PDA

View Full Version : Which Windows 7 Version for FSX?

N242AM
12-18-2009, 09:40 AM
Since there are many versions of Windows 7, is there a consensus on which one is the best for FSX?

Full install vs upgrade from Vista?

Home, Professional, Ultimate?

I'm using a Q9550 CPU so I'm guessing that each version is both 32 and 64 bit and installs the correct OS for the installed processor?

Thanks.

PittsburghLever
12-18-2009, 12:39 PM
I would always go for a full install as you are sure that you start with a clean slate. It depends, however, on how much you want to "keep" from your old install.

autocadplease
12-18-2009, 01:32 PM
I'm using a Q9550 CPU so I'm guessing that each version is both 32 and 64 bit and installs the correct OS for the installed processor?

My retail upgrade version had two separate DVDs - one 32bit and one 64bit. The decision is yours. For me, I went with the 32bit version because I had problems getting some 64bit drivers, but I think because the 64bit is so popular new drivers will come online. I might switch one day.
I bought a new hard drive and installed Windows 7 on it and changed the hard drive priority in the BIOS. That way, I can have Vista on the old hard drive if needed. Adds another $100+ to the upgrade though.