PDA

View Full Version : Projector Assistance

vybhav
09-28-2009, 11:05 AM
Dear All,

I am looking at purchasing a projector for my B737NG project and hence need advice. My room size is small and almost just enough to fit a cockpit shell. Hence, it would require a short throw projector.

I need the following:

a)Some suggestion of the most economical and effective short throw projectors

b)Is it possible to use one projector or would it me necessary to use more than one

c)Any suggestions on the projector screen

Looking forward towards your feedback

Regards
Vybhav

BHawthorne
09-28-2009, 02:05 PM
Look for projectors with 0.6:1 lens throw. Those are the shortest throw projectors on the market. The easiest way to find a list of short-throw projectors would be to use the search feature on the Projector Central website. Just click the short throw check-box in search preference.

Basically there are only 3 or 4 decent sub-$1000 projectors that are short throw. The Optoma EX525ST looks to be readily available on the market and has a street price of $899. In reading reviews the only downside on the EX525ST is text clarity when using keystone. That shouldn't be much of an issue with a simulator though. I purchased 2 last week and will know more shortly on them. They're replacing my InFocus SP5000, because they're way too long of a lens throw to be useful in a sim.

No Longer Active
09-28-2009, 02:09 PM
May I just add that ebay has a few of these short throw projectors, it may be worth checking them out too, your looking at the same price as what BHawthorne has suggested though!

Airhogg
09-28-2009, 02:13 PM
Here's the screen material I used for mine (rear projection).

http://www.digitalmediawarehouse.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=28&idproduct=616

vybhav
09-28-2009, 02:39 PM
Thanks Friends. Any particular resolution that is recommended for FS use?

Regards
Vybhav

BHawthorne
09-28-2009, 02:47 PM
Thanks Friends. Any particular resolution that is recommended for FS use?

Regards
Vybhav

You're not going to find anything other than 1024x768 projectors that will be $999 or less and short throw. The single exception is the new Sanyo PDG-DWL100 1280x800 short-throw that is around $1000 but for the most part your choices are 1024x768 projectors. My suggestion would be going either Sanyo or Optoma. Acer and NEC also have some in the price range, but I can't find any in stock.

No Longer Active
09-28-2009, 02:52 PM
Be careful though with projector lamps, sometimes the cheaper projectors have the most expensive lamps, and the more expensive projector is actually the cheaper option in the long run!

Please research the cost of projector lamps before you buy a projector as you may be in for a shock!

Cheers,

Alex

BHawthorne
09-28-2009, 02:56 PM
Be careful though with projector lamps, sometimes the cheaper projectors have the most expensive lamps, and the more expensive projector is actually the cheaper option in the long run!

Please research the cost of projector lamps before you buy a projector as you may be in for a shock!

Cheers,

Alex

Agreed, just realize after 2500-4000 hours (depending on projector) you've got a $200-350 bulb replacement. This'll end up being the largest consumables cost for your build because it'll be something you'll always have to be mindful of.

Geremy Britton
09-28-2009, 04:55 PM
I Couldn't agree more with Alex and Brad here! Definately research the price of bulbs before hand.

My Projector bought off ebay £300 excellent deal, case, remote, all included. Bulb works fine when testing. But i looked up new ones and they cost £400. Lets just hope this bulb last a while. And of course without a projector you have no visuals and no sim whilst you save up that kind of money to buy one. :eek:

TIP: Always handle projectors with extreme care! Every slight knock or movement could break the bulb filament which will eat into your pocket 10 fold for the extra time you could take by handling with care. :)

Best Regards

Cheers,

Alex

HomeCockpitFlyer
09-29-2009, 11:46 PM
I'm considering the BenQ MP772ST short throw projector. It also has a 0.6:1 throw ratio, 2500 ANSI lumens, and 2400:1 contrast ratio and sells for <$900. I've also looked at the Optoma EX525ST. Any one have any input on the BenQ model? In my case, I'm leaning towards the BenQ over the Optoma because it is just a little narrower in width which will help me setup two projectors closer to one another in a two projector setup.

Thanks,
Mike

vybhav
10-01-2009, 11:23 AM
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Looks like the Benq MP772ST model is not yet available in India. Still trying out some options based on feedback provided in this posts.

Also is my understaning correct that we would need atleast 2 projectors?

BHawthorne
10-01-2009, 10:34 PM
I'll know more about the EX525ST this weekend. I've got 2 being delivered tomorrow.

vybhav
10-03-2009, 03:46 PM
Friends

I am still stuck with the projector decision. It is increasingly more expensive, complicated and demanding that I ever imagined. Simple things that I took for granted viz., Screen too are expensive which I didnt budget.

I have some questions:

a) What is the cheapest solution for screen?

b) Would it make too much of a difference between XGA and SVGA native resolution (800X600 or 1024X768)?

c) Isn't there any solution possible with just a single projector?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Steve A
10-03-2009, 03:59 PM
I can answer questions "a" and "c" for you,
My screen is a 3 euro shower curtain.. although i do rear project due to space. I dont think i could get much cheaper :D I struggle to read text but the visuals are more than acceptable. Another option is screen paints like mightyblighty screen paint (?) maybe you could google it, i have a friend who has painted a wall with this and swears by it.

mpl330
10-04-2009, 05:47 AM
Hi,

I'm using a single Optoma ex525st and am now very happy with the results :D I wasn't to start with as I thought I had made a big mistake as the picture quality was awful - all AI planes just looked like blocks of colour but having installed nHancer and a later GPU driver everything is great - turned out to be a problem with the nvidia drivers and AA settings not being kept :roll:
The projector is installed above my OH and is about 1.9m from my "screen" which is currently the wall and gives an image that is wider than 2m.

Hope that helps
Cheers
Mike