PDA

View Full Version : yoke integrated controls

tankist80
05-04-2009, 10:40 PM
for now (and unles i hit some roadblock) i plan on using circuitry of logitech extreme 3d pro for my yoke (4 axes total). so while 2 axes are obviously utilized to pick up yoke position i left with 2 more. was thinking to employ one as elevator trim and put it right on the handle (not sure whether left or right yet) actuated by a thumb. which pot would you use for this task - standart almost a turn, 3 turn or perhaps full 10 turn pot?

what would you think the best task for the last axis left? aileron trim, or a rudder, or? (there will be no controls on the box itself, only the yoke)

also what do you use the Hat swithch for? i have trackIR to look around, trying to find a use for hat. what wiould you use any more additional Hat switches (from other joysticks ) for ?

thanks!

AceTeam
05-11-2009, 10:29 AM
Hi,

If you are making your yokes based some what around a real yoke. Use momentary rocker switch as Trim switch instead of POT.

I am not sure how many bits is Logitech. I assume it won't be more than 8 bits plus i doubt it has jitter/spike filter. You would be better off investing in a USB Joystick module that accepts large variety of POTs and is 12 bits resolution (4096) steps.

Regards,
Ali - 737yoke.com

tankist80
05-11-2009, 03:41 PM
thank you for your reply
it is impressive device that you making .

well "Yokes" is very generously speaking :) i'm not planning on building lots of them. as far as how close i want to replicate the real thing, probably not very. I don't have a particular aircraft in mind that i want to recreate.

i'm not bent on having analog trim on handle or using logitech guts. the only reason i mentioned is i alredy have the electronics (old joystick with shot pots) and kinda want to utilize as much of it as possible without getting out of the box.

AceTeam
05-11-2009, 03:48 PM
Right Okay. I thought you were making two. hence "yokes"... ;)

No idea which pots will fit inside your yoke without some information.

Regards,
Ali - 737yoke.com

tankist80
05-11-2009, 04:41 PM
No idea which pots will fit inside your yoke without some information.
\

oh, that is not a concern. the generic radioshack-type ones did fit inside the current handle prototype with some drilling/cutting of the handle/pipe. its bulging out a bit but when finished i think it should not look/work too bad. (i will post some pics once i make it all look somewhat presentable. )

the question was more along "if you have analog control on you yoke what would you assign it to" (i can only come up with elevator trim) with "should i bother with analog controls on a yoke at all?" question hidden in it :)

i do realize real planes don't have analog controls on them (or do they?) however as i said i'm not modeling it after a real one at this point. i will consider your suggestion going without analog controls on the handle at all so not to make into F1 steering wheel. but i can't help it - i like buttons and switches :roll: .