PDA

View Full Version : Best Online software

mounty
10-03-2009, 07:49 PM
Hi,

I am thinking of using Vatsim and am wondering which is the best software to use. I am using FS9 with PMDG 737-800 and addons etc. Any ideas thoughts, preferences would be welcome.

Thanks

Rob

ian@737ng.co.uk
10-04-2009, 01:55 AM
hi rob.......
you'll never look back once you have flown on-line with controllers. my preference is Squawkbox. www.squawkbox.ca easy to set up and configure and never skips a beat. aircraft you are flying doesn't matter because it's a 'stand alone' network connection and comms package to allow you to communicate with the controller.
go for it :o
regards from wales ... ian

mounty
10-04-2009, 12:42 PM
Many Thanks Ian.

Rob

jasonw93
10-08-2009, 02:08 AM
I am in the field of aviation program. So I want to get more knowledge about my stream. I think this is very useful forum for my aviation knowledge. So please explain me about this software. I am very excited to know what's new in online software

mkitch
10-08-2009, 03:19 PM
I am in the field of aviation program. So I want to get more knowledge about my stream. I think this is very useful forum for my aviation knowledge. So please explain me about this software. I am very excited to know what's new in online software

VATSIM formally known as SATCO is nothing new. Neither is Squwakbox or FSINN. No news here! Just a bunch of builders and flyers.

Good luck Mounty, hope to see, er hear you in the skies!

o76o
11-04-2009, 03:32 PM
There are two, Squarkbox and FSInn..

I have tried both and Squarkbox is miles better (In my humble opinion). FSInn gave me no end of bugs and errors, and when I asked for help on their forums, all I got (me and ALOT of others, go and read it for yourself) was "FSInn is perfect, your computer is wrong, format everything and try again", The author of the program was very arrogant (again IMO).

So I use Squarkbox and it does exactly what it says on the tin. 5/5 :)

Peter Dowson
11-04-2009, 04:05 PM
So I use Squarkbox and it does exactly what it says on the tin. 5/5 :)

I've not flown on-line yet. I was all set to try, but I use FSX in a built cockpit with a hardware transponder. It is programmed to operate Squawkbox 3's "Ident" and "Mode" actions via the SB3 assigned FSUIPC offsets.

The problem with Squawkbox 4, which is needed for FSX use, is that although they appear to have catered for the PTT (using the same Roger-Wilco derived messages from SB3), they appear to have not (yet?) implemented any way to action the Ident signal, nor the transponder mode, for use from hardware. Just a keyboard shortcut or assignable button would do, but they don't appear to have provided this as far as I can ascertain.

I asked the two authors about this over a year ago (Brian and Joel, right?), suggesting the easiest way to add such facilities would be via a similar message scheme as used for PTT, which I would then support by adding new "controls" for assignment in FSUIPC.

I did remind Brian back in June this year and he said he'd speak to Joel (again?), but still nothing has happened, and no replies forthcoming. Maybe I'll try again, but after 13 or 14 months without any response from Joel I don't hold out much hope. Also, I notice that Squawkbox 4 appears not to have yet progressed from the Beta stage into a proper release. Is this really so? Is this still what everyone uses, the Beta version?

Several folks are urging me to try FSInn. I see that definitely has assignable keyboard shortcuts for all the functions you might need in a hardware cockpit, but there are some rather off-putting comments I read now and then, like yours. On top of that the website to obtain the needed software from is in French and apparently "under reconstruction" at present.

Seems I'll be sticking with Radar Contact for ATC for quite a while yet, unless others here know of a way? :-(

Regards

Pete

o76o
11-05-2009, 01:58 PM
The last time I had it installed was, as you say, the beta version.

As for FSInn, all I can say is try it. You may find that it works 100% for you.

Funny you mention radar contact, I was flying with this the other day, I received my clearance for take off from London City, rwy28. So I power up and before I could see and act on anything there was a plane taxing towards me! :-/

It's usually very good but just that moment it lost the plot slightly.

EDIT: I've just downloaded SB4 again, and it doesnt say beta now. Hmm maybe give it another go?

Peter Dowson
11-05-2009, 02:24 PM
As for FSInn, all I can say is try it. You may find that it works 100% for you.

Can't download it in any case -- their website (in French only?) has been under reconstruction for over a week.

EDIT: I've just downloaded SB4 again, and it doesnt say beta now. Hmm maybe give it another go?

No good. It still doesn't appear to have any provision for assigning keys or buttons the transponder mode and ident.

I've written to Brian and Joel again, but I haven't much hope for even a reply.

Regards

Pete

o76o
11-07-2009, 08:23 AM
Oh dear, I think I will have to eat some humble pie.

I tried SB4 yesterday and it caused a conflict with my soundcard and then caused FSX to go bananas which forced me to close it down!

I haven't had a chance to test it again since, but maybe I spoke too soon!

It's silly why they take so long to contact you, I mean, you're only the guy responsible for THE most widely used FS add-on... If I was a developer of a product I would make sure that I worked very closely with you to ensure everything ran smoothly.

o76o
11-07-2009, 08:30 AM
Can't download it in any case -- their website (in French only?) has been under reconstruction for over a week.

No good. It still doesn't appear to have any provision for assigning keys or buttons the transponder mode and ident.

I've written to Brian and Joel again, but I haven't much hope for even a reply.

Regards

Pete

Oh BTW Pete, I found this for you, regarding FSInn...
http://mrc.virtual-skies.com/index.php/FSInn_&_Copilot_Installation

And the download links.
http://www.virtual-skies.com/downloads.html

Installation Instructions
http://mrc.virtual-skies.com/index.php/Getting_Started_As_A_Pilot

Good luck :)