PDA

View Full Version : Microchips for FSBUS

No Longer Active
08-25-2009, 04:16 AM
Hi there, is it possible to buy pre-programmed Microchips to make 4 x FSBUS display controllers , just that I need 4 microchips, I am fine making the PCB but don't have a programmer to program the microchips, and was wondering if anyone has access to a programmer to program the chips.....

Or are programmers cheap enough to buy?

Also does anyone know where to find info on maing an FSBUS COM board?
Cheers,

Alex

ian@737ng.co.uk
08-25-2009, 04:36 AM
hi alex......
have a look at the PICAXE chips ... www.picaxe.co.uk . you dont need a programmer to program the chips, you do it from your PC.
i've started using these to do all sorts of things in the cockpit. amazing little critters :o
rgds ... ian

No Longer Active
08-25-2009, 05:12 AM
Hi Ian,

All I am doing is making 4 LED displays to display 2 Nav's & Comms, pointless buying a programmer just for this!

Cheers for the advice mate, will definitely look it to this!

Cheers Ian.....as always!

PS....My radio is really coming along now, many many thanks for the encoder you sent me!

Alex :)

sgaert
08-25-2009, 05:14 AM
Hi Alex Jay,

if you build the Display Card and the Com Card you can program the Controllers by your self.
Informations about the Com card you will find in the doc folder in your CDK/FSBussDLL installation folder.
There also you find the Display Card (dsp) Manual, with all informations about programming the Contollers and work with them.

If you have questions or problems fell free to ask.

Stefan

No Longer Active
08-25-2009, 05:41 AM
I must admit, the more I read about this 'microchips' lark, the more its scaring me! This is seriously difficult to learn!

RobiD
08-28-2009, 08:43 PM
Hey Alex,

It sounds complicated but it's easy to learn and you have lots of help here if you get stuck.

I knew nothing about programming chips but now it's a breeze. I've programmed 15 display chips without problems let along all the other cards as well.

As Stefan said, if you have build the com board, it has a programmer built into it using the 6 pin ISP connector. Read the com documentation for how to do it, then read the documentation on the display cards for information on programming specifically those cards.

Once you have done one, it's a breeze.

So don't overwhelm yourself. If you have built you com board and your display board, and you have the chips ready to go, then you have everything you need.

You will probably need to download PonyProg to do the job of writing the hex files to the chips. It's free to download here: http://www.lancos.com/ppwin95.html

Hope the info helps.

David

shearder
09-04-2009, 06:00 AM
Hey guys

I am also attempting the FSBus route!! Are the chips programmed via the serial port OR via an external device i.e. PIKIT2?

I am planning the main board and LED Board first and then the board for the MCP digits i.e. heading, IAS etc...

On the site i see the FSBUS program - can i assume that is what is used to "program/flash" the chips??

sgaert
09-04-2009, 06:08 AM
Hallo,
oh the real old boards.
Sorry that is a lot of time before i started with Fsbus.
You can load the software on 737ng (http://www.737ng.de/?Downloads).
But i donīt know witch version you need.
With that tool you can flash the chips.

Stefan

shearder
09-04-2009, 06:33 AM
Hallo,
oh the real old boards.
Sorry that is a lot of time before i started with Fsbus.
You can load the software on 737ng (http://www.737ng.de/?Downloads).
But i donīt know witch version you need.
With that tool you can flash the chips.

Stefan

Thanks :) got some stuff there. Yeah they are old boards but the idea is that they are relatively "cheap" to put together and that is the key for me!! ;) It also won't cost TOO much to make a mistake - though avoidance is the best LOL

Thanks again :)

RobiD
09-05-2009, 03:19 AM
Thanks :) got some stuff there. Yeah they are old boards but the idea is that they are relatively "cheap" to put together and that is the key for me!! ;) It also won't cost TOO much to make a mistake - though avoidance is the best LOL

Thanks again :)

Price wise, there is not a lot of difference in making the new boards to the old.

I made the old boards way back but as soon as the New Generation boards were released, I made them. Very happy with them (as I was with the old boards).

The main difference is that you can use C++ to create your own program to run all your switches, gauges, lights etc etc that is fully customised to suit your cockpit.

I had no knowledge of C++ before starting the New Generation boards, but with the help of Stefan (who just posted here), I have an amazing cockpit running handmade analogue gauges with servos, MCP, Radios, backlighting and much more. I'm luvin' it.

If you're going to the effort to build the boards, I recommend building the new boards. But that is only my opinion.

David

PS plus the new boards have a built in ISP programmer (to program or flash the chips) so you don't need any other hardware to program the microcontroller chips.

shearder
09-05-2009, 03:43 AM
I got the new board stuff but i don't understand german LOL

So i don't know what is what. I can't find the list of components for example. Perhaps you can lead me to a site that has english docs or a full list a-z of what i need etc

Thanks again RobiD

RobiD
09-05-2009, 06:53 AM
I downloaded everything I needed from Dirk's site for the FSBUS DLL Version 2: http://www.fsbus.de/3.html

This is an executable file that installs the FSBus program. If you then go the c:program files/FsBus dll/ in this directory you will see a folder called doc this has all your documentation in it, there is a folder called pcb, this has all the pcb layouts in it (you will need to download a free program to view and print these. Instructions are in the documents). There is a folder containing the hex files for programming the chips etc.

