PDA

View Full Version : wideview or THtoGo?

mach7
08-30-2009, 10:29 PM
I am looking at THtoGO with the realization that it only 'strectches' the forward view, rather than adding two additional views. For those of you who have worked with both...what would your choice be?

I suppose the advantage to THtoGO is the reduction of computers that would be needed using wideview (?).

autocadplease
08-30-2009, 10:56 PM
"I am looking at THtoGO with the realization that it only 'strectches' (sic) the forward view, rather than adding two additional views."
No, actually TH2GO increases your display size. Most people choose to use the entire display for their forward view. You can undock the views or panels and place them anywhere on the "stretched display" - but doing this (undocking) reduces your performance / framerates.

Wideview can only display "views" and cannot display gauges or panels. Each Wideview computer requires FSX and all the scenery add-ons for the "views" to display properly.

MartinK
08-31-2009, 05:03 AM
Grant is absolutely right!

I am also using a (single) forward view but stretched through the use of a TH2GO box instead of using WV to create the same view width.

The 'problem' with WV is, as Grant already said, you need a PC for each 'window' where that PC needs to have all software installed so by using the TH2GO box you save a considerable amount of money.

There is also a downside to the use of the TH2GO box; one is as Grant already indicated the loss of framerates when you use 3 seperate windows (Forward-left, Forward and Forward-right) which is why I am using just a single forward view.

Now, in order to make that single forward view look a bit more realistic I zoom out to the maximum. This makes the other downside appear: buildings on your left and right, in particular tall ones (like the tower) start to look like the tower of Pisa - they are not standing upright anymore.

So, the ideal situation would be a single PC, TH2GO and 3 - 5 windowed views; this apparently needs a lot of CPU power. But it also looks like it can be done. Have a look at the site of NicD, he has done it although I have tried to do the same but it didn't work in my situation (low framerates and views impossible to line up).

Though decision but hope my experience does help you.

Cheers,

Martin

XOrionFE
08-31-2009, 07:05 AM
What was said about increasing view and not stretching is correct. The view resolutioin is just triple the width so you see more. I only use the forward view so I cannot comment about using other views and framerates but I have not seen any degradation of performance when using just the forward view. I use a zoom of 1.00 and it is great for me. I use it with 3 22" lcds and to me the view is spectacular. Judge for yourself....this is my sim:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfhA6kvbHw0

Scott

N242AM
08-31-2009, 07:26 AM
I need clarification once again.

Three separate views, undocked forward, forward left and forward right vs the spanned TH2G view. Which displays more field of view without an unrealistic zoom-out?

To put it another way, does a three display spanned view show the same amount of field of view and three separate undocked forward views?

MartinK
08-31-2009, 08:07 AM
It al depends on the zoomfactor you use. A zoomfactor of 1 (the standard) produces a (much) smaller FoV then a zoomfactor of 0.3.

The other thing you need to be aware off is that although it says in the panel.cfg file where the various views are configured the angle between the forward and e.g. the forward left is 45 degrees (yes, i know, you can modify that) it is not really 45 degrees.

For the moment I use 3 spanned views from a TH2GO and 3 projectors because that´s given me the picture I like (although I´m still not totally satisfied with it, but hey, creditcrisis.....'
I also use 0.3 because that makes the runway length look more realistic in my setup and take a Tower of Pisa for granted.

I have only briefly experimented with 3 seperate views because that causes too much framerate loss for my system.

There is possibility however to create an almost 180 degree view based on 5 windowed views spread over 3 projectors (using a TH2GO). Have a look at NicD's site hereħ http://www.insitesolutions.com.au/737project/design_visuals.htm

Also Hans Krohn explains very well the issue of FoV and views on his site (www.hanskrohn.com) look under building tips, scroll down to the bottom to adjusting view angles....

Cheers,

Martin

davek
08-31-2009, 11:16 PM
Hey Scott
What software are you using for your panels?
cheers
Dave

XOrionFE
09-01-2009, 06:56 AM
Hey Scott
What software are you using for your panels?
cheers
Dave

In the video? That is Flight1's Cessna Mustang. The standby guages are seperate programs developed by a gentleman in the UK named Dave Ault http://www.learjet45chimera.co.uk

davek
09-01-2009, 07:11 AM
Thanks Scott
Found another post you had made about it and followed links until I found the info
cheers
Dave