PDA

View Full Version : Painting MDF

headshrink
11-26-2009, 07:45 PM
Do you need to use primer? Do you generally need 1 or more coats of paint?

Joe Lavery
11-26-2009, 08:47 PM
I used silk emulsion for my 737 cockpit, RAL colour 7011. 2 coats covered very well but obviously only for indoor use.
The number of coats depends on the colour but if it looks OK then it probably is :D.

I didn't use a primer, doesn't seem to make any diference. Again it depends on the finish you're looking for. If you want it super smooth then perhaps a primer would be worth the trouble, as long as you sand between coats it should be fine. :wink:

Cheers
Joe.

headshrink
11-26-2009, 11:51 PM
I used silk emulsion for my 737 cockpit, RAL colour 7011. 2 coats covered very well but obviously only for indoor use.
The number of coats depends on the colour but if it looks OK then it probably is :D.

I didn't use a primer, doesn't seem to make any diference. Again it depends on the finish you're looking for. If you want it super smooth then perhaps a primer would be worth the trouble, as long as you sand between coats it should be fine. :wink:

Cheers
Joe.

Is "silk emulsion" the name of the color?
What brand of paint?

Sweetwater
11-27-2009, 01:16 AM
Hi HS,

I used some "Gelcoat" fiberglass mix without fiber or mat... mix it up...have your parts ready (and in an area with GOOD ventilation) and thinly lay it on with a flexy plastic spatula ... Smooth it out and let it slowly absorb... you will only have 30 minutes or so if you mix the medium and catalyst right.

Let it dry completely and then hit it with a flat or oscillating sander in increasing grades... Start at 400 and work your way up to 1500 or 2000. Makes for glass smooth finish...

Not for everyone (a little more work) but a good way to make MDF look like metal :mrgreen:

Jeff

fweinrebe
11-27-2009, 10:54 AM
Do you need to use primer? Do you generally need 1 or more coats of paint?

I find that MDF especially on the sides sort of absorbs in the paint and you end up with a rough surface there. That's why some sort of coat is recommended.

Jeff has a very good idea, which I am going to give a try.

Steve A
11-27-2009, 12:10 PM
I used a little polybond mixed with water and sealed the mdf before painting.

Shawn
11-27-2009, 12:16 PM
Before painting I used two coats of sandable primer with a light sanding (160 grit) after each coat. It wasn't glass smooth but close. I'm going to try what Jeff suggested with the Gelcoat next time.

JWS
11-28-2009, 05:47 AM
I was under the impression that due to the kind of wax coat that is used on MDF, you needed to remove this wax first and then apply a special kind of MDF primer. After that you paint several layers.

JWS