PDA

View Full Version : Simple 2D/3D CAD software?

Roland
08-17-2009, 07:13 AM
I'm in the process of designing new actuators and 3doF platform construction, a bit more complicated than my previous versions. Just to see how it all fits, a CAD drawing in 2D and 3D would help avoiding mistakes.

Can anyone recommend a simple, easy to learn CAD program that has 3D capability?

allardjd
08-17-2009, 09:33 AM
I use Design CAD and like it a lot, but have the "Lite" version which is 2D only.

It's pretty easy to learn and use and has some decent tutorials included.

John Allard

Geremy Britton
08-17-2009, 09:53 AM
I would certainly recommend google sketchup.

Surfman
08-17-2009, 09:55 AM
Solidwork 2008 here. But it's not a "lite version".

Wendy
08-17-2009, 10:26 AM
Hello,

I design everything in ABViewer Professional 7. It is very easy and you can also do 3D drawings, however mine are always in 2D. There's also a very flexible printing system which allows you to print a big drawing on different A4.

The price is around 100 euros and support is very good.

This is the website http://www.cadsofttools.com

Hope this helps,

Kind regards, Wendy

Mike.Powell
08-17-2009, 10:49 AM
Roland,

I've been using TurboCAD for years. It allows you to work in 2D or 3D, and toggle between them. I question if any 3D CAD tool with a comprehensive command set is really "easy" to learn, but once through a few head-scratching moments, I've found TurboCAD to be straightforward to use.

Slightly out of date versions are available through Ebay inexpensively.

colaboy
08-17-2009, 11:39 AM
I would certainly recommend google sketchup.

I would like to recomend Google Sketchup also.
Incredibly easy to learn, extremely powerful, and of course, absolutely free.
Even comes with built in tutorials to get you working in no time.
It's as simple or as complicated as you need it to be.

Paul.

Roland
08-17-2009, 03:12 PM
Thanks a lot for all your recommendations, everyone.
I think I'll give Google Sketchup a try. It sounds like a good program to start with.

Thanks again.

No Longer Active
08-17-2009, 03:16 PM
SketchUp is good, I must admit....

If you use SketchUp try and keep to what you intended to do, because it's addictive and I'm sure you will design all sorts of stuff completely the opposite to what you set out to do!

It's also worth searching ebay for CAD programs, often you can find some of the older versions of AutoCad dirt cheap!

Excellent for learning!

autocadplease
08-17-2009, 03:55 PM
I have used autocad for all most 20 years, but I am very impressed with SketchUp and its ease of use and its price! Some of the Architects I deal with at work are starting to use it because they can merge it with Google Earth very easily (but that is part of the Pro version).

Can't beat free software!