PDA

View Full Version : Looking for suggestions on enclosure

ddimm
12-01-2009, 02:43 PM
I finally built a frame around my Cessna 172 simulator using PVC. I want to see if anyone has any suggestions on what materials to use to finish the enclosure. Thanks!

blueskydriver
12-01-2009, 03:45 PM
Since you're using PVC tubing, how about using PVC sheeting for the enclosure? It comes in 4'X8' sheets and cost about $30 US. I am not sure if Norcross is in the USA, but it's available at most large hardware stores like Lowe's, Mernards, & Home Depot.

I'm using it for screen material for wrap around. It's flexible and white; additionally, it's lighter than MDF. However, if you're going to add material to this, it could be a small problem... I'm not sure how carpet or fabric glue would stick to it if you're going to add fabric type of material. If you're just going to paint or leave it white, as it is, you would'nt have any worries.

Whatever, you decide, I suggest you add some cooling fans at the top and bottom of your enclosure to circulate the air. Top ones to remove heat (since heat rises) and bottom ones to draw in cool air which falls to the floor. Simple PC cooling fans will work, even old PC power supplies have fans that you can remove and reuse...funny, there are so many recyclable parts in computers that are great for flight simulation.

Anyway, my first sim was made from wood framing and mdf covering, with grey material glued on for the interior. It was ugly on the outside and I never finished that part, but the inside looked nice; however, it was hot on the inside and it certainly was a heating room!

One last hint for you. I used cheap poster board to use as pre-skins/draft versions first. Especially, since some cuts were complex. It was so easy to cut and tape pieces to fit over the frame and then just trace them onto the mdf for cutting. It saved a lot of mistakes for sure.

Here is a link to my old project from 2004...

http://www.opencockpits.com/modules.php?name=gallery2&g2_itemId=3353&g2_page=1&g2_navId=x21bc0ad4

Good luck on your project!

AK Mongo
12-01-2009, 07:47 PM
I finally built a frame around my Cessna 172 simulator using PVC. I want to see if anyone has any suggestions on what materials to use to finish the enclosure. Thanks!

Don't have any covering suggestions, but I am curious how you made the MIP, as the is the next step in my pit.

ddimm
12-01-2009, 09:05 PM
Don't have any covering suggestions, but I am curious how you made the MIP, as the is the next step in my pit.

Here is some info on how I made the MIP. http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17335

No Longer Active
12-02-2009, 06:57 AM
I have one good idea on how you can cover it.

Purchase some sheets of thin mdf such as 3mm or 4mm then cut out the sheets into panels, then attach broom handle clips to the panels so that you can simply clip them on or off to the pvc tubing in which ever variation you want......

just a thought.....

Good Luck!