PDA

View Full Version : 3-DOF Motion platform

Terry72
05-28-2009, 04:57 PM
I have been working on a motion platform for a while now. I'am planing on using Ian's software to run it. My question is does it look like it will work and what type of joint should I use to connect the controll arms to the motion platform. I have toyed with idea of using rod end bearings but I dont know if it will give me the range of movement that I need with out binding. I also thought of using 90 ball joints I just dont know. I have the base built and the blue bar moves freely with the u-joint on top. I plan on using 3 car winches to move my control arms. Depending on how long my lever is and where I attach the winch cable will determine the speed of the control arms movement and the amount of force it will take to move it. Over all what do you thank

Thanks in advance for all the in put

t1dUs
05-28-2009, 05:25 PM
Nice to see people innovating :D

If you come up with a home made solution for a motion platform I'd like to check the mark-ups, materials, configuration, etc.

Keep up the good work.

meo_udon
05-28-2009, 10:16 PM
Ian's software is very good software.

aviaparts
05-29-2009, 02:16 AM
Hi,

The best way to go is to use universal joints, it i not the cheapest but you have unlimited movement in all directions. Rod end bearings are possible but you will have to check them as the range of travel of these, the one compared to the other is different.

Terry72
05-29-2009, 10:39 AM
This is what I keep coming back to U-joints. I have studied some Commercial type of motion platform and that is what they use. I have also seen some with the rod end bearings. Do you have a source for smaller type of u-joints. I have also thought about trying to modify a 1/2 drive Ratchet u-joint from a socket set. start by drilling out the square drive and then thred it. or maybe I can get some square stock the same size as the drive and drill a hole through the socket and secure it using a celvis pin. maybe the meterial will be too hard to drill What do you thank.

Westozy
05-30-2009, 12:14 AM
I agree with Marnix, uni joints would probably be best. A large lawnmower manufacturer might have small uni joints!

Gwyn

aviaparts
05-30-2009, 05:54 PM
Most industrial providers have those small universal joints, they are easy to find.

Doon1
06-04-2009, 07:01 PM
This would be a perfect usage of those GM sector shafts I was telling you about. You can probably get the for free from your local GM dealer. Better hurry before they close...
John