fro the usb
input and outputs were showing in the tool box when i was pluyging it in
they were disapering and only the seireal number was showing???

i restarted fsx and fs2phidgets5 and it is ok dont know what happend
how to i start up do i run first fs2phidgets5 then do i plug the ph 0/16/16
or dosent matter???

this is what i have done,i get my compoments in the cuircuit builder
and when i turn on the switch i see the digital input in the cuircut builder
turn green and in the tool box my input from red gose to green:grin:
so that is working ok

also my outputs when i click the digital out put it lights up all ok and my led works i can not get it to turn on yet??

know here is the big qestion
how do i asighin my switch to lets say the parking brake this is were i get alittel mixed up
regards spiro

spiro
01-05-2010, 04:29 PM
hello again

in the property box when i go to fs variable to set fsuipc offsets
for the switch i have connected it is blank also in the fsuipc box
it remains black and dose not say my fsuipc copy
fsx is green and connected but fsuipc is black!!!

i do have a registed copy in the 4.5.3 version it was showing my fsuipc ok
is somthing wrong???

kind regards spiro

CocnutAir
01-06-2010, 10:48 AM
Fs Variables are stored in an FS File.
Need to select an FS File before selecting an FS Variable.
Select FSVariables4315.xml as your FS File.

spiro
01-06-2010, 12:39 PM
dear Alan
i got the hang of it and got the paking brake switch to work with fsx and a led i connected to the outputs for the brake works very nice programe alan;)

i do have a nother probleme i need to find a addon airbus for fsx as the defult
on dose not have all offsets functinal i tryed to assigne some eng starts but the do not work on the a321 i dont know
regards

CocnutAir
01-06-2010, 01:09 PM
Spiro,
That's excellent news.

I just want to make sure I understand your last question.
There are offsets for your Airbus add-on, but you do not see them on any FS2Phidget5 drop-down list. Is that correct?

Regards,
Alan.

spiro
01-06-2010, 01:29 PM
hello again
on the fs2phidgets drop down there are alot of functions
with there fsuipc offsets witch i see work with the defult fsx aircraft

what i whant to know is how do i find the offsets for my addon were do i look?
my addon is wilco airbus

and if i find them do i chouse the same function from the folder and just type the offset i whant

or do i have to make a new folder with the offsets i whant and save it in the
fsvariable with the onse that are all ready there???

if so were do i find wilcos offsets?
regards

CocnutAir
01-06-2010, 05:07 PM
Bear in mind, that when we are talking about offsets we are always talking about FSUIPC offsets.
The creator of FSUIPC publishes a list of all offsets in their product documentation and on their web site(s).
Because Project Magenta is a heavy user of FSUIPC offsets, they also publish a list of offsets.

Let's do this one step at time:
(1) Let me know what specific offset you want to work with.

(2a) If there is no offset, then you are out of luck, unless you can throw enough money at FSUIPC team to have them create one just for you.

(2b) If there is an offset, I will let you know if that offset is delivered with fs2ph5 and how you can locate it.

(2c) If there is an offset and it is not delivered with fs2ph5, I will walk you thru setting it up.

spiro
01-07-2010, 01:21 PM
Ok Alan and thanks for all the help

in wilcos page it has a key configuration witch has key combination
for diffrent things and the rest of the thing work with fsx as the defult
will these do?

also wilco is very heavy for fsx as an addon i am trying to use jeehells softwere withch i live very much but i have a cockpitsonic fcu module witch only works with PM i have spoken to cockpitsonic and are waiting for an answer about getting to work with other programs

becuse PM is a bit out of my economics at the moment so i am trying to find a soloution

regards spiro

CocnutAir
01-08-2010, 12:33 PM
If cockpitsonic (not sure what that is) works with PM, then there are most probably offsets (either the standard ones or custom). I am not going to spend any time researching Cockpitsonic functionality. You will need to identify offsets and let me know what they are.

DarylL
01-28-2010, 10:10 AM
I have been working with Phidgets fairly extensively for the past few years. I originally started with FSUIPC and FS2Phidgets... both are good programs but I ran into problems with them so decided to write an independant program to communicate directly with simconnect. As stated elsewhere in this forum, I am currently running a full VFR panel strictly on phidgets.
An example can be seen at http://www.livingskyaerobatics.com/index_files/FlightSim.html. contact me and something could easily be put together for you.

ke6jzs
03-22-2010, 06:37 PM
Hello to All, I'm using FS2Pidget, but everytime I use a Variable with an 8 length FS2P crashes with
"An unhandeled exception has occured in your application. Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow."

The vaiables I need to complete my master Caution panel has many variables I need that are 8 length :(

Any help?
Thanks in advance, Gary ke6jzs@live.com

Help Alan! I'm using 5.0.18

CocnutAir
03-22-2010, 10:57 PM
I got the same error on Friday when I tried to use Battery Voltage offset. Which is 8 bytes long.
I have fixed that in 5.0.19
I was trying to build system to model B737 electric AC transfer busses.
Got that to work.
Introduced two components that make it easy to get circuits to interact.
CircuitInput and CircuitOuput components. kinda like FSInput and Ouput, but between circuits.
Also testing FSVariables that are "internal" i.e. you can define your own variables that do not read or write data to and from FS. Great for passing settings or data between circuits.

CocnutAir
03-22-2010, 11:01 PM
Gary,

Can I send you 5.0.19 to try at ke6jzs@live.com (ke6jzs@live.com) ?

Regards,
Alan

ke6jzs
03-23-2010, 08:22 AM
Gary,

Can I send you 5.0.19 to try at ke6jzs@live.com (ke6jzs@live.com) ?

Regards,
Alan

Please Alan, Yes, I would appreicate that.
Thanks for the response and support!

Gary