PDA

View Full Version : Running PM systems and PM Instructor together on 1 Laptop

chrisdanker
12-23-2006, 11:51 AM
I recently purchased the PM Systems to add to my collection of Boeing and Airbus FULL software.

My question is :

1. Can the PM Systems run smoothly on a Pentium 3 700Mhz , 128mb RAM laptop? What are the minimium requirements?

2. Alternatively, can the PM Systems run together on the same laptop with P4 2.0 Ghz 512mb RAM that is currently running my PM Instructor? Can I use 2 monitors and run both the PM systems and PM Instructor on the same laptop? Will there be a conflict of software when it comes to the keyboard usage?

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Chris Danker
Kuala Lumpur, MALAYSIA

Bob Reed
12-23-2006, 01:21 PM
Hi Chris. I think if the 700 had a more ram you would be ok. CPU has enough to run it but I am affraid the ram is too little. Try it with demo. As far as runing it with the PM Instruct. I would have to say no. I tried runing the Instructors station on a 2.0 with 1 gig of ram, that was runing my EPIC software (FS Communicator) and it realy choked. That software takes a lot of power! Again the best thing to do would be to try it with the demo and see if you are satisfied with the results. Every system is differant you my find it will work.

NicD
12-23-2006, 06:58 PM
At the moment I'm running PMsystems, PMinstructor, and PMsounds all on a P-2.4 with 512MB-ram without any hassles. However I haven't got any I/O cards interfaced into the PC yet, so when that load is added the situation may well change - as per Bob's experience. I'm going to be using OpenCockpits I/O but I'm not sure what sort of extra load that will create yet.

There are no conflicts with PMsystems and PMinstructor - keyboard and mouse commands go to whichever application has the focus in windows.

One thing that makes a critical difference to the efficiency of these programs is your video driver and OpenGL compatability. It's worth trolling the net to find the best driver for your video card (or onboard video) to get the latest OpenGL compatability.

chrisdanker
12-26-2006, 04:22 AM
Thanks Bob,

I shall try additional RAM on my laptop and see if that works. I have some old spare Laptops that I wanted to see I could use with PM software. As the laptops take less space instead of the casings as my others are Desktop models. After about 6 PC's , they sure do start taking up space around my simulator. Infact , I was think of investing next time on Laptops to take over from my desktop models and cut down the area behind my Engravity Panels.

Cheers mate...

Chris

ekezz
12-26-2006, 05:53 AM
Maybe you can invest in shuttle pc's as they are very small and still give you desktop performance. You can pick some of the components yourself.