PDA

View Full Version : Full size 744 cockpit training poster

slip-stream
06-04-2009, 08:49 AM
http://www.avtrainingsolutions.com/xcart/catalog/Boeing-B747-400-Full-Size-Large-Scale-Cockpit-Poster-Illustratio-p-36.html

I cannot afford a real MIP / overhead / pedestal but was thinking of buying the poster set and carefully cutting out the PFD ND and EICAS etc and using spray repositional adhesive to fix the posters to MDF. With some decent backlighting it should look quite cool.

What do you think for a budget cockpit?

tomenglish2000
06-04-2009, 09:30 AM
How do you plan to backlight a poster?

Tom.

slip-stream
06-04-2009, 01:01 PM
Backlighting was the wrong word to use, but using LED's to enhance the effect.

Jackpilot
06-04-2009, 01:23 PM
I think Chris Danker did something like that for his overhead, do a search....

Trevor Hale
06-04-2009, 01:35 PM
It is a great idea, and I can't remember who did it, but someone building a 737 just did that.

The only thing that matters in the end is if you are happy with the result, and you can fly it..

Good luck.

Trev

http://www.avtrainingsolutions.com/xcart/catalog/Boeing-B747-400-Full-Size-Large-Scale-Cockpit-Poster-Illustratio-p-36.html

I cannot afford a real MIP / overhead / pedestal but was thinking of buying the poster set and carefully cutting out the PFD ND and EICAS etc and using spray repositional adhesive to fix the posters to MDF. With some decent backlighting it should look quite cool.

What do you think for a budget cockpit?

slip-stream
06-04-2009, 01:37 PM
Thanks Jack and Trevor for your input. I remember seeing a 737ng version, as shown on the website, and the graphics are realistic and very well 3D modelled.

It is a tad expensive though considering its just photo paper, but that company seems to be the only ones who produce full size training posters.

Gnorfie
06-04-2009, 02:08 PM
Did it, it was my first attempt building a cockpit. With a couple of led's in it. Also lot of work, made me thinking of building something better in the same time. Now, 4 attempts later i have my (symulatory) 737 mip and base almost ready, with screens behind it and glass cockpit software, the goflight MCP Pro, 2x goflight efis, a 737 seat (selfmade), a 737 yoke, triplehead2go with 3 21" screens. Pictures coming up soon. My advise: search on the internet for the best 2nd hand deals and be patient. Buy something, sell something, and buy with the profit other hardware. I think i have my pit for 1/5 of the price in the shops, maybe less. You see, it is possible, believe me. And in the mean time, try building your first pit with the poster set.

Benno.

slip-stream
06-04-2009, 02:47 PM
Understood Benno, I would love to see some photo's. I currently have a 6 screen set up, TH2Go, 1 Touch screen, CPFlight MCP Pro and Capt Efis, TQ6 Quadrant, rudder pedals etc, oh, and a Buttkicker (very important to feel the aircraft). Panels undocked via PMDG 744X.

No Longer Active
06-04-2009, 02:58 PM
$300 for a poster set?

That's daylight robbery....

Gnorfie
06-04-2009, 03:04 PM
When it is a poster for a car it wil cost 5$?? When it is plane-involved the price goes up. That is my opinion. I can remember that Paolo de Angelis had a site with 1:1 highres pics from a 737 cockpit????? Does anyone remember and maybe a link??? Then go to a copyshop and voila ;-) Better results, less money.

MartinK
06-04-2009, 03:46 PM
Hi,

300 USD is indeed a lot of money for just a set posters on glossy photopaper; it's not even laminated....

Have you thougth about Posterprint software (like e.g Posteriza); that's for free!!! (just google it) and prints anything to anysize on any sort of paper on your own photoprinter (or a friends one).

Nobody probably has the size of printers avtrainingsolutions has but if you are going to glue them on MDF anyway I don't see any problems in printing the various panels on multiple A4's and cut them to size.

Just a thought....

Cheers,

Martin

slip-stream
06-04-2009, 03:48 PM
I agree totally. What I don't understand is the half size 744 poster is only 34USD. How can that be? I wonder if they have made a mistake with the price perhaps.

EDIT: Er no just checked and all full size posters are 300 USD. And not forgetting the import tax and the handling charge.

Gnorfie
06-04-2009, 04:31 PM
For that money you can buy a second hand MIP..

slip-stream
06-04-2009, 04:41 PM
Point me in the right direction Gnorfie.

Gnorfie
06-04-2009, 05:16 PM
That's what i mean with waiting, en in the meanwhile searching the web. There is a lot for sale, for reasonable prices. Just placed my add in the classified section: i have a engravity captain en center mip for sale, complete with mcp and efis dummy. Asking price is 250 Euro. Something for you?

Benno

slip-stream
06-05-2009, 01:36 AM
Have PM'ed you Gary.

Gnorfie
06-05-2009, 02:18 AM
And this is what i mean! ;-)