PDA

View Full Version : The right set up??

docmeister
07-20-2009, 06:38 AM
Hi All
I'm just about to lay out some cash on a desktop computer specifically for my flight sim. I was hoping that someone may be able to sway me to or from Solid State Drives. Some ppl say to use them because there are no working parts, don't get hot and are quick. I know that it's new technology so the prices will be high but it it worth it? I want to get a system that can run FSX, REX, Scenery add-ons and FS Flight School all set up to high / ultra high. In time I will incorporate a TH2GO along with other Simkit and Go-Flight products.

If you are using these products and your system doesn't have a problem in running them:mrgreen:, I would be interested to know what system you are running.

Cheers in advance

Chris

Infinity
07-23-2009, 11:22 AM
I'd like to second that only I plan on building mine. My biggest concern is running the largest display possible with high resolution without slowing the game down. So I'm guessing two graphic cards would be a must. Is that right?

autocadplease
07-23-2009, 01:06 PM
So I'm guessing two graphic cards would be a must. Is that right?

FSX doesn't really take advantage of video card's GPU - the performance of FSX is more directly related to your CPU speed. The more displays you have running on the computer the slower FSX will be regardless of your video cards. Invest in a second computer that runs third party instrument display software like Project Magenta. The second computer does not need to be high end - I have $500 computers running my Project Magenta displays with very smooth graphics.

phil.
08-04-2009, 11:48 AM
what is the best graphic card at this moment to run FSX on Windows XP ?
And also what kind of fast CPU does there exist now ?
Phil.

autocadplease
08-04-2009, 04:59 PM
I really would put your money towards the fastest CPU you can afford. Even the best video card is not going to increase your framerates by that much. But FSX really "shines" with DirectX10. Windows XP does not support DirectX10, you need Windows Vista and a DirectX10 supported video card.
Personally, if you are looking at upgrading maybe save your money and wait for Windows 7 (you can get it with Windows XP embedded) and get a new computer. In 20+ years of buying and upgrading computers, I have always found buying a complete new system is a better value than upgrading.

If you want some actual data/reviews go to Tom's Hardware www.tomshardware.com . You can compare different video cards / CPUs. Check this out for FSX running on different video cards http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-graphics-charts-q1-2008/Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-X,565.html Notice how a high end card gets 23 FPS and a cheap card gets 20-21 FPS - FSX does not take advatage of the video cards GPU. Faster CPU = better framerate.

decklingbrain
12-21-2009, 12:55 AM
Very nice stuff..