PDA

View Full Version : Hacked USB keyboard for interface

Rex Flyer
08-18-2009, 06:58 PM
Hi all! I'm very new at this and have only been researching about 3 weeks now. For step one I decide to hack an old USB keyboard. The little circuit card inside has 28 flat contacts on one side, arranged 8 contacts with a small space separating it from the other 20 contacts. It looks a lot like it's ready to just plug on a serial cable (SATA type), but the only ones I can find that come close have 7contacts followed by 12 contacts for a total of 19 contacts. The spacing is what is referred to as 2mm pitch. I've looked high and low and can't find a socket or cable that plugs on to it. The article I read about hacking the interface says to solder wires onto the contacts, but it would look much cleaner with a socket or cable attached that then branches out to the block terminals. Have any of you every found such a socket or cable?

autocadplease
08-18-2009, 07:24 PM
I am not aware of any sockets or plugs, but you could wire the PCB to a socket of your choice like this: http://www.hanskrohn.com/BuildingTips/Hacked_Keyboard/04_CDU_Case4.jpg

TasKiNG
08-18-2009, 07:28 PM
Not checked the pitch but you could check if a cut down old PC ISA slot connector would fit.

Rex Flyer
08-19-2009, 01:08 PM
But I can't plug into that socket. I'd have to wire to it, and that would not help. TasKing might be on to something though with use of an ISA slot from an old PC board or PICMG socket. Unfortunately, I can't find any of those - socket only - for sale. I guess they are to old for most folks.

autocadplease
08-19-2009, 02:50 PM
If you are worried about soldering the wires to the connectors because of the tight spacing/pitch, try some wire glue and use a tooth pick. I do that when soldering is too difficult. Then just run the wires to a socket / plug of your choice.

Rex Flyer
08-19-2009, 03:34 PM
Thanks autocadplease. That is a helpful idea. The pitch is 2mm, so with a very slim end soldering iron, I think I can make it contact, but I'm not talented at soldering. The real reason for seeking a plug was (1) it would look better and (2) if the interface failed for some reason, I could just plug on another to the circuit board.