PDA

View Full Version : Damaged 737 Continued To Fly For 11 Days

CessnaGuy
05-21-2009, 07:49 AM
Read all about it:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20090520/tuk-damaged-plane-continued-to-fly-for-1-45dbed5.html

dodiano
05-21-2009, 08:40 AM
The only thing I found strange about this is that it reached 44 Degrees and 82 knots?? At that speed and attitude you wouldn't recover such a heavy aircraft... Not mentioning 44 Degrees attitude you have to be a bit stupid not to realize you have that attitude...

Regards,

Roberto

tomenglish2000
05-21-2009, 08:59 AM
I also question the accuracy of this report.

I doubt you could unintentionally get a 44 degree pitch without knowing it. The only thing I could think of is if it had stalled and the pitch was uncontrollable causing the large pitch. But if this had happened recovery would probably not be possible!

Tom.

Matt Olieman
05-21-2009, 09:09 AM
I think depending how old the equipment is. On Go Around or in A/P it will pitch up high to maintain altitude, with or without power. Perhaps when he manually forced the thrust levers full, there was enough to recover. But I would think you would have to have a perfect scenario.

I've played with an B737-300 level D, quite a few years ago and did the same thing.... Of course I didn't know what I was doing.... LOL

Anyway, I could be way of base..... it certainly is not an Airbus, much safer, don't think that would of happened, what ya say Roberto.

Matt Olieman

dodiano
05-21-2009, 09:39 AM
44 degrees of pitch is way too Excessive Matt and you can not recover from a stall with a plane so heavy... Although what you mention about the 737 Pitching for altitude with or without power is true. The thing is that the stall itself is the thing unrecoverable... I mean they where way passed the stall speed...

And if in approach with a lot of Drag...

Regards

Matt Olieman
05-21-2009, 10:00 AM
Thanks Roberto, I agree. To me too it would seem unlikely to be able recover. I wouldn't think the engines would be able to spool up fast enough to even respond.

Interesting information though.....

Matt Olieman

CessnaGuy
05-21-2009, 10:08 AM
Look at the photo in the article.....

No first officer? No stripes?

Cutting back on staff I see LOL! :)

Either that, or that sim looks blimmin' realistic, so realistic it almost looks like he really is on final.

Matt Olieman
05-21-2009, 10:17 AM
That's a SIM, lol

Matt Olieman

CessnaGuy
05-21-2009, 10:46 AM
That is some realistic scenery!

Next you will be telling me that its not a 737 either!

Matt Olieman
05-21-2009, 10:55 AM
LOL... OK would you believe an Airbus.... :) :)

No, seriously... look at the lighting of the cockpit, lighting behind the seat. Daylight outside, lights on the panel full brightness.

OK, 'FINE' I can't see pass an Airbus, LOL

:)
Matt Olieman

CessnaGuy
05-21-2009, 11:25 AM
I was on an Airbus A321 and an Airbus A319 two weeks ago when flying to and from Palma Mallorca, as always I have a look in the cockpit when stationed at the airport. I was really surprised to see just how basic the Airbus really is, compared to a 737 an Airbus looks like an 'Automatic' compared to a 'Manual' 737, the Airbus just looked so much more 'automatic and simpler', the Airbus really did give an impression of 'less is best', it looked so basic, the overhead seemed to have half of what a 737 overhead has, the cockpit looked so much more spacious, it had a lovely navy blue carpet, loads of room in there. I was really shocked to see that the pilot was doing something on some sort of 'pull out laptop', the captain and FO just pulled out this screen from in front of them that slides out and just started tapping away at the screen. That very screen made an excellent 'newspaper support' for the FO as he was reading 'The Sun' newspaper while the captain was tapping at this screen in front of him, I guess there really isn't much for an FO to do while waiting for the late arrivals to board the plane! So I am VERY impressed by the Airbus and it may be converting me from the 737 to the Airbus, everything seemed to be so much more automatic, spacious and simple where I have been in the cockpit of the 737 and it seems like a technical, manual, and rather cramped less spacious beast! Though when I found out that the pilot was flying the Airbus with a joystick I started to sh*t myself as I personally would feel a lot more in control with a solid flight yoke in front of me rather than a joystick, being right handed and having to control with my left would take alot of getting used to! But the Airbus is certainly winning me over! One **** of an aircraft!

Matt Olieman
05-21-2009, 11:35 AM
ALLRIGHT ALEX we hooked another one.... LOL.

:)

Matt Olieman

CessnaGuy
05-21-2009, 11:59 AM
Though the 737 is my favoured aircraft, I think building the Airbus would be much easier than building the 737!

BHawthorne
05-21-2009, 01:19 PM
Hrrrm, weird article. The article doesn't even specify what is "damaged" and just makes a second hand account of the landing. Makes me wonder how the news got out after 11 days? Must have been a passenger with some flight knowledge? Sounds like a lot of operator error occurred. Whoever wrote the article is leaving too much information out and needs to go back to journalism class. :roll:

CessnaGuy
05-21-2009, 02:19 PM
Who cares......its interesting compared to no news at all!

dnoize
05-21-2009, 02:46 PM
Theres a long thread about this incident on PPrune (professional pilots rumours network)

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/300235-tom-stall.html

Stef

dnoize
05-21-2009, 03:00 PM
and heres a link to the Air Accidents Investigation Branch:

http://www.aaib.gov.uk/publications/formal_reports/3_2009_g_thof.cfm

with the actual report on the incident here:

http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources/3-2009%20G-THOF.pdf

and sectional documents of the report here:

http://www.aaib.gov.uk/publications/formal_reports/3_2009_g_thof/g_thof_report_sections.cfm

Stef