All the documentation is in English.

Good luck.

David

shearder
09-05-2009, 11:05 AM
Hey RobiD

Strangely enough I managed to find his cousins site -one of the links - and I downloaded new stuff!!

For example the FSBUS COM interface is dated 2009!! All others are between 2006 and 2009 so i think all will be well.I handed in a parts list to the electronics shop here and they will respond on Monday. So basically i will be making the circuit boards myself - a LOT cheaper!! Probably cost me around 28bucks for press-n-peel sheet, some ferrous chloride, a piece of circuit board - around 16 bucks - say R90 IF that!! And would cost me at LEAST R590 to get it made. Yeah i could make a mistake and it may be 100%. I have been successful with most everything i have done so far LOL so who knows.

I have requested pricing to make COM board, DO64(LEDs), IO and 7SEG board and take it from there.I will first do the COM board and LED board OR 7seg - and the see if it all works with a USB-Serial cable. It should!!

I have a VAG-COM for my car which was designed for serial but works with an integrated USB cable BUT i still have to load a serial driver and configure the com port. So it should work OR i will use FSUIPC and plug it into the serial port of another machine!!

shearder
09-05-2009, 01:54 PM
Ah i was just thinking earlier - when i build a comms stack and have the standby and active frequency working andi press the button to switch the frequencies over-is that switch over programmed via the FSBUS software??

sgaert
09-05-2009, 01:58 PM
That is you personal choise.
You can us the FSUIPC Trasfer offset and readout the new Frequencies.
Or you change them in your code and write them to the FS.

Stefan

PS: I make the second way.

shearder
09-05-2009, 03:53 PM
Or you change them in your code and write them to the FS.

Stefan

PS: I make the second way.

I guess i have something to learn hey! I don't know FSUIPC or coding that well.I guess when you say code as in C++ etc? Using the DLL??

sgaert
09-05-2009, 04:09 PM
Yes i use the DLL, that needs coding in C.
Yes it is a lot to learn, but you have a great solution if you do that.
As a little sample, i use the same Programm to control the FS with the Hardware and the Hardware to the DirectX Soundsystem. My next stepp is to make that as client Server Application, than i control all Soundevises in the Cockpit (3 PC) with only on Hardware inteface.
With the FSbus NG Boards you can also use the CDK. I personal think it is more complicat. You cant use a tutorial from the Internet, everything is special. And in a full cockpit it is slow.

Stefan

shearder
09-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Thanks Stefan! Well Monday i should get someprices and get on my way to building hehehe

RobiD
09-07-2009, 07:24 PM
I use most of what Stefan is saying. In fact, without Stefan's continuous help, I would have struggled.

I am happy to share the C++ project files I have developed so far for my cockpit with the help of Stefan if you want it. It is for a generic Cessna Cockpit but with additions such as a Boeing 777 MCP (or a variation of it), 777 Overhead (haven't begun to code this yet). It has full programmed radio stack Nav1 and 2, Com 1and 2, ADF, Xponder, Switch panel, magneto switch, analogue gauges etc etc.

It has taken lots of time and learning but if we all share, we all learn.

Regards
David

PS: You can follow my learning curve with C++ progamming of the dll here: http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16227

It should also give you lots of info about how to code the dll from scratch.

shearder
09-08-2009, 06:54 AM
I use most of what Stefan is saying. In fact, without Stefan's continuous help, I would have struggled.

I am happy to share the C++ project files I have developed so far for my cockpit with the help of Stefan if you want it. It is for a generic Cessna Cockpit but with additions such as a Boeing 777 MCP (or a variation of it), 777 Overhead (haven't begun to code this yet). It has full programmed radio stack Nav1 and 2, Com 1and 2, ADF, Xponder, Switch panel, magneto switch, analogue gauges etc etc.

It has taken lots of time and learning but if we all share, we all learn.

Regards
David

PS: You can follow my learning curve with C++ progamming of the dll here: http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16227

It should also give you lots of info about how to code the dll from scratch.

MAN you guys are great. Well i got the pricing for the components etc tobuild the bards for FSBUS- COM, IO64, 6PACK and NG IO. Just for the boards excluding inter connectivity etc - I will etch the boards myself - BUT the cost is only around R250 excl VAT. All things considered,and NOT to discredit Opencockpits-i LOVE their stuff - just can't afford it, for me the master card kit alone WITHOUT shipping is around R250!!

So I can build a master board, LED IO 64 board, IO board and a 7SEG board for the same price... I have just got another PC up and running and busy with the third. All OLD things laying around LOL BUT had to buy an extra case, keyboardx2 and a mouse - R450!! SO all the little things add up!!!

I thank you for your offer to share RobiD - i will gladly accept any and all help/files etc!! I believe it would be the best route to go hearing what has been said here!! I am well prepared to learn new things!!

sgaert
09-08-2009, 07:03 AM
I also would share my Code.
If somebody needs the 737 with Sim-Avionics, write me a Message or Mail.

Stefan

shearder
09-08-2009, 07:42 AM
I also would share my Code.
If somebody needs the 737 with Sim-Avionics, write me a Message or Mail.

Stefan
Check your PM's :)