PDA

View Full Version : Pics of my 737 SIM

737NUT
12-17-2006, 04:42 PM
Ok Bob, here you go! :)

These are pics of my current test set-up for the visuals. Dell PJ in front of cockpit aimed at a mirror then onto the back of a bed sheet hung in frt of the cockpit. I'm pleased and think i will order the correct screen material now to make it final. Rear projection material is EXPENSIVE!!!! Yikes!

I have my co-pilots side left to do as well as some more work in the pedastle area.

I have the SIOC and PM suite working well now so time to fly for a bit. :)

http://www.737nut.com/currentsetup.html?1166388128640

ekezz
12-17-2006, 05:48 PM
Looks very impressive to me, amazing what you can do with mirrors!

Matt Olieman
12-17-2006, 07:06 PM
Excellent quality pic. Quite impressive.

NicD
12-17-2006, 07:33 PM
Looks great! Thanks for the pics.

Do you intend to curve your mirror and screen material, or leave flat? Will your side views be projected or on monitors?

737NUT
12-17-2006, 08:22 PM
Looks great! Thanks for the pics.

Do you intend to curve your mirror and screen material, or leave flat? Will your side views be projected or on monitors?

Nic,
I actually have a couple of PJ's going and had one set up as the side view but i ran into an issue. It gave a nice motion sensation but,,,, It was all the light coming from the multiple pj's which caused the display's to look washed out. With one being rear projected and the other front, made it that much worse. The ultimate solution would be enough space to do 3 rear projected images as i think to much light from 3 front projected units would be like flying into the sun. :) Another option is 2 60" tv/licos displays. I can tell you this as well also, if i had to do it all over again in the space i have, NO WAY would i use a real cockpit! Makes things 10 times harder.
Another issue is cooling, with multiple displays and hardware running, i can heat my little 10x20 room quite fast. Just ask Matt and Bob who have been here.

Bob Reed
12-18-2006, 10:04 AM
Hey Rob.. All I can say is WOW! Now don't you feel better for sharing??!! Looks like you decided against going with the "steam" on the FO's side? Looks like you have a NG panel there now....

737NUT
12-18-2006, 12:19 PM
Hey Rob.. All I can say is WOW! Now don't you feel better for sharing??!! Looks like you decided against going with the "steam" on the FO's side? Looks like you have a NG panel there now....

Yes, do to expense and wanting to get that hole filled, i'm going all NG. :)

I will just 'y' the display cable and show the capt's pfd on both sides for now. Can't afford the new software prices at PM.

I still want a better solution to the visuals, probably like what you got but that will be in the future.

Bob Reed
12-18-2006, 12:26 PM
Well Rob I only have 2 Plasma screens and I would not recomend them. DLP is the way to go. Look at the pics fom RadCliffs sim. They are CRAZY! Yes heat is a problem in all sims. On RadCliffs where we use no PJs.It is better since we got rid of 3 of the Plasma screens but still in a very short time, even on a cool day in VA you can raise the trmp 30deg in a much larger space then Rob's. Not sure of the exact dems but it is a 2 1/2 car garage. In fact a 2 ton AC unit was instaled that I have had to run on a 35deg day. Got up to 88 in less then 2 hours, starting temp was 62. And on the PM stuff. Contact them directly as you are a current customer and I think they will cut you a break on the FOs side... But you have to ask to find out!

Westozy
12-19-2006, 04:16 AM
Hi guys, you are not wrong about the heat generated, it will be great when winter comes around, it's about 35C/97F right now.
When I move my sim into the main building I will be switching to rear projection, I'm interested to hear comments on screen material as I will need to sort something out soon. I was thinking of trying 'Parasilk', I think they make wedding dresses out of it.

Gwyn