PDA

View Full Version : LINUX FS9 Xplane

ak49er
05-06-2009, 02:15 PM
So I just got a pallet of computers. They came without HDD and no OS.

Rather than buy an OS for each, or skirt the law and do ghost installs. I am considering using Linux.

Does anyone here have any experience using it with FS or Xplane?

This would be an exciting challenge to learn a new OS, and a great way to save $$$ legally, as I have to buy HDD for each.

My other option is a pallet of P4 3.2g/1g/80g for 249.00 each,complete with XP on each.

What would you guys give for each of this type of machine (no monitor, keyboard, mouse , etc)

Bob Reed
05-06-2009, 04:10 PM
Linux at best is not for the faint of heart. It is a very good OS and I am running it on a number of machines in a number of differant roles. As for FS forget it but is there a Linux version of X-Plane? Do a search for Ubuntu it seems to be the best to get started with and gives you a nice GUI. Most of my servers have no GUI so I am have had to learn command line.. YAK... But it does work.

warvet
05-07-2009, 02:18 AM
Ak,
do they have vid cards or sound cards in them? What about DVD or CD drives? or just HD and motherboards and ram. Just curious

Tim

ak49er
05-08-2009, 08:05 PM
Tim, they have onboard video, and sound, DVD drives, and sealed cases. Dell Opti something. But I think now that FreeFD is available via XPUIPC, and the Linux installation I want to use has a GUI, I will slowly start setting up my el'cheapo spares with Linux OS', and see what they look like as far as running networked XPlane.