PDA

View Full Version : I/O Interfacing

jhaverkamp
12-12-2009, 09:59 PM
I'm another newby in the woods and could use some guidance.
1. Has anyone used LabJack or SparkFun products in custom FS applications. I feel like they would work but am unsure if FS will recognize inputs from these USB devices and how to make them be seen in FS like commercial yokes. pedals, throttle etc?
2.My ambition is to build a multi screen sim for use with GA airplanes & helios.
3.Correct panel layout for functioning switiches and controls are primary desires, this may be accomplished by multiple portable cockpit panels and controls.
4. My mechanical skills are above average and I have some limited Progaming some skills in BASIC language.

twisted8
12-14-2009, 09:52 AM
I would stick with solutions already made for flight sims like opencockpits, Leo Bodnar's card, phidgets, etc. I use opencockpits, it's affordable and works great!

MortenHa
12-22-2009, 10:12 PM
Hi jhaverkamp

The LabJack modules look interesting! But I think it would be an overkill to use these industrial strength modules in an amateur simulator.

And you will need to customize the drivers (write code) to get FS to recoqnize the modules as joysticks (at least from what I can see reading the documentation). And BASIC isn't going to cut it, I'm sorry:???:

The price is also steep considering what you get. The cheapest model (U12 - 129$) gives you 8 analog inputs and 20 digital I/O. Opencockpits will give you 72 digital inputs, 45 digital outputs and 4 A/D converters for 90 Euros.

And it comes with the software needed to interface with MSFS (using FSUIPC)

Hope this helps you decide :D

Regards
Morten

jhaverkamp
12-23-2009, 03:44 PM
Morten,
Thanks for the response. I have a LabJack U3-HV with a CB15 expander card and LabJacks software that is the reason for the post. I was looking for a way to interface using LUA and getting FSX to recognize the device.
The other options look good but will have to wait until after the holidays.
Jim