PDA

View Full Version : curved mirrors and screens

NicD
12-09-2006, 06:46 PM
Matt (and others) - I saw on your site that you are using the curved mirror/screen concept for visuals. I'm getting my projectors and a TripleHead2Go unit next week and about to start experiementing. So I was hoping you could give us an update on how this method has gone for you. Any tips, pitfalls etc.? How's the end-result for you now?

cheers

Matt Olieman
12-10-2006, 04:30 PM
There are so many variables related to this, and it's different in every setup.

First of all, I don't have anything set up, because I'm moving. But this is my design; I have a curved screen made from aluminum tubes, wrapped with the screen material. The projector(s) are mounted on top of the screen frame, pointing toward the top of the cockpit, which has a mirror that is slightly bent (this widens to picture when bounced back to the screen). This works, but not without some distortion.

When I reassemble my cockpit, will I use the same methodology? No! Rob (737Nut) found a lens to put in front of the projector that has the same effect. This is an option I will consider. Newer projectors with shorter throw distances... and it goes on and on.....

This is a pretty much open area for research... the methodology changes as we speak.

I'd love to hear from others and report their experiences.

NicD
12-10-2006, 05:29 PM
Thanks Matt.

Rob (737nut) - can you give us some detail on the lens attachement? I've thought that this sort of thing must be around but have not been able to find any here. Or I'll just go to the local optometrist and get a perscription fisheye lens made - lol :)

737NUT
12-10-2006, 07:56 PM
Thanks Matt.

Rob (737nut) - can you give us some detail on the lens attachement? I've thought that this sort of thing must be around but have not been able to find any here. Or I'll just go to the local optometrist and get a perscription fisheye lens made - lol :)

I have a camera lens that increases the size by almost 1/2! But i don't want to void my PJ warranty by attaching it to the lens.

Right now i am rear projecting, i'll get some pics for you all. I'm using a bed sheet since this is just testing. The proper rear projection screen material is HIGH dollar!!